Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh yeah, I was just hoping for this year. Like, Halloween or Christmas. :sassargh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want another trailer :f5:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dammit. :(

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Mother pus bucket.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I knew the world was going to end before we got GB3. I knew it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Valentine's day. Bummer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, I was just hoping for this year. Like, Halloween or Christmas. :sassargh:

Just :lol: if you think the 'rona will be done with us before Christmas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Iron Crowned posted:

Just :lol: if you think the 'rona will be done with us before Christmas.

Thanks for the unwarranted pessimism.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I feel like movie theaters are going to suffer for a while even after the virus is gone. No one’s going to want to sit indoors watching movies after doing nothing but that for months.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I don't know, I reckon people will miss the cinema, it's a different experience than at home.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

They're likely right though.

You should know; you're a doctor!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They're likely right though.

You should know; you're a doctor!

I’m not that sort of Doctor!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Thats just being realistic. Especially in the US where people are flagrantly ignoring distancing guidelines because "we can't let the enemy win" mentality, this is a problem that's gonna persist for months.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even with thorough social distancing the virus is widespread enough that it’s going to keep cycling through people who can’t/won’t self quarantine (health care workers, other essential services, people so poor that they need to risk going out to do whatever jobs they can) and won’t just burn out in the next few months. We’re looking at several months followed probably by staggered rollbacks to normalcy, it won’t just be like “welp it’s July, everything is going back to normal!”

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Even with thorough social distancing the virus is widespread enough that it’s going to keep cycling through people who can’t/won’t self quarantine (health care workers, other essential services, people so poor that they need to risk going out to do whatever jobs they can) and won’t just going to burn out in the next few months. We’re looking at several months followed probably by staggered rollbacks to normalcy, it won’t just be like “welp it’s July, everything is going back to normal!”

Trump implying everything was gonna be fine and dandy by Easter Sunday was irresponsible at best, downright criminal at worst. I understand the idea of slow rolling the news of "we need to keep quarantining for another month", but people are getting unrealistic ideas of when things are gonna be safe again.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm not saying i'd sucka dirty dick to see the movie, but i'm not not saying it.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Kevyn posted:

No one’s going to want to sit indoors watching movies after doing nothing but that for months.

Something something Goons

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

When will it be over?

I don't know.

*drinks*

I don't know.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Those traps I'm seeing pictured in Walmart for $20 look awesome :britain:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Those traps I'm seeing pictured in Walmart for $20 look awesome :britain:

Huh. It looks like the spirit trap exactly with a wire pedal instead of a button on the handle.

I’ll def pick up the pke meter to go with my spirit trap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My local Walmarts still haven’t had the traps in. Definitely going to pick up some when they do come in, keep one, and then bring the rest to the UK.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1263509648663023616?s=19

What if the same poorly edited improv and funny faces but, like, two more hours of it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

8one6 posted:

What if the same poorly edited improv and funny faces but, like, two more hours of it.

Dear God, NO.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

8one6 posted:

I liked it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I legitimately wonder if it would help the film, at least with the story and motivations for certain things. Maybe not ALL of the cut footage but there was a lot that seemed unnecessarily sped up, plot wise.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Those proton packs they had were Very Cool

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We need the Feig cut. It explains why all those people were frozen in a dance pose towards the end of the movie!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah we got the #FeigCut but what we really needed was a cut that followed the actual script to complete cohesive character arcs instead of improv'ing every scene into oblivion so everything ran together in a sea of bad jokes

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
like, i bet somebody could make a funny movie out of all the footage.

you know, not any of the people involved apparently, but somebody

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

8one6 posted:

There oughtta be a law that says that directors aren't allowed to cut movies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah we got the #FeigCut but what we really needed was a cut that followed the actual script to complete cohesive character arcs instead of improv'ing every scene into oblivion so everything ran together in a sea of bad jokes

How much of that cut is just Chris Hemsworth at the desk doing shtick with his logos?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There have been some good examples of how weak directing let the film down by comparing it to the original. When you look at Feig's other work like Bridesmaids and The Heat, which often have long set pieces, it's clear with hindsight that is not really what the highlights of the franchise are about. 2016's proton pack test scene vs 1984's lift scene, for example. I genuinely think 2016 could've been a lot better with some script changes, reining in the improv and changing the tone.

This is well worn territory I suppose. I am just an old man shouting at a cloud about practical effects and trapping ghosts not killing them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The theatrical cut already felt like 3 hours so I can't even imagine an actual 3 hour cut.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I swear there's a lot in GB16 somewhere in there. Something about the bicentienial in New York and the lay lines and Patty's whole background of knowing city history. I swear, there was a plot in there and they forgot it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

text me a vag pic posted:

I swear there's a lot in GB16 somewhere in there. Something about the bicentienial in New York and the lay lines and Patty's whole background of knowing city history. I swear, there was a plot in there and they forgot it.

I've said this before but Kristen Wiig's arc is one that makes sense but is just directly undermined by all the ad libbing/improvisation. Her backstory is that she saw a ghost and nobody believed her so now she is obsessed with being taken seriously. In all the major plot beats this carries through: she is timid until she finds proof, then her confidence swells, then she comes crashing down when faced with scrutiny. But then there's extended scenes where she's like, doing a bit with McCarthy about the plot of Dirty Dancing or whatever which just doesn't jive with what should be happening with her characterization. They could have paired the jokes with her upswings of confidence but it really just happens in whatever scene regardless of context, so even when she is supposed to be feeling defeated and resentful she's still just goofing off.

I feel like a lot of the production went like this. I.e. "oh this scene is supposed to have Patty explaining some ritual that happened in the subway tunnels 80 years ago but we had a really funny take where Jones went off on some tangent and we were all dying so let's use that one" etc. They seemed to choose funny improvised scenes in 90% of the cases and sacrificed characterization and story in the hopes that how much fun they were all having on set carried over into the audience experience.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Speaking of 1984, I saw Kindergarten Cop again the other day and it has a similar original score to Ghostbusters despite it not being Elmer Bernstein (Reitman directed both).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Speaking of 1984, I saw Kindergarten Cop again the other day and it has a similar original score to Ghostbusters despite it not being Elmer Bernstein (Reitman directed both).

Watch 'The Black Cauldron'; you'll hear parts that practically seem to be ripped directly from Ghostbusters. Both were done by Bernstein, one year apart.

Bam, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKGTYySx7bk

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a key problem is that improv-heavy works for romantic, screwball and/or gross-out comedies where everything's supposed to be silly, but sci-fi needs to be tightly shot and written to present the story and themes in a consistent and compelling way. The original Ghostbusters treated the supernatural elements entirely seriously, even when people make fun of them it's presented clearly as a coping mechanism and/or characterisation of how the characters have gotten used to weird poo poo.