Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Uber, but for ghosts.

Boo-er?

Under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hauntr

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There we go.

8one6
May 20, 2012

There are already a few hundred "EMF detect ghosts OMG!!!!111!!Eleventyone" apps. I can easily see someone making a horrible reboot an homage with a modern day Ghostbusters subscription app gig economy thing. Customers download the app that turns their phones into a PKE meter that can also call the ghostbusters if it detects ghosts, meanwhile the characters are out of work academics that had to pay for their own ghostbusting equipment and only have 30 minutes to bust Babylonian gods or else the customer will leave less than a 5-star review.

Instead of the EPA the antagonist is Jeff Zuckermusk, CEO of Hauntr, who's a billionaire. That's it, he doesn't have to be doing some shady poo poo with the ghosts (which he's doing anyway because who cares about fines when you're a billionaire.)

"Ghostbuster closed hellmouth in my bathroom but wouldn't let my 5 year old play with the proton pack. Said it's not a toy. VERY RUDE!!! No Tip! 1/5 stars"

8one6 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dawgstar posted:

They did that in the comics I believe.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was a riff on the 2016 movie (which they later had a crossover with) but a con artist steals specs for the proton packs and went into business with a photogenic all-female staff as Ghostsmashers, which turned out to be as bad an idea as that sounds. He actually ends up joining the Ghostbusters as a reserve member on work-release, since in a pinch he's at least someone familiar with the tech and not too freaked out by the supernatural.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

8one6 posted:

There are already a few hundred "EMF detect ghosts OMG!!!!111!!Eleventyone" apps. I can easily see someone making a horrible reboot an homage with a modern day Ghostbusters subscription app gig economy thing. Customers download the app that turns their phones into a PKE meter that can also call the ghostbusters if it detects ghosts, meanwhile the characters are out of work academics that had to pay for their own ghostbusting equipment and only have 30 minutes to bust Babylonian gods or else the customer will leave less than a 5-star review.

Instead of the EPA the antagonist is Jeff Zuckermusk, CEO of Hauntr, who's a billionaire. That's it, he doesn't have to be doing some shady poo poo with the ghosts (which he's doing anyway because who cares about fines when you're a billionaire.)

"Ghostbuster closed hellmouth in my bathroom but wouldn't let my 5 year old play with the proton pack. Said it's not a toy. VERY RUDE!!! No Tip! 1/5 stars"

Sounds like a sequel to GB ‘16.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was a riff on the 2016 movie (which they later had a crossover with) but a con artist steals specs for the proton packs and went into business with a photogenic all-female staff as Ghostsmashers, which turned out to be as bad an idea as that sounds. He actually ends up joining the Ghostbusters as a reserve member on work-release, since in a pinch he's at least someone familiar with the tech and not too freaked out by the supernatural.

That's Ron. He was based on Chevy Chase and I didn't realize that for 7 years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

text me a vag pic posted:

Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow. I need to know more about this character.

Edit: I'm going to add in my own holy poo poo, which is what I said out loud once I saw this picture of him.

That's the Chasiest Chevy possible.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not uncommon for comic book characters to be visually styled after celebrities, sometimes like they're being 'played' by them (Ultimate Nick Fury is a bit of a special case) and in this case it's going with the theme of picking up after the original movies - IE, still in the 80s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Chevy originally intended to be in the Ghostbusters cast?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Dawgstar posted:

Was Chevy originally intended to be in the Ghostbusters cast?

https://www.indiewire.com/2012/09/c...se-more-105590/

He says he was offered it and said no.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not uncommon for comic book characters to be visually styled after celebrities, sometimes like they're being 'played' by them (Ultimate Nick Fury is a bit of a special case) and in this case it's going with the theme of picking up after the original movies - IE, still in the 80s.

They also needed a scumbag to be scummier than Venkman, and that's Ron. Nobody likes Chevy IRL.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, interesting. I'd heard about Belushi and Murphy, but never Chase.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve read the Ghost Smashers arc in the comics and I still didn’t get that was meant to be Chase. Now it’s obvious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, interesting. I'd heard about Belushi and Murphy, but never Chase.

I think he's full of poo poo. Murray was attached to the project very early on, and he and Chase have a visceral hatred of one another.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timby posted:

I think he's full of poo poo. Murray was attached to the project very early on, and he and Chase have a visceral hatred of one another.

I assumed this too but they did work together on Caddyshack and there's a photo of Chase visiting the Ghostbusters set.

I could see it going either way since post-Belushi it was pretty much Murray's movie and he might not have wanted the competition for leading man, but it does seem they made up enough once they made the transition to movies that they weren't fist fighting each other on sight at least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

I assumed this too but they did work together on Caddyshack

They have literally one scene together, and everyone was so worried about the two of them coming to blows during the filming of that scene that Ramis made sure both of them were legitimately high as gently caress on weed prior to calling action.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Timby posted:

I tend to agree. He's trying to make it look like it was something other than his reputation that kept him out of big movies.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timby posted:

They have literally one scene together, and everyone was so worried about the two of them coming to blows during the filming of that scene that Ramis made sure both of them were legitimately high as gently caress on weed prior to calling action.

I wish I could see footage of Ramis coaching Murray and/or Chase into smoking more weed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They also needed a scumbag to be scummier than Venkman, and that's Ron. Nobody likes Chevy IRL.

It does mention the idea was basically Venkman minus his redeeming qualities.

Half the fun of the comic is having the Ghostbusters run into various stock characters and see how they interact; they meet a totally-not-Scully and Mulder at one point (and the 'Scully' ends up joining them as a government liason) and when working in France dealing with ghosts in the Louvre they have a French federal officer attached to the team, who says he's authorised to shoot the Ghostbusters if they cause too much damage to priceless artwork. (Venkman says 'That's probably fair.') They also give Winston some actual characterisation and backstory mostly based on cut content from the movie.

They also have a version of the goth chick from Extreme Ghostbusters. Extra meta since they also crossover with The Real Ghostbusters, and at a later point 'Blonde Egon' fills in for their Egon when he goes missing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Also all the weird crossovers are canon even if they can't directly name things outside of the crossover itself, like the inter-dimensional portal came from their crossover with the Ninja Turtles. Also, Gozer destroyed Cybertron.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does mention the idea was basically Venkman minus his redeeming qualities.

Half the fun of the comic is having the Ghostbusters run into various stock characters and see how they interact; they meet a totally-not-Scully and Mulder at one point (and the 'Scully' ends up joining them as a government liason) and when working in France dealing with ghosts in the Louvre they have a French federal officer attached to the team, who says he's authorised to shoot the Ghostbusters if they cause too much damage to priceless artwork. (Venkman says 'That's probably fair.') They also give Winston some actual characterisation and backstory mostly based on cut content from the movie.

They also have a version of the goth chick from Extreme Ghostbusters. Extra meta since they also crossover with The Real Ghostbusters, and at a later point 'Blonde Egon' fills in for their Egon when he goes missing.

Is there anywhere to read these digitally?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there anywhere to read these digitally?

I’d be very surprised if Comixology didn’t have them.

Amazon has the trades available to buy electronically too, for quite cheap.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comixology does have them, yeah. They've got pretty much everything these days.

Wish it wasn't so bloody hard to follow comics between all the titles and crossovers and changes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I just wish they'd collect all the crossovers into the hardcover collections they were putting out for a while.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a big Humble Bundle for the comics which is where I read a bunch a few years back. The comics are quality.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I think the IDW comics work like this: Ghostbusters, All-New Ghostbusters, etc. Every subsequent arc has a different title, like Mass Hysteria, Crossing Over, Big Kisses Little Slimer, GB x TMNT, etc etc.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

8one6 posted:

I just wish they'd collect all the crossovers into the hardcover collections they were putting out for a while.

I looked these up and the hardcover designs are fantastic.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ghostbusters-total-containment-book-1795941214

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I was looking at getting The Real Ghostbusters on DVD for my son when he's old enough to watch them (My son seemed to like the two bonus episodes which were included on a Ghostbusters 2 DVD), but I see there's a mess of different collections. I saw there was an $80 complete collection of every episode, which can't be found anymore, but there's also this collection which gets 111 episodes. Only $45 though, is it worth it given that it's missing about less than 1/3rd of the show? I want to make sure the best episodes are included in the collection.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I was looking at getting The Real Ghostbusters on DVD for my son when he's old enough to watch them (My son seemed to like the two bonus episodes which were included on a Ghostbusters 2 DVD), but I see there's a mess of different collections. I saw there was an $80 complete collection of every episode, which can't be found anymore, but there's also this collection which gets 111 episodes. Only $45 though, is it worth it given that it's missing about less than 1/3rd of the show? I want to make sure the best episodes are included in the collection.

I have no idea what the episode's list is there, but it the show is missing the Slimer and the RGB, I think it's still worth getting. I managed to score this bad boy last decade and I'm glad I did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have no idea what the episode's list is there, but it the show is missing the Slimer and the RGB, I think it's still worth getting. I managed to score this bad boy last decade and I'm glad I did.

That’s a holy grail of mine, and I’m always sad I missed it. My hope is they’ll do a BR version at some point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, if the series has the first couple of seasons before that crazy outfit hired by ABC's Standards and Practices got their hooks into it, you've got the best episodes. Or basically if you've got Lorenzo Music playing Venkman you're golden.

8one6
May 20, 2012

One of the few DVD sets that I own.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I have the firehouse box set and would be willing to sell it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

What's wrong with it?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

What's wrong with it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

Go on...

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I like the episode where Venkman fights Cthullhu on a roller coaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

I like the episode where Venkman fights Cthullhu on a roller coaster.

My first exposure to Lovecraft. It was one of the episodes (I believe for syndication, so they could get away with more) that felt legit creepy when I watched it as a kid.

Of course the Extreme Ghostbusters would fight the Cenobites so that was a thing.