Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

Why wouldn't it?

Yeah, people give Ghostbusters 2 poo poo for not having any new ideas, but the video game is just a highlight reel of things from the first movie that people might remember.

Some neat dialogue tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, so then you have a government agency dedicated to the elimination of badthought - sidestepping the question of why there are ghosts in the first place.

While there are a lot of jokes about Ghostbusters’ bad business practices, the point isn’t for the company to become more ‘ethical’ (with a nice benefits package for Winston, humane treatment of the ghosts, etc.). The fact that they can rule out chemical imbalances or brain damage seems to confirm Winston’s psycho-socioeconomic hypothesis - and Ghostbusters of any stripe are fundamentally unable to deal with these systemic causes of ghosts, in the same way that police don’t actually exist to ‘stop crime’.

I mean, this depends on how you treat ghosts. Ghostbusters 2 definitely has the socio-economic subtext with the mood slime and everything, but 1 seems to imply it's closer to a natural disaster, or a least a deliberately evoked man-made one given the building that's made as one giant summoning platform and all. The Ghostbusters are coded far more as firefighters than police, complete with being headquartered in an old fire station, and wielding devices that look like hoses. Mind you, private sector firefighting is kind of already a punchline, and kinda goes right with the in-universe ideas that the Ghostbusters are basically a protection racket. (which given they threaten to release a ghost if they aren't paid for the capture, they really aren't helping their case)

And a big part of adaptation/EU stuff with them actually plays up the science aspect a bit; a big part of the job is determining what exactly they're dealing with and whether it's actually a threat. Benign and even helpful ghosts show up (even Slimer seems to be helpful in Ghostbusters 2 for whatever reason, maybe touched that a human decides to go along with him hijacking a bus) and the cartoon in particular has the Ghostbusters helping out benevolent ghosts, spirits and miscellaneous weirdos.

I still like the old joke about how Ghostbusters is a game of Call of Cthulhu which got a bit out of hand, and somehow ends with the PCs having MORE San than they started with.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Ghostbusters 2 gave him a little justice with the Wiiiiiiiiinstonnnnnnnnn moment and his daring fire extinguisher rescue, but he really did deserve much more.

GB II isn't as good as the original, but it does have its moments, and the train tunnel scene is absolutely one of them. It still freaks me out even today, much like that shot of the Titanic in the harbour, with the endless rows of forlorn spirits marching off it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb6tz6ohprw

And Winston is the best.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The 'shut up about the rats!' and 'sorry, I missed it' are wonderful moments. Glad he got them. The former because that is likely the exact response that over 90% of the audience would have, had any of them been in the same situation.

STFU, Ray!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The only thing that really gets me about GB II is clearly Winston is there in the courtroom but doesn't stick around when the Scoleri brothers show up. Sure, they might have only had three proton packs but you could have had all four as evidence so he could have helped out. Or maybe at least showing him getting everybody out of the courtroom.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The only thing that really gets me about GB II is clearly Winston is there in the courtroom but doesn't stick around when the Scoleri brothers show up. Sure, they might have only had three proton packs but you could have had all four as evidence so he could have helped out. Or maybe at least showing him getting everybody out of the courtroom.

Or working the trap.

I've always assumed they kept it to those 3 because they wanted to keep the same loose story beats as GB1, so they needed their "these three guys blow up some place while fighting wacky cartoon ghost(s)" moment. It's disappointing to say the least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dawgstar posted:

Or maybe at least showing him getting everybody out of the courtroom.

That’s what he was doing according to something I read? Script, novelisation?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Very disappointing. We're not even given an explanation as to where he's going.

He's not there for the Ray's Books/Dana apartment scene, though I do get that that's more "Ray and Egon doing science, Peter is there because of his personal connection" reason.

We need an "Oops! All Winston!" super edit of the movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

That’s what he was doing according to something I read? Script, novelisation?

Definitely not in the shooting script, quite possibly in the novelization.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Even with all that I still walked away from GBII as a kid wanting to be Winston because he's the one that busts in the door and saves Egon and Ray from the fire.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Winston clearly left the courtroom to find his own lawyer

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Winston clearly left the courtroom to find his own lawyer

Ah, there we go.

This is it. It was set up years before.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Winston is definitely too smart to let Louis Tully decide his fate.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Was Winston even no trial with the other 3? He wasn't digging up Broadway, so why would be charged with anything?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Was Winston even no trial with the other 3? He wasn't digging up Broadway, so why would be charged with anything?

He wasn't on trial, he just checked in on the guys at the defendants' table from the gallery. And then disappears until the montage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just seems really weird he wouldn't be there, y'know... supporting his friends and coworkers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just seems really weird he wouldn't be there, y'know... supporting his friends and coworkers.

This is veering towards my observation that the Avengers aren’t friends, and ‘friendship’ is often deployed to depoliticize such as labour relations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He's there:

Then he just disappears like Timby says. That's why it always struck me as weird.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

There's a secret GB2 cut with 55 minutes of lost Winston scenes, including but not limited to: Winston saving that other lawyer lady, Winston regrowing his mustache, Winston obsessively researching trains, Winston does laundry, Winston shaving his mustache, AND MORE?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

He's there:

Then he just disappears like Timby says. That's why it always struck me as weird.

Holy poo poo.

I truly never noticed him there before.

:aaaaa:

Edit: weird... He's not there when Louis is talking about turning into a dog, but once Mr Fianella is on the stand, Winston takes his place in the audience.

Edit 2: and now he's gone again, and Fianella is back next to that really small guy.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 14, 2020

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i mean...why would he stick around? he's not getting paid and those three guys have it *shrug*

i thought the "ghosts" were just energy taking a form? they aren't "spirits of the dead" but a type of energy that collects and takes a familiar form (a librarian in a library, a glutton in a fancy hotel, a jogger running in the park). energy was coming in from another dimension along ley lines and making the home energy more powerful and dangerous
the problem comes in when you don't dissipate the energy, or send it into another dimension, but collect it. like putting too much air in a balloon! that's why crossing the streams works and why the ghostbusters had to "choose the form".

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The ghosts were for the most part people at one point. Some are demons / entities from other dimensions that take a monster like form.

Gozer being an old God that is pretty pompous decides to let it's victims choose the form of their destruction. Unfortunately for Gozer marshmallow men can melt.

Gozer had previously been chosen to be real scary things with some serious killing power like a Sloar.

waldo pepper
Mar 18, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Or working the trap.

I've always assumed they kept it to those 3 because they wanted to keep the same loose story beats as GB1, so they needed their "these three guys blow up some place while fighting wacky cartoon ghost(s)" moment. It's disappointing to say the least.

This was so obvious it even annoyed me as a kid, the way the movie copies so many of the story beats from the first movie, even down to having a climax with something gigantic marching through the city, except this time it’s on the good guys side!

It’s a shame because there’s some stuff in it that’s super memorable. I still think the idea of an abandoned subway tunnel deep under the city is super atmospheric, and there’s some great creepy individual scenes, like when they find the river of slime in the Vigo photos. It’s just every good scene is surrounded by like a worse, less funny retread of something from the first movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The ghosts were for the most part people at one point. Some are demons / entities from other dimensions that take a monster like form.

Gozer being an old God that is pretty pompous decides to let it's victims choose the form of their destruction. Unfortunately for Gozer marshmallow men can melt.

Gozer had previously been chosen to be real scary things with some serious killing power like a Sloar.

There was some concept art I once saw that theorised how Ghostbusters ghosts develop- ones of humans start out looking as they did in life, but over time they start losing their memories and sense of humanity and become focused on particular fixations and motivations, and become more inhuman and grotesque as a result, like how Slimer has pretty clearly let his gluttony and indulgence take over his mind.

Gozer strikes me as a type who's alien enough to not really understand humans or the whole physical dimension thing, so letting humans decide what it SHOULD look like makes things more convenient. Unfortunately they didn't count on how pop culture and advertising has done weird things to the human imagination. There is a bit in the comics where Gozer DOES realise how silly their form is and wants to change it, but apparently it's kinda stuck.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There's something like that in an old game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
well, now i just feel bad for ghosts :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was some concept art I once saw that theorised how Ghostbusters ghosts develop- ones of humans start out looking as they did in life, but over time they start losing their memories and sense of humanity and become focused on particular fixations and motivations, and become more inhuman and grotesque as a result, like how Slimer has pretty clearly let his gluttony and indulgence take over his mind.

I never realized until this moment how badly I wanted a Ghostbusters/Supernatural crossover.

8one6
May 20, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I never realized until this moment how badly I wanted a Ghostbusters/Supernatural crossover.

https://youtu.be/Nsy06n-omrg

The whole thing is fun but skip to 7:15 if you just want to see the Sam and Dean

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

Right? I had a dream not too long ago that was pretty much just the episode 'When Halloween Was Forever' which was a big deal at the time, airing in prime time and everything as a Halloween special alongside like Charlie Brown and Garfield.

I miss those days; it was exciting as a kid to watch a cartoon, on prime time, on a school night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ew_wOOjcD4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

From Reddit, but the newspaper shot from the montage is actually from the final scene:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Wait, there are people who didn't notice that until now? God, how many times have I watched this movie that I figured that was commonly known?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Wait, there are people who didn't notice that until now? God, how many times have I watched this movie that I figured that was commonly known?

Seeing it now seems so obvious, but I never noticed it.

Just like how it was only a few years ago that I noticed Egon signaling how much Peter should charge the hotel, or the Stay Puft billboard shown on the side of the building at one point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Just like how it was only a few years ago that I noticed Egon signaling how much Peter should charge the hotel,

To be fair, that was lost in all the years of 4:3 broadcasts and VHS tapes. It wasn’t until widescreen became a thing that Egon became properly visible during that scene (and the entry to the hotel).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, you can’t be blamed for the Egon joke, that literally disappeared until the DVD release.

But then again I have seen the movie enough times that people can just quote one line at me and I will immediately be able to do the next scene and a half without blinking. I maybe have seen it too many times.

If that’s possible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Cameo posted:

But then again I have seen the movie enough times that people can just quote one line at me and I will immediately be able to do the next scene and a half without blinking. I maybe have seen it too many times.

If that’s possible.

"Spate's catalogue... "

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tobin’s Spirit Guide.

Tell you what, I’ll accompany Miss Barrett back to her apartment and check her out.
... check out Miss Barrett’s apartment.

Please, let me. If somethings going to happen here, I want it to happen to me first.

... that’s the closet.

They hate this. I like to torture them. That’s right boys! It’s Dr. Venkman! ... lotta space. Just you?

Yes.

Good.

What is that thing you’re doing?

It’s... technical. One of our little toys.

I see. ... that’s the bedroom, but nothing happened in there.

What a shame.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Tobin’s Spirit Guide.

Tell you what, I’ll accompany Miss Barrett back to her apartment and check her out.
...I'll go check out Miss Barrett’s apartment Ok?

Please, let me. If somethings going to happen here, I want it to happen to me first.

... that’s the closet.

They hate this. I like to torture them. That’s right boys! It’s Dr. Venkman! ... lotta space. Just you?

Yes.

Good.

What is that thing you’re doing?

It’s... technical. One of our little toys.

I see. ... that’s the bedroom, but nothing ever happened in there.

What a shame.

"crime".

To quote Peter again...

"Close, but definitely wrong."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

*gets jolted, spits gum out*

It’s an entire movie in my head, I’m not gonna nail every word.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Cameo posted:

*gets jolted, spits gum out*

It’s an entire movie in my head, I’m not gonna nail every word.

Pretend I made a really clever Ready Player 1 joke here. I don't know anything about the book beyond the main character regurgitating 80s pop culture but I feel like there's something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"He gooped me."