Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venkman is equally at home as a huckster and genuine supernatural investigator, because the line is so thin between kooky occult ramblings and an aspect of reality that's poorly understood to the point where most people only recognise its existence when it becomes too much of a nuisance to ignore. (Possibly summed up in his negotiation with the mayor; "If we're wrong, we go to jail. We'll go quietly, even. But if we're right... you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.")

I don't really understand the need to do an autopsy of the most recent Ghostbusters film. I've always understood the original to be a movie that has no right to work at all. It knits together sci-fi, comedy, and drama into a tight package through heroic efforts of some very funny comedians at the top of their games who decided afterwards that they didn't like each other very much.

The above is just one more instance of it. Venkman is a horrible rear end in a top hat who should rightfully ruin the film. This isn't groundhog day, where this horrible rear end in a top hat learns to not be, so why does his character work? Because he walks that tightrope between the huckster ghost chaser who indeed in this day and age would have a reality show, and an honest to goodness scientist. And also that's exactly the person who could bridge the gap between a politician and an Egon Spengler.

The most recent Ghostbusters movie tried to do something with the ghost chaser thing but guess what: it's hard. To make that work you need to catch lightning in a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostbusters 2016 didn't need to catch lightning in a bottle, it just needed to be a movie people like. Anyone expecting it to equal or surpass the original was being unrealistic.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If GB16 had been a better movie in some way (other than the cast who are rock solid) it would have been better recieved.

But I'm not hear to talk about the third best Ghostbusters movie, I'm here to let you know that Ghostbusters World (AKA pokemon Ghostbusters) is now out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ftt.gbworld.aos

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
IAP ahoy! To change your appearance, buy gems!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Caught Slimer last night at a restaurant before they brought the appetizers, took care of the dancing toaster in the parking lot on my lunch break. Haven't gotten deep enough to say how fun it is yet, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

deoju posted:

Caught Slimer last night at a restaurant before they brought the appetizers

Dodged a bullet there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

8one6 posted:

I'm here to let you know that Ghostbusters World (AKA pokemon Ghostbusters) is now out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ftt.gbworld.aos

Says preregister for me. How are you getting it early?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dunno, I didn't do anything special.:(

Lurdiak posted:

Dodged a bullet there.

Yeah, I know. Disgusting little blob.

The_Doctor posted:

IAP ahoy! To change your appearance, buy gems!

You were the poster going to NYC on vacation, weren't you? I'd be interested if the game has anything special around the movie sites.

Also, I'm not usually into mobile games, let alone freemium games, but I'll kick them so dough just to demonstrate my desire for Ghostbusters content of any variety.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 24, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

deoju posted:

You were the poster going to NYC on vacation, weren't you? I'd be interested if the game has anything special around the movie sites.

I was! I did! I had been hoping the game was out when I got to NYC but no such luck. :/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
NBD.

I might be going back next fall. I'll go to the firehouse for sure, since last time it was covered in scaffolding for renovation. I need a good pic.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Says preregister for me. How are you getting it early?

I pre-reg'ed about a month back. That might have something to do with it.

So the busting of ghosts is pretty cool. I managed to catch a fearsome flush in the break room at work. It feels like the game is a bit target rich right now because I've managed to capture about 6 different ghosts just sitting on my couch after work, but that may be an intentional design decision compared to PokeGo.

The ghost world ghost team fights are neat. My team so far is Slimer, the librarian ghost, Sandman, and some random griffon I caught.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 24, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I’ve had a decent roster turn up without even leaving my house, and I’ve got 2 gates in that radius too.

“Forget about cockroaches. It's the subway rats you gotta worry about. Big as beavers!”

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am jealous of your stove exhaust hood. My kitchen isn't built right for that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

GORDON posted:

It’s a fantastic kitchen all over. The major downside is we’re moving out in a week. :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GORDON posted:

Do you live in Reform, Alabama?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

twerking on the railroad posted:

Venkman is a horrible rear end in a top hat who should rightfully ruin the film

Venkman's markedly more of an rear end in a top hat in the second film, which adds to overall effect of it being a charm-free copy of the first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One thing about Venkman that shows up from time to time in the cartoon and comics, which I think is fairly true to the film, is that he's just as smart as the other two scientists, having two doctorates and all, and able to understand and keep up with them for the most part, but unlike Ray and Egon he doesn't have much of a work ethic. A case or two in the cartoon apparently had him invent an impressive device or two, which can't be replicated because he didn't take notes.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hmm... What could this be? :confused:

:eek:

:aaa:

:aaaaa:

:psyboom:

:getin:

I've wanted to open a box like this for most of my life and now it is finally here. :shobon: Gonna be lots of fun putting it together.

I hope you all like progress pics, because you are getting a poo poo ton.

Oh, here's a link if you are interested. :shepspends:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My first memory is watching Ghostbusters alone in a theater with my father and my sister in the middle of the night.

For years, I thought I'd fabricated this memory, because Ghostbusters came out before I was born, but I later found out it was re-released in 1985, which matches up perfectly with my recollection.

See, I was deaf until I was three years old, and brains being as weird as they are, I don't remember anything before I got my hearing back, so I'd be coming online, so to speak, just as Ghostbusters was re-released.

My father was a projectionist, as was my grandfather. The old man had keys to every theater in town and, working night jobs and sleeping through the mornings, he didn't get to see his kids much. So on rare occasion, when we were too young for school and didn't need to be up early, he'd come home after midnight, wake us up, and take us on an adventure.

My first memory was a happy one, spending time with my family and falling in love with old broken down theaters with their mildew smells.

My family has never gotten along too well. We'd get in fights and go years without speaking to one-another. No board game night ever ended without somebody flipping the board over and storming off.

But movies? We loved us some movies.

We'd fight through Thanksgiving all day and even through dinner, but after dinner, there'd be a movie, and being a projectionist, the old man always had an A+ surround sound system and as big a TV as we could afford on what he made. And so we'd sit, in his home theater, putting our differences aside for either a classic, or an eclectic, overlooked gem.

He'd throw on Who'll Stop the Rain, All That Jazz, Avalon... (you cut da toikey witout me, the old man would relentlessly quote every year.) Somehow we'd all missed out on The Shawshank Redemption, but we discovered it one Thanksgiving.

But it all started with Ghostbusters.

I'd go on to become a projectionist as well. A job I'd hold until the digital changeover when there stopped being projectionists. Unable to spread joy by showing stuff, I learned to make stuff. Went to film school.

While I was in film school, the old man got cancer. After a two-year fight with some false hope when they declared him cured, he called me one day and told me I had to get on a flight to Utah (where he moved so his girlfriend could be with her family,) because it was Saturday, and he'd be dead by Thursday.

I flew to Utah where as always, the family fought, because we were all raised by him, so we all acted like him, and there can really only be one him in any room at any given time.

I'm the loudest person my friends know, and I'm the quiet one in my family.

But Wednesday night, his last night as a functioning human being on this planet, we decided the best way to spend it was watching a movie together. We threw out suggestions. And I wish I'd picked Ghostbusters, because it would've made for a better story, but in the end, I suggested Iron Man, because a tentpole blockbuster without too much depth seemed brainless enough for us to digest while we were all grieving horribly.

He really liked it. He said it was a lot of fun. And he gave me a hug, and I told him I was sorry I wasn't able to become a success before he passed, and he told me that I was still in school and there was time for all that, but that he knew I'd be alright, because when I was still in high school, we lived with his mother, and I helped take care of her when she was sick before she died, and teenage him never would've done that, so he raised his kid to be better than himself, and that was enough. I cried my eyes out. I'm crying them out typing this, to be honest.

And that was that. He went to bed and that was the last I ever saw of my father

Ghostbusters was my first memory, and it was a memory of getting along with a sister with whom I no longer speak, and a father I fought with frequently who's passed on. But he showed me, always, that movies can bring people, even people who can't get along in the best of times, together.

The fighting would stop during the movie. Every time. And it would never pick back up. We'd be too busy sharing observations about the movie. And nothing else mattered.

And I've spent my entire life working in and around film in one way or another, sometimes as a hobby, sometimes for money, but always with love. And it all began with Ghostbusters.

Fitting, since the specter of my father and his love of all things movies will haunt me for the rest of my life.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wow.

Thanks for sharing that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah, that was a powerful read. Thanks for sharing it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

I've wanted to open a box like this for most of my life and now it is finally here. :shobon: Gonna be lots of fun putting it together.

I hope you all like progress pics, because you are getting a poo poo ton.

Oh, here's a link if you are interested. :shepspends:

Holy poo poo, I thought the Anovos kits were never going to actually happen.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I waited more than a year and half after ordering to get mine. When I paid they were going $600, because they are now $950 I assume they hosed up their estimate of materials+labor pretty significantly at first. They've added a bunch of newer, hotter licenses in the meantime which probably put it on the back burner. I'm glad I didn't cancel my order though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

Yeah, I waited more than a year and half after ordering to get mine. When I paid they were going $600, because they are now $950 I assume they hosed up their estimate of materials+labor pretty significantly at first. They've added a bunch of newer, hotter licenses in the meantime which probably put it on the back burner. I'm glad I didn't cancel my order though.

Anovos are currently having their Black Friday sale with 35% off in stock items, putting the proton pack back at $600 for now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ahahahaha.

Too late for me to do anything now that I've fallen in love with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is the main shell actually metal?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Fiberglass. Lots of pieces cast in some kind of resin, some metal fittings and greeblies.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
EPA dude shows up...
"Are you Peter Venkman?"
"Yes... I'm Doctor Venkman."

Walter Peck calls him Mister Venkman six loving times after that in their meeting.

The Magic Word isn't please... It's "Doctor." Venkman just wants the title he's earned with the PhDs.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

ruddiger posted:

The original Ghostbusters almost kill that maid in the hotel and apologize profusely. Kristen Wiig straight up murders Bill Murray's character and it's played for laughs.

Actually, in the deleted scenes, there's an alternative version where there's a white outline on the ground, to indicate Bill Murray is dead, and Kristen Wiig is absolutely gutted that she got him killed, and confesses it to the cop. None of the Ghostbusters make any jokes.

Instead there's a joke about the cop pointedly not writing down anything they are saying, becsuse he thinks they are taking the piss by talking about ghosts. And Melissa McCarthy gets more and more annoyed that he's not writing down their version of events: that a ghost threw Bill Murray out the window, which Kristen Wiig takes full responsibility for.

The fact they get grabbed by Homeland Security and taken to the mayor's office saves them from getting charged for murder.

It seems that someone mandated "You can't KILL Bill Murray!" so they got rid of the white outline, showed an ambulance driving off - to imply he might have lived - and has the characters making Patrick Swayze jokes to lighten the tone. So we're supposed to think he's just injured.

The deleted original was much better, I think, though it would have worked even better without the jokes about the cop not writing things down.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oof that Murray cameo was absolutely dreadful. It couldn't be any more obvious he didn't want to be there. Oh now I'm thinking about how Paul Feig is such a bad director again! *insert a 2 minute improv back-and-forth while a third party looks on annoyed here*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Improv is the worst thing that ever happened to comedy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its not. Hyperbole is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

Oof that Murray cameo was absolutely dreadful. It couldn't be any more obvious he didn't want to be there. Oh now I'm thinking about how Paul Feig is such a bad director again! *insert a 2 minute improv back-and-forth while a third party looks on annoyed here*

I generally enjoy GB2016 and I have the Blu-ray, but the slavish cameos and callbacks to the original movie are the weakest part of it by far. And, yeah, the Murray bit was just so painful, and to make matters worse, it went on for-loving-ever. The only cameo that didn't make me groan was Ernie Hudson's.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Improv didn't kill comedy, but shooting open ended, almost script-less sequences where the actors just riff endlessly until they feel like they got enough of something they can stitch into a movie most definitely killed comedy.

I guess unless you're Curb Your Enthusiasm, which can pull it off. Anyone else though? No.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thinking of something in the moment that's funny and keeping it is great. Relying on that isn't a good strategy.

To keep this ghostbusters related "that would have worked if you hadn't stopped me" was improved by Raimis, they mention it in the commentary track. Watch the nervous librarian guy, he is a little thrown off when they depart from the script. That's why it's a good comedic skill to have, you can just roll with it when your co-stars ad lib something worth keeping.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'd say that the reason the ad-libs in the original Ghostbusters work is because the script was pretty tight in the first place, so something that diverged from it had to be true to the character and really land to make it in. Apparently Feig only ever took to heart the parts of these commentaries and articles that said "did you know X famous line from a movie was actually an AD LIB???" and decided that the entire movie would be that great if he just let his actors riff forever. Coincidentally, it lets him and Dippold off the hook for actually having to write the thing, they could just put down some broad strokes and let everyone else fill in. Ramis seemed much more specific about his scriptwriting and the things that he found funny or interesting, which is probably why Ghostbusters 2016 seems to be lacking a real creative voice.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Well also when you have a movie that is just improv you gently caress up the narrative momentum. OG Ghostbusters has improv, but it never comes at the expense of exposition or moving the plot along. GB2016’s improv just dropped the movie stone cold dead because you never get just one good joke and move on, you get five unfunny jokes that last ten minutes. It completely cuts out the legs from under the movie and makes it really hard to get invested in what is happening. If the characters who are living in the world being portrayed don’t take poo poo seriously, why should we as the audience?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I listened to an interview with Paul Feig recently, and he said something that was very telling. He said he was 'slavish' to test audiences. So he basically has no artistic vision at all. It's just throwing a bunch of poo poo at the screen and seeing what a tired test audience laughs at.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Jose Oquendo posted:

I listened to an interview with Paul Feig recently, and he said something that was very telling. He said he was 'slavish' to test audiences. So he basically has no artistic vision at all. It's just throwing a bunch of poo poo at the screen and seeing what a tired test audience laughs at.

Yeah, if you wanted to grow mediocrity in a lab that's how you'd go about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sometimes a test audience has saved a lovely ending but seriously, that explains so much about Feig. No vision, no confidence, just hire funny actors and let them do whatever they want while he yells "more!" then cashes his million dollar check. The man's a genius