Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

That's because the deleted scenes have never been released, there are no special features of any kind on any release of the movie, not even commentary.

I know there was gonna be way more Ghostbuster Louis Tulley vs Slimer.

Yeah I saw a leaked deleted scene of Louis vs Slimer and others that are bootlegs. I don't get why Sony or whoever actually released the goods. They are clearly out there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'd love a director's cut of 2!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:same:

It’s a shame GB2 gets almost dumped to the wayside, when I’d be more than interested to see some behind the scenes info about it. I can imagine even Danny would be willing to do a commentary on it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timby posted:

... that line is from the first movie, when they're all in jail.

Then what did he say in the court room when they were about to go on trial?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The_Doctor posted:

It’s a shame GB2 gets almost dumped to the wayside, when I’d be more than interested to see some behind the scenes info about it. I can imagine even Danny would be willing to do a commentary on it.

The cut stuff from GB2 just sounds so utterly bizarre, it almost seems like a completely different movie was built from the pieces. I’d really love to see how the full possession subplot was supposed to unfold.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Probably not that much really. He gets weird with the painting, drives the Ecto 1 badly, then gets momentarily possessed at the end right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Then what did he say in the court room when they were about to go on trial?

He tells them the judge is an rear end in a top hat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Aykroyd says he recorded a commentary, but I imagine that GB1+2 Blu-ray pack is the last we'll ever see from that movie.

Fart City posted:

The cut stuff from GB2 just sounds so utterly bizarre, it almost seems like a completely different movie was built from the pieces. I'd really love to see how the full possession subplot was supposed to unfold.

A huge chunk of it was re-shot late in production (they were doing re-shoots well into March of 1989, and the movie was due in June), and the cut scenes we do have are interesting in that they're basically alternate versions of what's in the final film.

And yet we still haven't gotten to see the scenes of Eugene Levy as Sherman Tully. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

Aykroyd says he recorded a commentary, but I imagine that GB1+2 Blu-ray pack is the last we'll ever see from that movie.

2019 = 30th anniversary edition? :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

2019 = 30th anniversary edition? :ohdear:

in glorious 4k :pray:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

in glorious 4k :pray:

GB2 is already available in 4K, so that bit is easy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ankylosaur is one of my favourite dinosaurs too! :3:

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I guess he got over his dad saying they were full of crap:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jason-reitman-ghostbusters-director-1203109264/

I really don't know what to think. I've enjoyed some of Jason Reitman's movies (in fact, "Juno" is one of my favorites), but in the past I've agreed with him that he wouldn't be the right fit for GB. But maybe that fresh, prestige-indie take could be a good thing.

My other feeling is that it doesn't matter which "universe" it's in at this point, since there's only so much mileage you can get out of the original characters, particularly after Ramis' passing.

You know, whatever. I'll be there opening weekend, assuming it actually happens. This franchise has its flaws, but it has my heart as well. What can I say.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'll believe it when the start filming.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bring back Sigourney and Ernie thats all i really care about

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I always though that a cool thread to follow for a side-sequel would be Tobin's Spirit Guide. Make it about Tobin's kids or grandkids, who are maybe estranged or something, and reunite to finish their father's work, and in the process stumble across some kind of ancient Lovecraftian horror.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

I always though that a cool thread to follow for a side-sequel would be Tobin's Spirit Guide. Make it about Tobin's kids or grandkids, who are maybe estranged or something, and reunite to finish their father's work, and in the process stumble across some kind of ancient Lovecraftian horror.

We already have a template for the "Guide book within the cinematic universe gets spun off into it's own movies" idea with the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movies and uhhhh I'd prefer they didn't do that with Ghostbusters.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We already have a template for the "Guide book within the cinematic universe gets spun off into it's own movies" idea with the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movies and uhhhh I'd prefer they didn't do that with Ghostbusters.

Well for starters I wouldn't commit a five picture franchise to it.

I think the best best for a Ghostbusters sequel (if indeed there must be one) is kind of spreading the scope a little bit, though. If you try to recapture the structure of the original movie, you're going to keep failing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm really not looking forward to this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The casting call apparently mentions teenagers, we're totally getting The Extreme Ghostbusters.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean isn't that why we all love Ghostbusters? Dorky teens shooting proton packs and spitting out one liners? Man I wish I was those teens!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

Well for starters I wouldn't commit a five picture franchise to it.

I think the best best for a Ghostbusters sequel (if indeed there must be one) is kind of spreading the scope a little bit, though. If you try to recapture the structure of the original movie, you're going to keep failing.

Move the location to a new city, and have it be about a group of franchisees starting up a new ghostbusting outfit. That way it's not really a direct sequel or a reboot, but a side story that has a different set of problems, and you could even have a cameo by a retired ghostbuster giving advice to the new guys or whatever.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The teaser trailer that just dropped hit every god drat note I want from a new Ghostbusters praise the lord hail satan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://ew.com/trailers/2019/01/16/jason-reitman-ghostbusters-movie-teaser/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just want Sony to stop making movies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It looks like a fan teaser, but I’m very excited.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A good honest fun ghostbuster movie would be fun.

A movie of "he, remember this from the original trilogy? we have scenes that will remember that, oh the nostalgia!" is dog cum served cold and mixed with rat killer.

That scene looks like the type of wrong poo poo we are getting.

If you watch the original movie, they took that car only because they were sort of money and they were really happy about opening a new company and try to live that adventure on their lives. It was a dumb car and a bad options, but it ended working for them.

Making a movie in 2019 with the same car is like, you did not understood the original movie and you don't understand 2019. Or you don't loving care. We know the right option is "you don't loving care".

A good ghostbuster movie made in 2019 would be complicated to make, but possible. A really potent mix of horror and humor would be tremendous. But maybe they want to sell memorabilia instead. The world reduced to the gift shop in a museum.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
So you're saying any new GB movie should ditch Ecto 1 :raise:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I think a fundamental building block of a “good” ghostbusters movie is having a legit, true-believer lunatic like Akroyd involved at a script or directing level. One of the things I love about the first film in particular is, although it uses the supernatural for gags, there is always an undercurrent of legitimacy applied to it: the librarian becoming an eldritch horror, Venkman screaming as Slimer rushes him, Stay-Puft’s face changing in anger. Nothing is really treated flippantly. The gag with that dragon thing perched on Leslie Jones’ shoulders? That’s not the tone. You need someone at a foundational level that believes in the supernatural to give it that kind of weird nod to horror that is in the first two films.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like a low budget crash grab, which I can't actually say about the remake strangely.

I just can't get on board if there's no New York City involved. New York sarcasm is the lifeblood of the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not talking about anyone here but it's REALLY telling how many people are like "Aha, this one is guaranteed to be good, unlike the last one", when we know jack and poo poo other than Sony is unwilling to stop trying.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bacon Terrorist posted:

So you're saying any new GB movie should ditch Ecto 1 :raise:

The OG Ecto 1 was the only hunk of junk they could afford at the time. A new Ecto 1 should be a more current hunk of junk, like a rusty rear end late 80's Suburban

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

I think a fundamental building block of a “good” ghostbusters movie is having a legit, true-believer lunatic like Akroyd involved at a script or directing level. One of the things I love about the first film in particular is, although it uses the supernatural for gags, there is always an undercurrent of legitimacy applied to it: the librarian becoming an eldritch horror, Venkman screaming as Slimer rushes him, Stay-Puft’s face changing in anger. Nothing is really treated flippantly. The gag with that dragon thing perched on Leslie Jones’ shoulders? That’s not the tone. You need someone at a foundational level that believes in the supernatural to give it that kind of weird nod to horror that is in the first two films.

At the very least someone who knows about the occult enough to write a fictional plot that feels like it could be based on some real ancient text somewhere. It's a subtle I guess but the end result makes a huge difference. Stuff like "The Traveler has come!", Louis rant about the giant slor, name dropping Sumeria, etc.

I think its easy to forget how much those things made the original feel like the unique mix of comedy and horror that it was. The 2016 movie came off like just a run-of-the-mill ghost story by comparison, at least Viggo had like a Vlad the Impaler motif going on.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Teek posted:

Looks like a low budget crash grab, which I can't actually say about the remake strangely.

You're basing this on a 30 second teaser trailer?

e: I will say that the license plate annoys me. It wouldn't have looked like that in 1989 and NY didn't go back to blue and gold until 2011.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 16, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm continuously baffled why loving Ghostbusters keeps getting dug back up in attempts to franchise it when even the the 2nd movie with the entire original cast was pretty much dogshit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

I'm continuously baffled why loving Ghostbusters keeps getting dug back up in attempts to franchise it when even the the 2nd movie with the entire original cast was pretty much dogshit.

A. GB2 wasn't really dogshit and people don't think of it that way. It was underwhelming, nothing more nothing less.

B. It made 200+ million in 1989 money

C. It set the franchise up as a merchandising cash cow for years to come and was crucial to cementing GB in the minds of late 80's kids who were not born or infants when the original was released in 1984.

Yea, why would a corporation want to try to reproduce something like that, a multi-generational money making machine? We all know how corporate honchos hate that sort of thing.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GB 2016 is just a bad movie and the controversy was insane. GB3 was the video game and im going to be first in line to watch this movie

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Who the hell is test firing a proton pack at a barn in the middle of nowhere!? I am assuming it's Ray's family farm they put three mortgages on.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The only thing that makes GB2 “bad” is that the first movie exists to compare it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You're basing this on a 30 second teaser trailer?

e: I will say that the license plate annoys me. It wouldn't have looked like that in 1989 and NY didn't go back to blue and gold until 2011.

I'm basing it on the a rumor from someone who reportedly read the script awhile back, saying it was a smaller focused movie set in the country. The teaser seems to confirm that earlier report. They said it was a good script, just not really like the previous movies.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 16, 2019