Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lastdancer posted:

Ghostbusters vs. Beetlejuice

Actually looking at the Sony-owned studios they totally could do a Ghostbusters vs. Boogeyman. Why the hell not
I can do you one better:

https://youtu.be/wfYlTtA7-ks

Skip to 7:15 for the relevant bit (although the whole video is really well done and worth a watch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Literally nothing about that video was what I expected. Pretty pro-click here.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Literally nothing about that video was what I expected. Pretty pro-click here.
That’s just part 2, he’s done others:

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/5aF94oZlph8

BATHROOM SPINOFF:

https://youtu.be/ZjtjORHViMs

Slasher movie mash-up:

https://youtu.be/wzOGdOEtvD8

His stuff is really creative and really well done. When I think of the concept of “let’s mash together every movie ever in one big crossover”, I never expected anything as coherent and clean as these. There’s a ton of Easter eggs in the backgrounds, both audio and visual. He put a ton of work into these.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Well I guess I'm here to say that Afterlife was good not great. It was quite clear to me that the folks who made it care very much about the original property and worked really hard to make a film that would not be an affront to that which I think they succeeded in. They also made a film that in no uncertain terms absolutely does not need to exist. They told us a story that set out to conclude something that was already closed and finished.

I had a good time! I just left the theater feeling just kinda okay about it. I really wanted to love it, and I only liked it. I thought the humor was decent (Paul Rudd is def the best part although his jokes as Clortho to Zuul fell real flat to me ) and I think the set design and tools were all really cool and good. There was a lot of nostalgia, but I felt like the folks in the film are as excited about as we the audience are supposed to be and that helped with the numerous "remember that!" moments the film presents.

2016 at least gave us a great soundtrack with a ton of remixes and reuses of the original theme that I revisit and were good. I can't really think of anything I would take and care enough about to carry forward from this film. It was here, it was fine. You could easily never see it and not IMO really be missing out on anything to the GB universe.

Gonna agree that the Ghost Egon sequence isn't awful per se, but it is way way too long.

I also apparently only caught the mid credits scene since it felt like such a throwaway there wasn't gonna be anything else after it all (I also had a real head scratch when Sigourney Weaver's name shows up in the credits then guffaued good when it cuts right to her). Guess I'll have to watch it again for that at some point once its digitally available.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 7, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Well I guess I'm here to say that Afterlife was good not great. It was quite clear to me that the folks who made it care very much about the original property and worked really hard to make a film that would not be an affront to that which I think they succeeded in. They also made a film that in no uncertain terms absolutely does not need to exist. They told us a story that set out to conclude something that was already closed and finished.

I had a good time! I just left the theater feeling just kinda okay about it. I really wanted to love it, and I only liked it. I thought the humor was decent (Paul Rudd is def the best part although his jokes as Clortho to Zuul fell real flat to me ) and I think the set design and tools were all really cool and good. There was a lot of nostalgia, but I felt like the folks in the film are as excited about as we the audience are supposed to be and that helped with the numerous "remember that!" moments the film presents.

2016 at least gave us a great soundtrack with a ton of remixes and reuses of the original theme that I revisit and were good. I can't really think of anything I would take and care enough about to carry forward from this film. It was here, it was fine. You could easily never see it and not IMO really be missing out on anything to the GB universe.

Gonna agree that the Ghost Egon sequence isn't awful per se, but it is way way too long.

I also apparently only caught the mid credits scene since it felt like such a throwaway there wasn't gonna be anything else after it all (I also had a real head scratch when Sigourney Weaver's name shows up in the credits then guffaued good when it cuts right to her). Guess I'll have to watch it again for that at some point once its digitally available.

For me the most amazing thing was how good Sigourney Weaver looked for 72, especially compared to Ackroyd and Murray. During the final scenes the movie seemed less ghostbusters and more Ghosts vs. Zombies.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 22, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

text me a vag pic posted:

I'd be fine with any ending to a Conjuring movie that didn't involve the loving Warrens.

There'd be something funny with Venkman recognizing them for the con artists they are because game recognize game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I'd be fine with any ending to a Conjuring movie that didn't involve the loving Warrens.

I'm okay with it because they're both dead so now it's them being exploited by the Conjuring movie folks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Everyone posted:

For me the most amazing thing was how good Sigourney Weaver looked for 72, especially compared to Ackroyd and Murray. During the final scenes the movie seemed less ghostbusters and more Ghosts vs. Zombies.

Kinda mean-spirited to poo poo on those guys for not having a bunch of work done and actually letting themselves age. (tbh I did refer to them as Damned Ackroyd and Ill Murray to a friend)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 8, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kinda mean-spirited to poo poo on those guys for not having a bunch of work done and actually letting themselves age. (tbh I did refer to them as Damned Ackroyd and Ill Murray to a friend)

I didn't mean to poo poo on them. I thought their look worked for them in the final battle. You could see the losses and pain of the last couple decades on them (though Ernie Hudson looked pretty good for his age, too). It was just the contrast of Weaver and Murray sharing the screen. He looked his age and she's apparently been "Mid to Late 40s" for the past 25-30 years.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Weaver talked about disliking cosmetic surgery in 2010 and mentioned taking better care of herself as she's aged. Ackroyd and Murray were probably fuelled by coke and booze until the mid 80s.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did Sigourney Weaver actually have work done or are you assuming a woman must have had cosmetic surgery if she aged remotely well?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Did Sigourney Weaver actually have work done or are you assuming a woman must have had cosmetic surgery if she aged remotely well?

What an odd conclusion to jump to. I assume anyone in Hollywood who doesn't look their age has had work done. When I think of celebs who have had work done I think of Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Stallone, hell I recently watched the Hulu series Only Murders in the Building and so Steve Martin and Martin Short are on my mind as far as "has definitely had work".

The point was more like, hey let's lay off people like Brendan Frasier and Helen Hunt (and yes, Murray and Ackroyd), who apparently lack Weaver's spectacular genetics and aren't having much work done. This isn't an insult at them - they don't look "bad", they just look like they've actually aged the appropriate amount.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 9, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

What an odd conclusion to jump to. I assume anyone in Hollywood who doesn't look their age has had work done. When I think of celebs who have had work done I think of Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Stallone, hell I recently watched the Hulu series Only Murders in the Building and so Steve Martin and Martin Short are on my mind as far as "has definitely had work".

The point was more like, hey let's lay off people like Brendan Frasier and Helen Hunt, who apparently lack Weaver's spectacular genetics and aren't having much work done. This isn't an insult at them - they don't look "bad", they just look like they've actually aged the appropriate amount.

John Carpenter was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OilisaAv0I

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm okay with it because they're both dead so now it's them being exploited by the Conjuring movie folks.

This cheered me up a little.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Weaver and Cassandra Peterson are sharing the fountain of youth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Australian wide release date has been pushed forwards three weeks from January 22 to January 1 but Hoyts cinemas will be holding an advance screening on December 10

Ugh I won't be able to make the screening so now I won't be able to see the film until 2022. :(

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Haslab pack has met all stretch goals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Haslab pack has met all stretch goals.

:toot:

Time to finally back it, I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They should definitely do a PKE meter next with movie accurate sounds. The Matty one was great, but the sounds being way off are still a sore point.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

They should definitely do a PKE meter next with movie accurate sounds. The Matty one was great, but the sounds being way off are still a sore point.

The first thing I do when I turn on my Matty meter is mute the gently caress outta it.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I have just returned from afterlife, I very much enjoyed it. It handled the originals and their effect on the world well and certainly buries the remake alive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The first thing I do when I turn on my Matty meter is mute the gently caress outta it.

:hmmyes:

The beeping is deeply annoying.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Extra row of tits posted:

I have just returned from afterlife, I very much enjoyed it. It handled the originals and their effect on the world well and certainly buries the remake alive.

I'll agree with some of that. I kind of liked the 2016 movie. For people skeptical about how the crazy stuff from the first two movies could be forgotten, imagine trying to explain President Donald Trump to people even twenty years in the future.

Still Afterlife missed a few beats. Unlike the other movies, the setting, which in their cases was New York City, never seemed to come alive as its own character. This setting, a small town whose name I can't even remember right now, felt more like an empty sound stage for the most part.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I didn’t mind the town, felt it fit nicely

SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS DONT CLICK

The small mining town that is dying since shandor closed down

The only minor niggles I had were
The mine was the local teen hangout and never once did they use the working lift to go inside

And

no one believing Egon about Gozors return, Ray at the very least should have known the details and Egon could prove it all true instantly

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

-Jesus, the bible

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

:toot:

Time to finally back it, I guess.

Goddamnit I'm really tempted to back it at the buzzer. Someone talk me into/out of doing it.

Edit-- I did it. :suicide:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One of us, one of us.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
People already trying to resell their pre-orders on ebay for a profit lol, glad I backed it. Odds on a bonus stretch goal for comprehensively smashing all goals?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

One of us, one of us.

Between the proton pack and then the neutrona wand (because it doesn’t make sense to get one without the other) I’m telling myself it’s a ready-to-go cosplay kit right out of the box that’s higher quality and cheaper than anything I’d be able to do myself, with no effort involved. I also got a substantial Christmas bonus so it’s not like I can’t afford it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If it helps you feel better about your purchase, you can always see if your area has a local Ghostbusters chapter that you can do charity events with. I'll definitely be getting a lot of use out of that thing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m unemployed so I can’t afford the Haslab kit, but I can afford a bunch of cheap filament for my 3D printer, and I have enough time on my hands to make one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn’t mind the town, felt it fit nicely

SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS DONT CLICK

no one believing Egon about Gozors return, Ray at the very least should have known the details and Egon could prove it all true instantly

I might be remembering wrong but I think Ray said that Egon suddenly took off with most of their stuff then called him ten years later to explain. Even if that's true, it then goes against Egon's character to just suddenly leave like that without explanation. Either way it's a bad plot point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

If it helps you feel better about your purchase, you can always see if your area has a local Ghostbusters chapter that you can do charity events with. I'll definitely be getting a lot of use out of that thing.

I’m looking into the Phoenix Ghostbusters, they’ve got a website and a Facebook page and stuff. Granted I can’t do a whole lot until next year when the pack shows up. Well I can still volunteer, but I don’t get to bust ghosts. :smith:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I might be remembering wrong but I think Ray said that Egon suddenly took off with most of their stuff then called him ten years later to explain. Even if that's true, it then goes against Egon's character to just suddenly leave like that without explanation. Either way it's a bad plot point.

Honestly the least believable plot point to me was the idea that at some point Egon had sex with a female human and got her pregnant.

Beyond that... gently caress it. It was 37 years between 1984 and the current movie. That's plenty of time for some weird, bad changes to go down between the guys.

Hell, IIRC between Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II, Ray and Winston had become Ghostbusters birthday clowns, Peter was a talk show host and Egon was being very... Egon. And that was just five years out from the first movie. 32 more years after that leaves room for a lot of long, strange bad trips.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Everyone posted:

Honestly the least believable plot point to me was the idea that at some point Egon had sex with a female human and got her pregnant.

I wish we had learned anything at all about that person. I assume Callie was raised solely by her mother but I don't remember any details.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wish we had learned anything at all about that person. I assume Callie was raised solely by her mother but I don't remember any details.

That's how I recall it. Egon left them when Callie was very young, possibly before she was even born. He presumably maintained some kind of contact with Callie's mother to receive all those pictures but never interacted with Callie when he was alive.. But yeah, once thing I'd want from Afterlife II (aside from, y'know, an original villain not seen in the other movies) would be to meet Mrs. Spengler.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

As the basis for a sequel I’d use that RGB episode where NYC imports a castle from Ireland or Scotland, and all the ghosts come with it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

As the basis for a sequel I’d use that RGB episode where NYC imports a castle from Ireland or Scotland, and all the ghosts come with it.

that'd be a fun offbeat idea for a Ghostbusters sequel, so it'll never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I'd like them to use the Boogeyman. The Boogeyman is just a genuinely evil piece of poo poo that gets power and jollies from frightening children. If anything deserve a "cross-the-streams" proton blast in the face it's that loving thing. It's weird that for the most part the ghosts don't really seem to be hostile to humanity. They just want to do what they want to do (like eat iron or hot dogs) and that certainly causes problems for people, but the ghosts aren't really evil. Even in the first movie, Gozer didn't really come off as evil. It was just here to do the thing that it was supposed to do. It's just that it was basically summoned early because of Shador's hijinks.