Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Who the hell is test firing a proton pack at a barn in the middle of nowhere!? I am assuming it's Ray's family farm they put three mortgages on.

There won't be any barn in the movie. They haven't cast anyone yet or shot a single scene yet, teasers like that are the equivalent of Friday the 13th producers getting financing together based on a poster for an idea that didn't even have a script yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Not being like the previous movies is not a death sentence for a good movie. The crew of Alien hated the direction of Aliens and completely shunned James Cameron because they remained loyal to Ridley Scott yet both films own hard in totally different ways.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I legit believe trying to repeat the beats of the first movie is a death sentence. There is still life in the franchise, but they need to do something new with. Setting it in a small rural town is a good start. It immediately offers new environments and tropes to play with.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fart City posted:

The only thing that makes GB2 “bad” is that the first movie exists to compare it to.

If it was a standalone movie called "Gakbusters" or something it'd be remembered as a remarkably stupid cult curiosity for sure

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bacon Terrorist posted:

So you're saying any new GB movie should ditch Ecto 1 :raise:

Yeah absolutely. In fact, I'd love it if the new movie ditched as much iconography of the first movie as possible. There's so many things that made the first movie great, and the prop design is the least of it, as good as it is.

EDIT: Also GB2 has some memorable moments, but it's dumb as gently caress for trying to hit a reset button and then do all the beats from the first film again.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Any forthcoming Ghostbusters will have Ecto-1, the no-ghost logo, funny/scary ghosts, and proton packs. That'd be like Star Wars without light sabers and spaceships. It's something else entirely with out those.

I agree with you about GB2 though, it is too close to the first in a lot of ways.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DLC Inc posted:

I'm continuously baffled why loving Ghostbusters keeps getting dug back up in attempts to franchise it when even the the 2nd movie with the entire original cast was pretty much dogshit.

Sony wants their Star Wars or Marvel, bad.

Sure, Spider-man was a huge hit, but they had to share that with Disney and it burns them. And Venom was a hit, but it wasn't a billion dollar hit, and even though you can make plenty of money with mid budget movies that do well, the shareholders and executives consider anything less than Infinity War to be a waste of time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Actually, having the Ghostbusters mothballed after 2 and then someone finds everything packed away in a barn somewhere is a pretty decent concept IMHO

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think a story with Oscar as a Columbia University professor would be a good fit to show time has passed but its still cleanly in-universe. Have him and some fellow researchers out in the country investigating a haunting.

How shameless would a Egon ghost cameo be if they got the Ramis estate to sign off on it?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Who the hell is test firing a proton pack at a barn in the middle of nowhere!? I am assuming it's Ray's family farm they put three mortgages on.

Could be a Ghostbusters / Young Einstein crossover :hmmyes:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It will be in a small town. The cast will be adolescents who remind you of the stranger things kids. One of them will be related to Dan Akroyd. They’ll work with “uncle Ray” to repair some of the old equipment and fight a local paranormal threat with busted up gear that only works half the time.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Teek posted:

How shameless would a Egon ghost cameo be if they got the Ramis estate to sign off on it?
If his family signs off on it is cool in my book. No better tribute to a comedian than a joke IMHO.

So long as it is funny.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Egon died drilling that hole through his head.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DLC Inc posted:

I'm continuously baffled why loving Ghostbusters keeps getting dug back up in attempts to franchise it when even the the 2nd movie with the entire original cast was pretty much dogshit.

The original Ghostbusters was the 3rd biggest film of the 80s, only being beaten by ET and Return of the Jedi. (The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark made less on their initial releases but got re-released several times and eventually overtook it.) If you adjust for inflation it was Sony/Columbia's second biggest hit ever, only being slightly beaten 18 years later by the first Raimi Spider-Man film. And you know how Sony are obsessed with going back to the Spider-Man well as often as they possibly can ...

Sony are 100% certain that the Ghostbusters franchise is a licence to print money if they can just solve the puzzle on how reboot it just right so they are never, ever going to stop trying to remake it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ehud posted:

It will be in a small town. The cast will be adolescents who remind you of the stranger things kids. One of them will be related to Dan Akroyd. They’ll work with “uncle Ray” to repair some of the old equipment and fight a local paranormal threat with busted up gear that only works half the time.

Now this I can get into to

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Fart City posted:

I think the best best for a Ghostbusters sequel (if indeed there must be one) is kind of spreading the scope a little bit, though. If you try to recapture the structure of the original movie, you're going to keep failing.

I've often wondered if maybe, instead of making some bullshit excuse for people continuing to not believe in ghosts after witnessing a major disaster with no plausible non-ghost cause, they should play with the idea of mainstream society having to come to terms with the fact that ghosts are real. Seems like there'd be all kinds of fun stuff you could do with that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Actually, having the Ghostbusters mothballed after 2 and then someone finds everything packed away in a barn somewhere is a pretty decent concept IMHO

I hope Marky Mark finds it right next to Optimus Prime.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

The OG Ecto 1 was the only hunk of junk they could afford at the time. A new Ecto 1 should be a more current hunk of junk, like a rusty rear end late 80's Suburban

That's exactly what they did in Ghostbusters 2016. Ecto-1 from the original film was a 25 year old Cadillac ambulance/hearse, Ecto-1 in the 2016 film was a 32 year old Cadillac hearse.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fart City posted:

I think a fundamental building block of a “good” ghostbusters movie is having a legit, true-believer lunatic like Akroyd involved at a script or directing level. One of the things I love about the first film in particular is, although it uses the supernatural for gags, there is always an undercurrent of legitimacy applied to it: the librarian becoming an eldritch horror, Venkman screaming as Slimer rushes him, Stay-Puft’s face changing in anger. Nothing is really treated flippantly. The gag with that dragon thing perched on Leslie Jones’ shoulders? That’s not the tone. You need someone at a foundational level that believes in the supernatural to give it that kind of weird nod to horror that is in the first two films.

I don't think you need a believer for this. You just need someone who is willing to take something inherently silly and play it straight. Slimer, Stay-Puft, Gozer, Vigo...pretty much everything in both original movies is, frankly, silly to some degree. They're just played straight.

Gozer looks goofy as hell, but is an agent of destruction, and his agent is...a giant marshmallow man that crushes cars and climbs buildings. Vigo is a grumpy painting of the world's most constipated man, but is an immortal despot trying to be reborn to conquer anew.

It's the horror under the silliness that gives Ghostbusters its unique feel.

GB2016 failed at this more than anything. It was just...goofy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't think you need a believer for this. You just need someone who is willing to take something inherently silly and play it straight. Slimer, Stay-Puft, Gozer, Vigo...pretty much everything in both original movies is, frankly, silly to some degree. They're just played straight.

Gozer looks goofy as hell, but is an agent of destruction, and his agent is...a giant marshmallow man that crushes cars and climbs buildings. Vigo is a grumpy painting of the world's most constipated man, but is an immortal despot trying to be reborn to conquer anew.

It's the horror under the silliness that gives Ghostbusters its unique feel.

GB2016 failed at this more than anything. It was just...goofy.

Yea like I posted before, I think being a believer is less important than just having some basic literacy in these occult subjects so that the horror underneath the silliness feels legitimate. The way Gozer is described in Ghostbusters you'd almost expect to be able to look the name up and find him listed as an actual Sumerian god, it feels very believable in terms of something you'd find in a dusty old book in Ray's Occult.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Interesting that the co-writer of this new film is Gil Kenan. Ivan Reitman has said in an interview that his son had said "I know I always said I'm the last person who should make a Ghostbusters movie... but Gil and I have this great idea."

Gil Kenan has directed:

Monster House - a very well-received animated film, and one that I recall being quite dark and scary (for a kids' film)

City of Ember - a mediocre post-apocalyptic adventure for kids, starring teenagers... but which has Bill Murray in it! (I've not seen it.)

The 2015 Poltergeist remake - mixed reviews, many with the attitude "Why remake Poltergeist?" I've not seen it. But the more positive reviews say stuff like "The new Poltergeist might well be the scariest movie 13-or-unders have yet seen, just as the original was for their parents back in 1982." While others reckoned "It's not exactly a scary film, but it does provide an enjoyable ride."

One of the things I found laughable about Ghostbusters 2016 (despite enjoying the film) was that Paul Feig had claimed there were going to be some genuine scary bits in it, that it was going to combine comedy and horror, just like the original. There was no horror or scares whatsoever in Ghostbusters 2016!

Sony asked Paul Feig to make Ghostbusters because he had made some very successful comedy films... regardless of the fact that he had no experience with sci-fi, fantasy or horror. Paul Feig was reluctant - he himself didn't care much about Ghostbusters, and said that he hadn't watched it since college - but then agreed after he asked "OK, but I've got to be free to make a completely new movie that has nothing to do with the original movies, I want to do a story about them trying to convince people ghosts exist." Sony said sure... and then meddled in the film constantly to ensure it had continuous references to the originals. (Urgh.) Paul Feig wasn't a great choice to make a Ghostbusters film, AND Sony constantly interfered with the film he was trying to make. (Which might not have felt much like Ghostbusters, but might have been an entertaining silly film? Maybe?)

But Gil Kenan... he makes family-friendly fantasy/sci-fi/supernatural movies, that manage to be a bit scary for kids, but not scary enough to make them unsuitable for kids. (Except he usually directs them, rather than writing them.) But still, if Sony wants a family-friendly film that is both funny and a bit scary, starring teenagers... well, having the guy behind Juno and the guy behind Monster House sounds like a pretty good team for that. Even if one of them didn't happen to be the son of the original director.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

your evil twin posted:

The 2015 Poltergeist remake - mixed reviews, many with the attitude "Why remake Poltergeist?" I've not seen it. But the more positive reviews say stuff like "The new Poltergeist might well be the scariest movie 13-or-unders have yet seen, just as the original was for their parents back in 1982." While others reckoned "It's not exactly a scary film, but it does provide an enjoyable ride."

gently caress this movie!

A couple years back Walmart had a bunch of blu-rays on sale for $5 with a luchadore themed special edition cover. I wasn't planning on buying Poltergeist, but hell Poltergeist was a great movie I hadn't seen in many years, and for $5 I couldn't resist. One dark November morning, I'm pumped up to watch Poltergeist, I pop it in the player and I'm greeted by a lovely CGI menu. I didn't think much of it because lovely menus are a dime a dozen, and it doesn't matter what movie it is. I hit play, and then the menu basically panned out to become a tablet that some kid was playing a game on, and Sam Rockwell is Craig T Nelson.

I love Sam Rockwell, but he couldn't even save that garbage pile of a movie. At least the versions of The Fly, and Child's Play I bought that day weren't terrible remakes.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Mr Plinkett, as much as a lot of it was 'Melissa McCarthy is fat lol' made some good actual points about what was wrong with 2016. The kind of movie GB needs to be requires a tightly written script, Feig let the actors ad lib a lot in 2016. When they were doing the scripted joke the pacing was all wrong, again Feig's fault.

One of the reasons Venkman works so well beyond simply Bill loving Murray is his character is really a scoundrel who happily uses the paranormal as a grift when he didn't really believe in it, and when it becomes a reality he rolls with it because that's opportunity knocking as far as he's concerned. I think the new one needs a slick hustler type character in the team to retain the feel.

Imagine if it turns out this one is a live action Extreme Ghostbusters with Ray standing in for Egon :allears:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Rumours flying around the new lead characters will be a 12 year old boy and a 13 year old girl :what:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Rumours flying around the new lead characters will be a 12 year old boy and a 13 year old girl :what:

Ehud posted:

i'm trying to tell you guys

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
That doesn't sound very extreme

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Well, they'll probably only get to say "gently caress" one time, so...

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

That doesn't sound very extreme

what if I told you one of the kids is in a wheelchair

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fart City posted:

what if I told you one of the kids is in a wheelchair

They really made that work with the wheelchair guy being the team's fearless jock.

Alternatively: They end up ripping off Danny Phantom. I always felt that show had a natural shoo-in for a Ghostbusters crossover, with Danny's parents being fans of the original Ghostbusters.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bring back extreme ghostbusters the Burger King kids club hasn't had work in years. Although I dunno if goth girl still fits in 2019.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Those kids can't drive the Ecto One :bahgawd:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Those kids can't drive the Ecto One :bahgawd:

No

But Slimer can.

Ugh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They really made that work with the wheelchair guy being the team's fearless jock.

Alternatively: They end up ripping off Danny Phantom. I always felt that show had a natural shoo-in for a Ghostbusters crossover, with Danny's parents being fans of the original Ghostbusters.

Yeah but Danny Phantom was just 14 when his parents built that very strange machine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

banned from Starbucks posted:

Bring back extreme ghostbusters the Burger King kids club hasn't had work in years. Although I dunno if goth girl still fits in 2019.

Kylie’s in the IDW Ghostbusters comics, she helps run Ray’s Occult Books and is a part-time Ghostbuster when needed. And is still goth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

No

But Slimer can.

Ugh.

Slimer driving the Ecto-1 while jabbering like an utterly insane maniac gets me every time I watch GB2016.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yo, I’m totally fine with a paranormal My Girl. Small town, young leads, Akyroid working as a mortician, lots of heart. (I haven’t seen the movie in decades, so it might be worse than I remember.)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

nu Gozer takes the form of ghost bees.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Mr Plinkett, as much as a lot of it was 'Melissa McCarthy is fat lol' made some good actual points about what was wrong with 2016. The kind of movie GB needs to be requires a tightly written script, Feig let the actors ad lib a lot in 2016. When they were doing the scripted joke the pacing was all wrong, again Feig's fault.

It's way more than that. It's tone.

They took a very sarcastic, dry-witted film and turned it into a obnoxiously aggressive slapstick brainless comedy with surface level 'jokes.'

As RLM said.. sooooo... much.. dancing...

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Fart City posted:

No

But Slimer can.

Ugh.

Slimer and his girlfriend/wife Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's way more than that. It's tone.

They took a very sarcastic, dry-witted film and turned it into a obnoxiously aggressive slapstick brainless comedy with surface level 'jokes.'

As RLM said.. sooooo... much.. dancing...

They didn’t turn it into anything. It’s another movie.