Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does mention the idea was basically Venkman minus his redeeming qualities.

Half the fun of the comic is having the Ghostbusters run into various stock characters and see how they interact; they meet a totally-not-Scully and Mulder at one point (and the 'Scully' ends up joining them as a government liason) and when working in France dealing with ghosts in the Louvre they have a French federal officer attached to the team, who says he's authorised to shoot the Ghostbusters if they cause too much damage to priceless artwork. (Venkman says 'That's probably fair.') They also give Winston some actual characterisation and backstory mostly based on cut content from the movie.

They also have a version of the goth chick from Extreme Ghostbusters. Extra meta since they also crossover with The Real Ghostbusters, and at a later point 'Blonde Egon' fills in for their Egon when he goes missing.

Is there anywhere to read these digitally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

There is an offer on the table but I'll shamelessly admit that it will go to the highest bidder. tbrechlin / gmail

Edit: Proof that I have it in hand:

I have some many questions about this picture.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Karloff posted:

I think (hope) as well that the nostalgic elements will be more thoughtfully applied simply because it is the director's son that's doing it. It implies the resurrection of those elements might come from a more thoughtful, heartfelt place as opposed to a cynical fan bait one.

I think a lot of the negative reactions to the nostalgia overload of the climax come from a CGI Egon showing up for some smaltzy emotional climax to the family drama but most reviews can't mention that directly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Do they confirm who the families grandmother is?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Oh right, photo. The weathering is pretty slapdash, and not nearly as good as Adam Savage got.

Luckily I imagine the weathering is quite easy to pull back and redo but yeah, Adam definitely got one sent specifically to him that had extra care put into it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The artwork is great, and it just fleshes out the background to a majority of the ghosts from the movies and the cartoon. There's an entry on the Sloar that Louis mentions during his monologue to Egon for example. Is it worth $15? I'd say no, but definitely see if you can find it cheaper

Is it the same Sloar as in the game?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Where does the widely known version of the cover come from? The one that's just the title in a nice typeface.

Is that from the cartoon, or?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They have one of those in Long Beach California, without the hole. It's called the Queen Mary and it's a museum and tourist attraction, does very well as far as I know.

poo poo, I myself would pay to get a walking tour of the actual Titanic!

This is the kind of poo poo that Frozen Empire could show as some world building in the background but it definitely won't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CaptainN posted:

A UK version would probably have less Acaster.

Truest reaction to the trailer yet.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kevyn posted:

I can’t wait to see all the hijinks the mini stay pufts get into!

What's the over/under we get a yellow snow joke with them?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

looks like they found a fuckin way to shove in Vigo's slime into this movie...

The film features this spoiler heavily. They use the slim blowers to reverse the effects of the main villain. The main villain kills via fear itself, which visually presents itself as being frozen to death, but Egon sacrifices his afterlife to infuse his love for his family into the emotion slime and that love counteracts the fear so they spray everyone down with it and they unfreeze.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Adam Savage tours the firehouse set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6S6Adu0s84

E: they changed the red stripes along Ecto-1's sides and extended them down along the bonnet, it looks wrong

I actually kind of like this change. I noticed it in the trailer and it's a neat update to give this Ecto-1 a bit more personality.

Also if you're wondering why they spent so much time on the Firehouse set and why they filmed the majority of this in England it's because most of the film is a base-under-siege story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jason Reitman said he wanted the firehouse to feel like The Royal Tenenbaums.

Sold.

The Royal Tenenbaums but with James Acaster in a staring role sounds like torture, but okay.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Does grown up Oscar ever show up in these?

No, he's off somewhere living a happy, normal and unpossessed life. The source of this is Egon's Journal from the Hasbro HASLAB Proton Pack bonus unlocks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

That's good, that's basically what it deserves.

Just give us old man Ghostbusters for GOD'S sake.

Or the Seth Rogan one.

Good Lord, I don't want either of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

What Ghostbusters movie would you want? You get zero points for saying "I don't want one!"

I think that they have the bones of a good one already here, they just need to trim the fat and replace it with some genuine laughs.

Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Kumail Nanjiania and McKenna Grace are a great selection for the core team going forward. Keep the other Ghostbusters employees around, including the legacy characters. Get rid of Finn Wolfhard and the other child characters that they clearly don't know what to do with.

Remove some of the heart and internal motivations which these films keep leaning on, and replace it with external motivations and some genuine bite about being a worker in modern day America or something similarly more in tune with the original.

Get rid of a lot of the 'world building' and exposition. The original film accomplished with a handful of lines what this film felt the need to have an animated sequence for.

Any time you save cutting all that dead weight of the extraneous characters and exposition isn't used to make the film shorter, but to make it funnier. Get some loving comedy writers to look over the script and help out if need be.

But I don't want to see the old guys given the full weight of a film, it's clear that they can't carry that anymore and it would just be sad to watch, and I feel like Rogan and his style of humor and directing meshes even worse with Ghostbusters than what we have now does.