Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The rest of the scene immediately after that is also jam packed with characterization. When they step out of the elevator Ray and Egon are swinging their proton wands around like they're a SWAT team but Peter just ambles out without even turning his pack on, etc etc..

Someone pointed out something I found very interesting in one of the Star Wars threads, in that the Reboots and Remakes we see so often these days are reverentially focused on objects. In the example given, in The Force Awakens, Rey opens up a box and we get a lovingly focused shot of Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber. It fills the whole frame as if screaming 'THIS IS IMPORTANT.' In the original, Obi-Wan hands Luke the lightsaber, he swings it around a couple of times, puts it away, and that's that.

GB16 does the same thing, in that we get not only a montage of them testing out the proton pack, we later see one of the characters breaking down exactly what it does and how it does it a long scene of pointless technobabble jargon. In the original film once again, the proton packs simply show up in a scene. It gets mentioned that they're potentially dangerous, but they work, and that's all we the audience needs to know about them. Who cares how the trap captures ghosts? All that matters is that it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

text me a vag pic posted:

Improv truly is the greatest crime of our modern world.

The original Ghostbusters had a handful of ad-lib, most known is the drill-thru-the-head bit and response, it just needs to be consistent with the characters.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

So the original was on TV the other night, as it often is. When I was a kid, the terror dogs were the scariest thing in the world. And I thought Xenomorphs were cool as hell. My parents had cable and weren't very attentive to what I was watching.

Anyways, those things scared the hell out of me. And to this day, I'm pushing 40 and the scene of the gargoyles starting to fall apart just fills me with dread, starting as cold in the pit of my stomach. It's amusing to me that the movie STILL has an effect on me, and I've seen it dozens of times.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Had to tell an adult Buster that the inflatable pack he was wearing.. Was upside down. It's more common than you think!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

But would it have made Kevin Smith cry?

Probably! If Kevin Smith cried at Rise of Skywalker, he'll cry at anything.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Ghostbusters was a documentary, and the events occurred in real time.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I kinda wish there wasn't always some world ending threat. Just give me a movie of Ghostbusters cracking wise and catching ghosts.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

By far the biggest laugh in my theater was Patton Oswalt showing off his collection of rare wax cylinder recordings, "This one has Mary Todd Lincoln saying the F-Word!"