Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My take on GB2016 is that the first act is pretty good, the second act is serviceable, and the last act is utter garbage.

I loved pretty much any moment when it was just the crew hanging out together, reacting to weird poo poo, and investigating said weird poo poo. It went to hell the moment the big threat started driving the plot.

Also, this is the movie that proved (to me) that Chris Hemsworth is hilarious. There were always hints of it in his other roles, but I don't think he really got to cut loose before GB2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fart City posted:

I think a fundamental building block of a “good” ghostbusters movie is having a legit, true-believer lunatic like Akroyd involved at a script or directing level. One of the things I love about the first film in particular is, although it uses the supernatural for gags, there is always an undercurrent of legitimacy applied to it: the librarian becoming an eldritch horror, Venkman screaming as Slimer rushes him, Stay-Puft’s face changing in anger. Nothing is really treated flippantly. The gag with that dragon thing perched on Leslie Jones’ shoulders? That’s not the tone. You need someone at a foundational level that believes in the supernatural to give it that kind of weird nod to horror that is in the first two films.

I don't think you need a believer for this. You just need someone who is willing to take something inherently silly and play it straight. Slimer, Stay-Puft, Gozer, Vigo...pretty much everything in both original movies is, frankly, silly to some degree. They're just played straight.

Gozer looks goofy as hell, but is an agent of destruction, and his agent is...a giant marshmallow man that crushes cars and climbs buildings. Vigo is a grumpy painting of the world's most constipated man, but is an immortal despot trying to be reborn to conquer anew.

It's the horror under the silliness that gives Ghostbusters its unique feel.

GB2016 failed at this more than anything. It was just...goofy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Terror Dogs from GB1 scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. It wasn't just the look and the sound, it was also the whole "transform into them" aspect. I also saw Alien around the same time (I watched both from behind the couch when my parents thought I was asleep) and got this deep-seated fear of parasites.

The two kind of blended in my memory. For years, when I had a nightmare, it was inevitably some combination of being captured, implanted, and turning into/used for something.

This is why I think Fire In The Sky is the scariest movie ever made. It goes straight to my biggest childhood fears.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We came, we saw, we kicked its rear end!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some day, if I manage to achieve home ownership, the guest bathroom is going to have the largest possible print of that painting possible opposite the toilet, so Vigo can judge those who dare defecate in his presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

text me a vag pic posted:

"And it's PG! I'm loving tellin' ya it's PG!"

That got a good laugh out of me for sure