Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The game was especially fun on the Wii where you would use the remote to sling ghosts around. It does get a bit repetitive, and the end game is tedious but the story is fun and the VA work is solid having gotten the crew together for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I will reserve judgment on mini stay pufts until later, but they seem just as nasty and mean as the original sooo there has to be some hope it's gozer's influence seeping through still in some fashion.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep. Also they brought Stay Puft back several times in the cartoon, in one episode he'd become a good guy and helped them out by fighting a mantis kaiju that was running loose in NYC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM38xO9Ky5Y

I had this on VHS which was paired with the mansion Rosebud sled ghost story and THEY'RE SO GOOD.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Violator posted:

I happened to rewatch GB1 a couple weeks ago and some of the stuff I love the most is the things I didn’t pick up as a kid. Like after the hotel bust Egon subtly shaking his head and rubbing his nose with certain fingers to tell Venkman how much to charge. A weirdo scientist but a sly business man too.

This is the scene that made me really appreciate the difference between a widescreen theatrical print and the pan and scan VHS i watched until it died as a kid.

You literally can't see this joke in the pan and scan. They focus on venkman and you never really see his fingers doing that.

e: i am reasonably pumped for this new film, trailer was dope

e2: on the topic of RGB i had a VHS with Drool the Dog Faced Goblin, The Rosebud citizen kane one, and Murray the Mantis, and drat thats a really top notch collection of episodes now that i look back on it.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 6, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I can def see how Egon's description of the firehouse might be a negotiating tactic (which I'd never really considered), but the idea that the building is completely inadequate for their power needs frankly feels like its the one that may be most true? They probably had just enough room to squeeze the containment unit in the basement much less any additional support power supply which we never see anywhere around. Plus they seemingly only had enough cash to get off the ground, redundant safety systems might not be at the top of the spending list.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 9, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

One does wonder what John Candy would have been like.

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Candy would've been just as good in some aspects but there's a physical element to Louis as a character that only Moranis can embody so completely. He's the ultimate nebbish, whereas Candy was like a big cuddly teddy bear.

I think Basebf has got it. I think there is a quality to Moranis being a shrimpy kinda smaller guy that fits the role better than the bigger John Candy would have. Not to say that Candy would have been bad, and maybe that's just my love for how perfect I think GB84 is, but I agree with the idea that Moranis is still the better pick for the role.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

gregday posted:

Target also has pet costumes

Well I guess I know what I need to add to my wife's Target shopping list now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

If it follows in the footsteps of TFA I'll be entertained. Star Wars failed to do anything interesting or cool that was cohesive after they managed to regain some public good will with a familiar place for us to feel nice about. If they do sequels to this they'll need to be more thoughtfully done than the sequel trilogy was, but using that as a template to jump off from doesn't bother me much as a comparison. Show me new people doing the fun things I loved and it might not be the most interesting, but it will hopefully be fun and enjoyable which is better than a lot of films manage.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Well I guess I'm here to say that Afterlife was good not great. It was quite clear to me that the folks who made it care very much about the original property and worked really hard to make a film that would not be an affront to that which I think they succeeded in. They also made a film that in no uncertain terms absolutely does not need to exist. They told us a story that set out to conclude something that was already closed and finished.

I had a good time! I just left the theater feeling just kinda okay about it. I really wanted to love it, and I only liked it. I thought the humor was decent (Paul Rudd is def the best part although his jokes as Clortho to Zuul fell real flat to me ) and I think the set design and tools were all really cool and good. There was a lot of nostalgia, but I felt like the folks in the film are as excited about as we the audience are supposed to be and that helped with the numerous "remember that!" moments the film presents.

2016 at least gave us a great soundtrack with a ton of remixes and reuses of the original theme that I revisit and were good. I can't really think of anything I would take and care enough about to carry forward from this film. It was here, it was fine. You could easily never see it and not IMO really be missing out on anything to the GB universe.

Gonna agree that the Ghost Egon sequence isn't awful per se, but it is way way too long.

I also apparently only caught the mid credits scene since it felt like such a throwaway there wasn't gonna be anything else after it all (I also had a real head scratch when Sigourney Weaver's name shows up in the credits then guffaued good when it cuts right to her). Guess I'll have to watch it again for that at some point once its digitally available.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 7, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The upside to modern gaming is that if you own a recent xbox/playstation you've got a bluray player already.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

2016 is okay. It missed the charm of the original, and isn't nearly serious enough as a quasi remake of the original, but there are some funny moments.

More importantly the soundtrack is loving awesome. It's the best thing to come out of that 2016 film. It has about half a dozen remixes of the OG song that are good, and the Walk the Moon cover they did for the theme song was also very good (i admittedly really love that band so I enjoy their energy and they were p faithful in their cover imo).

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It ain't for us, all this new stuff is for the kids that watched afterlife identified with the kids and thought ooh more ghosts would be fun.

The franchise is really done for me in terms of excitement. The original is fantastic and everything else is just take it or leave it. I am not hurt by more, but I'm not really excited anymore.

I'd rather we get more fun video games than movies or tv shows. Turn the og cartoon into a series of games it shouldn't be that hard.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Did kids even like that last movie because the only reactions I heard were the blubbering grown rear end man behind me.

If I was a kid I don’t think I would’ve identified with any of them because they’re like little adults with adult hobbies and personalities.

Yeah I agree, but I saw a lot more kids rocking Ghostbusters stuff after it came out (GB has been p enduring with kids anyway i suppose) so some kids had to have enjoyed it unless their parents just forced them to wear afterlife/ghostbusters stuff. Usually the kids are the ones point that out asking for it, not the nostalgia ridden parents forcing the merch on them.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

GB2 is way scarier than GB1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Is that book any good? It’s $15 on Amazon but apparently it’s under 100 pages? There’s an “unofficial” one on Amazon that’s pushing 300 pages too, for $20.

I have a copy and its fun, and certainly presented as a neat companion piece for fans. I wouldn't say its a serious tome by any measure, but its kind of a neat coffee table sort of book.