Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I listened to an interview with Paul Feig recently, and he said something that was very telling. He said he was 'slavish' to test audiences. So he basically has no artistic vision at all. It's just throwing a bunch of poo poo at the screen and seeing what a tired test audience laughs at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was disappointed by Feig's Ghostbusters (didn't hate it, but certainly never need to see it again), and I'm one of the only people I know who saw The Heat and didn't laugh once.

But this year, Feig directed A Simple Favor, and it's one of my favorite movies of 2018. A top five movie for sure. It's an awesome, twisty, sexy neo-noir that's also drat funny, with the always adorable Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively actually doing some acting. It probably helps that Feig adapted it from a novel, but I can't rave about the movie enough.

He promoted that on the podcast I listened to and yeah I need to check that out. It's frustrating because he is a funny guy. He's got some good stories. He's worked and collaborated with lots of talented people. He's directed some of the best episodes of the Office. My favorite TV show is Freaks and Geeks.

Maybe he just needs to do projects that are actually interesting and not just let his buddies film hours and hours of improv cut down to 90 minutes. I"m not sure how to explain. It's like he needs something or someone to point him in the right direction instead of wandering aimlessly in improv hell.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I’m still trying to figure out who said “we should get the guy from Heavyweights and Ski Patrol to direct this movie!”

You know Feig did a ton of work on the US Office, right? He was also the other half of Freaks and Geeks. He has a pretty good track record. I don't like all his stuff, but it's not like he was some obscure choice for this movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I remember that thing from the first Ghostbusters movie!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw it last week at a theatrical showing. It's very obvious that Lewis is lonely and spends his time waiting at the door, listening in for Dana to walk by without even needing to show his POV. He pops out when Venkman walks over to her apartment for their date.

Any idea if they got Rick Moranis to come out of retirement for this new movie?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm sure everyone ITT has heard but the film has been moved yet again, this time to June 11, 2021.

I actually keep forgetting this new film is even a thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This was a bad movie. Making it a Stranger Things like kids movie was bad. Making it a soft reboot was bad. Re-hashing GB1 was bad. CG you know what was bad. Stopping the movie for 5 minutes to sell marshmallow toys was bad. Every time a “hey I remember thing from previous movie” appeared it was bad. “For Harold” my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was bad actually.

I just watched the clip and yeah it's bad. Just slow mo waving guns in the air while everything is added in post. But she licked the gun which is so cool, right?