Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ghostbusters is my favorite movie ever, and I'm glad for this thread.

I'm gonna spam some links...

*This book is great. I think I saw it for $20 at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago.
*Check out this video about the full restoration of Ecto 1.
*If you've got $350 burning a hole in your pocket, I suggest you pick up one of these. I waited 30 years to get to have one.
* https://www.gbfans.com has tons of info and resources to nerd out over.
*There's a mobile game in the vein of Pokemon Go coming out soon.
*So this one might be a buzz kill, but I think it is worth reading. It's ok to still love the movie and the character, but Venkman was probably a sexual predator. I tend to think that to truly love and understand something you have to acknowledge its flaws. My grandma used to say some unenlightened poo poo, but I still love her memory.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Food for thought post...
Read this..
Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OB3279Vt8Y

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ghostbusters 2 was rushed up because of the release of Batman the same summer. If they had time for a few reshoots I think it could have been considerably better. Especially the "I, Ray, am Viggo" sub plot.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hold it!

I want this man banned. Mod, this poster is in violation of the forums protection act. And this poo poo post is a direct result of it!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Mods, is this true?

This poster has no dick.

Just kidding, Timby. You are cool in my book. PS how do you know so much about restaurants in Madison?

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 1, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I visited New York about two years ago and I noticed a couple of things about the geography of the film. It's totally correct. It doesn't play fast and loose with the shape of the city.

Here's the distance Louis runs from the Terror Dog. 55 Central Park West to Tavern on the Green, that's where the rich people in the glass walled restaurant ignore him.

Here's the actual location of Hook and Ladder 8.

The map in the mayor's office is legit.*

Even better, this shot is right on. They might have cherry-picked a spot for the explosion that they thought looked best, but nope, that's right where it should be.

*Incidentally, I looked up the 53rd Precinct. It doesn't actually exist. However, it was the fictional precinct where the old cop show "Car 54, where are you?" was set. The show took place in the Bronx, where that guy is pointing.

Edit:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It'd be an interesting exercise to dig into the genre precedents of Ghostbusters. I watched the 1967 Hammer film Quatermass and the Pit
Me too, nice post.

deoju fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 3, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Going to the firehouse is a spiritual pilgrimage. :v:

I did a few other things that were fun.
*Sat right where Bill Murray did on the Columbia University campus when they went into business for themselves.
*Ran down the steps in front of the Public Library.
*Skipped and twirled by the Lincoln Center Fountain.

PS The_Doctor, I recognize your av from the lego thread. Go to the lego store at Rockefeller Center. The have neat displays and sculptures, and the Statue of Liberty minifig magnet is a cool souvenir. :)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

I thought where Ray and Peter were sat was fenced off?
Most of that spot is, but you can sit right where Peter does, you just can't stretch out completely.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Caught Slimer last night at a restaurant before they brought the appetizers, took care of the dancing toaster in the parking lot on my lunch break. Haven't gotten deep enough to say how fun it is yet, though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dunno, I didn't do anything special.:(

Lurdiak posted:

Dodged a bullet there.

Yeah, I know. Disgusting little blob.

The_Doctor posted:

IAP ahoy! To change your appearance, buy gems!

You were the poster going to NYC on vacation, weren't you? I'd be interested if the game has anything special around the movie sites.

Also, I'm not usually into mobile games, let alone freemium games, but I'll kick them so dough just to demonstrate my desire for Ghostbusters content of any variety.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 24, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
NBD.

I might be going back next fall. I'll go to the firehouse for sure, since last time it was covered in scaffolding for renovation. I need a good pic.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hmm... What could this be? :confused:

:eek:

:aaa:

:aaaaa:

:psyboom:

:getin:

I've wanted to open a box like this for most of my life and now it is finally here. :shobon: Gonna be lots of fun putting it together.

I hope you all like progress pics, because you are getting a poo poo ton.

Oh, here's a link if you are interested. :shepspends:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wow.

Thanks for sharing that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I waited more than a year and half after ordering to get mine. When I paid they were going $600, because they are now $950 I assume they hosed up their estimate of materials+labor pretty significantly at first. They've added a bunch of newer, hotter licenses in the meantime which probably put it on the back burner. I'm glad I didn't cancel my order though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ahahahaha.

Too late for me to do anything now that I've fallen in love with it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Fiberglass. Lots of pieces cast in some kind of resin, some metal fittings and greeblies.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
EPA dude shows up...
"Are you Peter Venkman?"
"Yes... I'm Doctor Venkman."

Walter Peck calls him Mister Venkman six loving times after that in their meeting.

The Magic Word isn't please... It's "Doctor." Venkman just wants the title he's earned with the PhDs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thinking of something in the moment that's funny and keeping it is great. Relying on that isn't a good strategy.

To keep this ghostbusters related "that would have worked if you hadn't stopped me" was improved by Raimis, they mention it in the commentary track. Watch the nervous librarian guy, he is a little thrown off when they depart from the script. That's why it's a good comedic skill to have, you can just roll with it when your co-stars ad lib something worth keeping.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The court room scene in GB 2 Winston is there before the trial starts, and then he just disappears for the rest of it.

Winston was a cool dude and should have gotten more time in the sequel.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

But yeah, he should have shown up when the trying to take down the ghost brothers.

It's a real bummer that he's not there. I can get why they might have wanted a segment of the movie with just Murray, Aykroyd and Raimis. But Hudson should have been in this scene too. I refuse to believe Winston would have hightailed it over some chumps like the Scolari bros.

It's now officially my head cannon that he is doing something heroic offscreen. Like CPR on some little old lady that had a heart attack.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'll believe it when the start filming.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Any forthcoming Ghostbusters will have Ecto-1, the no-ghost logo, funny/scary ghosts, and proton packs. That'd be like Star Wars without light sabers and spaceships. It's something else entirely with out those.

I agree with you about GB2 though, it is too close to the first in a lot of ways.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Teek posted:

How shameless would a Egon ghost cameo be if they got the Ramis estate to sign off on it?
If his family signs off on it is cool in my book. No better tribute to a comedian than a joke IMHO.

So long as it is funny.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just found out that Leslie Jones is 51. I've heard the expression 'black don't crack,' but that doesn't cover it. She looks loving great for that age.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Nobody reply to that jerk, he'll ruin the thread with that poo poo.

If you want to talk about what was or wasn't funny in the 2016 movie itself go hog wild.

Here, I'll start... Kate MacKinnon dancing with a blow torch made me laugh. The queef and "I got ecto plasm in my pussy" jokes were cringey.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was just thinking about their reaction to getting the first call the get in the 84 movie, and their first trip down the pole...

[edit: gently caress, how do you post youtube vids with a time stamp now? Skip ahead to 30 seconds...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXMcbhn6Np0

Ray is super loving excited, even to the point of being spastic. He springs up and rushes to the pole first, then flails around like a goober on his way to the lockers.

Peter is second. He moves quickly, but isn't really hustling. He reaches the pole just after ray in the first shot, but doesn't follow him down for a little while after. That's because, off screen, it is taking him a couple of seconds out the best way to go do the pole while bringing the dinner and chopsticks with him. Venkman isn't going to let the last of the petty cash get cold.

Egon is tinkering at a spare neutrino wand over dinner, ever the scientist. He rises, comports himself and adjusts his tie, but the last shot shows him terrified while going down.

From eating dinner to rolling out in Ecto 1. There are 3 shots there for a total of 20 seconds or so, but each actor packs a ton into their performance.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

never really noticed the pee tube on the suit before
It's for terror induced incontinence according to the compendium that came out a few years ago.

lol

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Read this story on screenrant today...

“Nobody’s offered me a job, but the reason I wanted to reach out to Jason, I remember him as a little kid on the set of Ghostbusters. The fact that he’s stepping into that, I think the fans have been wanting for it so no matter what happens, I know it’s going to be a great movie. I really respect him as a filmmaker. Obviously, I’d love to be a part of it but that hasn’t so far presented itself. I know that the movie will be good.”
-Ernie Hudson

I'm gonna be so bummed, and so pissed if Winston isn't back.

*The character worked with the old team: Winston was a great 'everyman' to play off of the others.
*The character could work with a new team: He'd be the perfect 'sage' to introduce new unbelievers to the supernatural. He didn't believe at first either.
* Nostalgia: People want to see the team back together.
*Cost: Hudson just isn't going to command the salary that Murray or Aykroyd are. You get more bang for your buck with him.
*Politics: Winston's black. The last movie became a cultural battleground because assholes didn't want to let girls into the clubhouse. How's it gonna look if the only person of color is left out of this one? It'd look lovely. Because it would be lovely.

Just loving hire the guy.

I'm seriously thinking of boycotting if Winston isn't in it.

Somebody do one of those hashtag things. The kids love them. #GiveUsWinston #MoreZeddemore

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 9, 2019

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/schemaly/status/1098317145774133254

https://twitter.com/JasonReitman/status/1098416898541215744

Gonna be really bummed if this movie causes a political/cultural poo poo storm before the cameras even start rolling like the last one.

Edit: Reading that article quoted in the first tweet gives me hope that they are approaching some things the right way though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 21, 2019

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:woop:

Wouldn't be the same without him.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Ernie_Hudson/status/1103398828172951552?s=19

:f5h::ohdear:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
“This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”-Jason Reitman in Entertainment Weekly

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I really want a scene or a line that acknowledges that they had more adventures after GB2.

Something like... "This is worse than the spectral schnauzer at Westminster Dog Show back in 97."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Not just for Ghostbusters, but I wish deleted scenes and alternate versions were universally available. Even stuff like unfinished special effects. I'd watch the poo poo out of anything like that. Having a writer/director/actor talk about failures in the creative process is really interesting.

Failure the best teacher is.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It's my head cannon that the in-universe legal entity known as 'ghostbusters' had to be dissolved between the two movies and that in order to avoid liability they had to create a new LLC that they named Ghostbusters 2. They had to change the logo too because the old company owned the old one.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
As much as I love it, the franchise doesn't have enough pull to justify starting a fifth movie before the fourth is out. A Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe is a pipe dream unless the next one is huge hit.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's good news, but I'm still waiting to hear about Winston. :ohdear:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Ghostbusters/status/1137522735293190147?s=19

That's a good sign wrt Winston.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They asked him to make a cameo in the last one, but he said no.

Here's a brief thing with some quotes.
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies...From%20%251%24s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've still got it on VHS. When my family ditched the vcr and all of the other cassettes I kept that one. I remember crying when I accidentally sat on the box and crumpled and tore it. Then I lovingly taped it back together. Later the labels on the top and side fell off I reattached them with the strongest compound I knew of, Elmer's glue. They are a little wavy and crooked. I guess my kid brain couldn't disassociate the physical object with the film, because I took care of it. I guess I still can't.

deoju fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 20, 2019