Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
5. Tap my Smith and Wesson Model 1, a twenty-two caliber pistol that uses the new rim-fire cartridges. Cowboy movies have shown me that blasting in the general direction works, but you need a lot of ammo to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

4. Finger the grip of my little nickel thirty-two, sneaky gun should go with our brawling focus.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like the description on the Colt Walker myself.

And I think a lot of people missed the conversation choice, so I say 2 for Iron Fillings cause it's in line with how snarky we were previously.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
2 on conversation, 4 on guns.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

1. A hand-cannon that can also be used to beat people to death, perfect for a no-nonsense woman like ourselves.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

1. A hand-cannon that can also be used to beat people to death, perfect for a no-nonsense woman like ourselves.

And the iron filings line.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
We're good at Brawling, so I'm not too worried about concealability. On the other hand we're not much with rifles, so a long-ranged pistol would be handy.
Let's take the Walker, and let's just smile at the gentleman.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

2, 5

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
5. Smith and Wesson Model 1

I like guns I can reload in less than a second comparatively.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Our dialogue choice seems solved, but there's still a three way tie between 1, 4 and 5. Do we want the biggest, most concealable, or quickest loading one?

Keldulas posted:

I like the description on the Colt Walker myself.

Unless this is a vote, in which case that would be enough to push it over.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’ll change my vote to Walker Colt to help us move along.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It's now a tie with gun #5. :colbert:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Voting 1, Colt Walker

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
The people have spoken! Bigger is better!

quote:

"I swear I can taste iron filings."

"Yeah, that's me alright," Denny sighs.

quote:

I need a gun that is also a rifle and that gun is the Colt Walker forty-four. It is always by my side.

It takes more than a little while to say a proper farewell to Denny, but soon you are saddled up and riding east. Ahead the Central Pacific boys are laying track that makes this stretch the last rail-connected bastion of civilization before you plunge into the unforgiving wilds of Nevada. Your pack mule, laden with grain and gear, lopes steadily on behind your slate-gray Grulla.

A ways ahead a bevy of carpenters raise the frame for a roundhouse. Farther along a work gang of thirty Chinese methodically spike fresh rails while more of their cohorts lay down wooden ties and fit in ballast to make everything settle properly. Beyond them are busy teams who dig cuts or dump dirt to make fills so the coming track can run steady and level. A distant explosion sounds out and judging from the rise of dust, the tunneling and grading teams are still miles ahead.

1. Head due east and keep heading east.
2. Follow the rail-layers for a ways.
3. Use the splendid map that Denny furnished to find the stage-coach road. Even if I somehow miss that, I should be able to see the twin tetons soon.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Read the map!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Y'all have bad taste in cool guns :colbert:

Well we have a map, we may as well use it.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

We asked for a map, we got us a map, let us use the map.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The map!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
If we have a map, we should use the map.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We have a map and wish to use it.

quote:

Use the splendid map that Denny furnished to find the stage-coach road. Even if I somehow miss that, I should be able to see the twin tetons soon.

You pass by the numerous crews. They are mostly Chinese except for the foremen. The men tip their hats your way before they resume their work. Farther ahead you pass by the surveyors who, with their plumb-bobs and sighting levels, methodically stake out the coming rail.

Before long those men are all left behind. The barren slopes and dry valleys seem to be the only things around but after a few days ride you finally sight the twin peaks. Eventually you come across the stage-coach road that is marked on your map. Though actually calling it a road is generous. The twin ruts meander through valleys in so lazy a way that they might well have been laid out by a madman. Still, those are wide enough that a stagecoach could follow them even at dusk.

A low thunder rises in the distance. Over shoulder you find curled white clouds streaming down the mountains you left behind like giant fluffy fish-scales. A sniff of the air brings with it the scent of a storm.

1. Find shelter and wait for it to pass.
2. It is nothing but a little rain. I can keep going.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
2 Probably a bad idea to get stuck out in a storm on a mountain by yourself. Besides, we aren't in any real rush so far.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Keep going for now.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Gonna suggest stopping and waiting. We're going by horseback, and the last thing we want is for the thing to slip and break a leg in some mud or get spooked by the storm and throw us.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Are you kidding me? I love rain!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It is a seriously bad idea to get caught in a flash flood. Find shelter and make sure it's on high ground.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It is a seriously bad idea to get caught in a flash flood. Find shelter and make sure it's on high ground.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Find shelter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Consensus was pretty clear- seek shelter.

quote:

Find shelter and wait for it to pass.

Unfortunately there isn't a lick of shelter to be found in these mountain slopes and narrow valleys. But somewhere down the 'road' there might be a town or a cold harbor of some kind.

1. Seek out shelter down the road.
2. Head up into the mountains to get away from any possible flooding.
3. Trot down into a valley where lightning won't strike.
4. Pitch my tent alongside the road and dig in.

Consensus also said to head for the high ground to avoid a flash flood.

quote:

Head up into the mountains to get away from any possible flooding.

You start up the mountainside and take to a crude animal trail that a big-horn sheep must have made. As your horse's hooves kicks rocks on down, a great wall of gray clouds looms overhead.

Bits of hail, ice as big as your fingertip, pelts you and your animals. Your mule abruptly slips its halter and races on down toward the valley. Flashes of lightning soon begin to dance upon the mountain top above and thunder strokes echo out almost as soon as you can blink.

1. Dismount and lay flat on the ground.
2. Turn around and ride down right now.

At least we won't drown.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Get flat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Agreed, lay flat.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Go prone.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Flat

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bye bye horse :( (lie flat obv)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ride down right now.

This is going badly, wonder where exactly we hosed up. :D

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sure hope we didn't need our pack mule's supplies for anything! We still have our horse, though. Lie flat and hope not to die.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 1. Dismount and lay flat on the ground.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Who's afraid of a little lightning? Answer: We are.

quote:

Dismount and lay flat on the ground.

You get down and force your horse to do the same. The terrified animal bucks and kicks helplessly as white-hot lightning fills the sky. Stone shatters nearby as part of the slope pulverizes, but thankfully none of it touches you.

When the storm at last moves on it leaves you drenched and shivering, but also alive.

quote:

After a miserable night of clammy rest you set out again to find that the land has been transformed. Green shoots and flowers litter the hillsides and ridges as if to greet the morning in bursts of brilliant colors. Between wet coughs you gaze across the transformed land and find a swollen river in your way. At least you know your mule hasn't passed this way, wherever the beast went. That is unless it learned how to swim.

This stretch of water might have just been a muddy stream yesterday, but right now it is a fast flowing chocolate serpent that slithers steadily south. Branches, leaves, and a few dead mice bob their way along in waters at least three feet deep. Not unmanageable, but certainly not a simple trot.

1. Try and cross on horseback.
2. Lead my steed across.
3. Rest up and wait for the water level to drop.
4. Go find my mule while the water goes down.
5. Look for a better place to cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is it actually possible to die in the storm?