Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Virtue is its own reward and our ancestors served the virtuous kingdom of Shu Han (I’ve been playing too much Dynasty Warriors again). No fee needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Waive the fee.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Waive fee.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah we are good.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Without a tax structure our pay is going to be voluntary donations. Might as well start now.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Being generous has a resounding lead, so let's get the show on the road!

quote:

"Now then, I have decided to waive my fee for this arbitration."

Mighty kind," Schmidt says to you.

(Honor increased) (Honor +4, Schmidt +5)

Things are settled, but your journey continues.

1. Head out, alone.
2. Invite Carson to ride with me for Preston Springs.
3. Invite Schmidt to ride with me to Preston Springs.
4. Invite both men to ride with me.

How do we ride?

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions:
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Broke.

Values:
Order: 53% Freedom: 47%
Honor: 56% Arbitrary: 44%
Law: 53% Individuality: 47%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 40%
Sharpshooting: 32%
Brawling: 34%
Riding: 25%
Survival: 24%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 10%
Explosives: 17%
Persuasion: 30%
Intimidate: 34%
Stamina: 26%
Resolve: 37%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 60%
Influence Schmidt: 60%
Influence Marshal James: 55%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We all ride together! Invite both our new allies.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What were some other outcomes for that encounter?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We just demonstrated and they agreed that they are both idiots. 1. Head out, alone.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

We just demonstrated and they agreed that they are both idiots. 1. Head out, alone.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

They're both idiots, but they might be useful idiots! Take 'em both!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

4. Ablative companion armour.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It also means we have to take all the cows along with us though.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

a marshal will need deputies. especially stupid ones that can take a bullet for us. bring them both

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

wedgekree posted:

It also means we have to take all the cows along with us though.

i'm gonna pretend this is King of Dragon Pass and that this means we're rich now

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Invite both

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

sebmojo posted:

What were some other outcomes for that encounter?

Well, no one ended up shot, so things went pretty well (though if people wound up dead their stuff would be right there for the taking...). There's ways to get more influence depending on how you treat people and you can piss people off more by coming down harder/stupider in your decision. There's a free skill boost, plus the option to actually get paid without anyone raising any complaints if you have the right skills at legalese and the like. We got one of the most civilized possible ways to resolve things, and thus got two new friends out of it.

quote:

Invite both men to ride with me.

"I'd be glad to," Carson nods over, "mind you, Preston Springs ain't the most pleasant of places."

"Its a boom-town like any other," Schmidt puts in, "you just gotta keep your wits about you. If'n the saloons are too much for you, Ben Carson, I'll show you the church."

"Its got one of those?" Carson asks.

"Gotta be the quietest place to sleep off the whiskey."

Schmidt retrieves his broad chested steed from where he'd let it graze. By the time he's returned, Carson and yourself have rounded up the little herd of cattle. From there the three of you set off across the land.

quote:

Along the way Schmidt describes fishing in streams bare-handed, points out edible plants, and generally ruminates on his travels through these parts, "They call it the Humboldt mountains but I remember when only the Washoe and Shoshone cared to give it a name. Bear, wolf, and cougars…they're thick as the elk through here but them with sharp teeth won't bother you unless they smell something tasty. That's why, when you camp, rope and lift your food high up into a tree. Only a young bear will even try and they make a racket when they do."

"They won't come after your horse unless they're real hungry," Carson notes. "But even so you'll want to keep that rare Grulla on a long lead so he can rear back if need be."

"There is that," Schmidt admits as he considers the ridge ahead. "Say, can the herd make it up there?"

"Riding in the mountains can be a thing all its own," Carson relates and with a gently whisk of the reins he leads the way toward the annoying ridge. "Up is easier for a horse. They'll leap and lunge all the way to the top if you want. Down though, that gets tricky; get off balance and you'll both spill bad. Best thing to do, other than making certain you have your saddle set just so, is to let the horse have its head. He knows what he's doing, don't try and force him onto a path you think is better."

"Don't I know it. I tried that once and got thrown right into a cactus. That drat near killed me."

"All those needles…I shudder just to think of it," Carson notes as he offers over a wry glance, "but were you feeling 'holey' afterward?"

"A man who puns would punch a bear," Schmidt warns lightly as he tries not to crack a smile.

Both men share a chuckle.

(Riding and Survival greatly increased) (+8 Riding, +8 Survival)

Come one morning you see civilization in the distance; a cluster of sharp edges where everything had been curved and round. Two dozen low buildings huddle amidst a broad valley between mountains; Preston Springs at last.

End of chapter one

Traveling buddies make for good instructors. And with that we've made it through the first chapter! Not all chapters are the same size and there are several interlude chapters plus chapters that are big owing to the amount of branching content, but we've made it through the first part of the game. Still have ways to go though.

quote:

Would you like to save your ending to Chapter 1?

Continue to Chapter two.
Save Marshal Shen's ending to chapter one.

Other fun feature: Save points. You can save your game and reload from that point later on. You only get one save point even across multiple character runs, but I'll be using it to save myself the hassle of replaying the whole thing if needed.

quote:

Save Marshal Shen's ending to chapter one.

Game Save successful.

Next Chapter

quote:

For a boom town, Preston Springs has got an awful lot of pane glass and painted signs. No less than three saloons, an inn, general store, blacksmith, and plenty more can be seen. If the railroad comes through here, this little burg is gonna be big.

"There it is," Carson comments as he peers out at the little sprawl of a town. "A hive of angry wasps, ready and waiting to be stirred up by drink and dancing."

"What's wrong with either?" Schmidt asks.

"You can dance with your wife and you can drink watered down beer or wine, but to indulge oneself in such excess is counter to the intent of the Almighty," Carson explains.

"Nah. Beer's proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy," Schmidt answers back. "That's Ben Franklin being funny."

Carson gives an honest chuckle, "That is hilarious." (+2 Carson, +5 Schmidt)

Preston Springs is a dusty little burg with two dozen stout timber buildings scattered along the main street. A handful of other frames wait to be filled out at one end while wagons and stage-coaches rest in the shade of broad alleyways.

Four fronts in particular loom above the others. Red bunting of a nearby saloon frames the words 'The Mother-Lode' while a bit of silver paint just down the way gleams bright in the sun of another called the 'Evening Star'. A pair of gold painted lanterns adorn the luxurious exterior of another saloon whose sign reads 'Babylon'. Amidst those three saloons resides the crisp curtained windows of a hotel that could belong in San Francisco or even Chicago; the sign above the entrance, meticulously painted in elegant sweeps of cursive script, reads 'Grand Haven Hotel'.

A general store, smithy, stables, and a gold exchange round things out. Plenty of other wood board buildings don't have signs at all and look a lot more like residences.

There are not a lot of people on the streets during the mid-day heat but a rough shirted prospector staggers across with a bucket of beer balanced precariously in hand and a ladle in the other. An empty pouch looped round his neck. His hat is pleasantly askew above a sharp widow's peak as the former shades his sun-creased features. Without being prompted, he mumbles a little loudly about how his drunken feet are trying to do him in.

1. Approach the drunk prospector and ask around about the town.
2. Ask Schmidt about the town.
3. Ask Carson about the town.
4. Try and find my Marshal's Office.
5. Wander into the nearby saloon, the Mother-Lode.

Welcome to our new home. What do we do first?

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Ben Carson, cowboy.
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Broke.

Values:
Order: 53% Freedom: 47%
Honor: 56% Arbitrary: 44%
Law: 53% Individuality: 47%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 40%
Sharpshooting: 32%
Brawling: 34%
Riding: 33%
Survival: 32%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 10%
Explosives: 17%
Persuasion: 30%
Intimidate: 34%
Stamina: 26%
Resolve: 37%

Influence
Influence Carson: 62%
Influence Schmidt: 65%
Influence Marshal James: 55%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let’s ask Schmidt what he knows.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

2. Ask Schmitd

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

Welcome to our new home. What do we do first?

Just to keep things moving:

Vote:

1) Ask Schmidt about the town.
2) Ask Carson about the town.
3) Approach the drunk prospector and ask around about the town.
4) Try and find my Marshal's Office.
5) Wander into the nearby saloon, the Mother-Lode.

The Mother-Lode choice feels like a cut-scene / plot progression, so, let's save it for last.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CourValant posted:

Vote:

The Mother-Lode choice feels like a cut-scene / plot progression, so, let's save it for last.

Voting this. Seems reasonable

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Dong Quixote posted:

Voting this. Seems reasonable

Agreed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CourValant posted:

Vote:

Slor The Destroyer
Aug 4, 2012
Schmidt might have been through here once or twice, but I bet the drunk prospector knows what is happening right now.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We want to see what Schmidt has to say. As it turns out, it's a lot, so I'll just roll through the dialogue choices for peak infodump.

quote:

Ask Schmidt about the town

"You got it, friend," Schmidt says and nods eagerly. "What'd you want to know about it?"

"Tell me about this saloon here, the Mother-Lode."

"Great place. Mother Maddy lets anyone in so long as they mind their temper and got a little coin to spend. Drinks, dancing, gambling, the three things a prospector wants when he's relaxin," Schmidt explains. "Mind you, some unsavory types drift in on occasion, and there's been more'n a few fights, but what kind of a saloon would it be without them?"

"What's that place called the Evening Star?"

"Ah, them stuck up gally-wallers," Schmidt waves away the very idea. "Mister Ellis wants you to dress tidy just to walk in the door. drat hard to do when you're living out of a saddle roll or don't got no Sunday best on account of a pair of thieving raccoons. Did I ever tell you about them bastards?"

Carson shakes his head slow, "No, but maybe another time."

"Yeah, we'd need suds first," Schmidt agrees.

A glance down finds the reminder that Schmidt is indeed a mountain man. Thrice patched pants lie below a rough knitted shirt a size too large for even him with plenty of old stains from blood to grease and more.

"Now, they do got lots of cards and games and such in the Evening Star. Wine too, but who needs wine when you've got beer?" Schmidt asks rhetorically.

"Is that saloon down yonder really called the Babylon?"

"It certainly is, Missy. They put it last but its the best. I mean, the Lode was here before anything, the Star went up next, but the Babylon is a bit of finery; maybe too much for a town like Preston Springs," Schmidt suggests.

"Is that stained glass?" Carson asks.

Schmidt nods toward the stained glass of the Babylon, "They brought that in by stage-coach, packed up in three sheeps worth of wool. Its almost like a church in there. A church with a piano."

"Well, actually there's quite a few churches that have those," Carson notes.

"Are there? Well, that'd make for a better mass to be sure."

"I see only one hotel, the Grand Haven, what's it like?"

"Oh, its a great," Schmidt says. "I stayed in there early on. Fresh sheets, warm blankets and these pillows you can really sink into. Getting a room means you get to take a full bath and there's fine vittles for breakfast, not just biscuits and coffee."

"Know where I can find the Marshal's Office?"

"Down the way," Schmidt motions off down the street. "Question is, how much is still left standing? See, people were prying boards off last time I left."

quote:

(Another dialogue choice not worth voting on)

Missing boards?
"People take what they need round here if'n it don't belong to no one."

Is lumber hard to find out here?
"No, but its expensive," Schmidt shrugs. "And some people don't like paying when things could be free."

"Is there a bank around these parts?"

"Nope," Schmidt replies readily. "There's one over in Salt Lake, but no one's saving round these parts."

"Where's the sheriff around here?"

Schmidt gives a little cough, "To be honest, there ain't one. Not a real one anyway."

quote:

(Both of these wind up with basically the same answer, barring a word change or two)
That's awfully cryptic."
"Can you tell me more?"

"Sure could. Old Bobby got shot the week he got the badge. Then Old Pete took over and, ah, he was slow on the draw too. Then they got desperate and tried to put me up for it."

You stare over a long moment along with Carson; neither of you can believe your ears.

"I declined," Schmidt notes soberly.

"Smart," Carson puts in readily and his friend doesn't disagree.

"Sounds wonderful, let's move on."

"What do you do for fun?"

"What don't we do?" Schmidt asks with a fond grin. "Drinking, dancing, cavorting with soiled doves and gambling. I love the wheel. Every spin could roll me in riches."

"Who calls the shots around here?"

"That'd be JT Preston. Man owns a little bit of everything except the slaughter-house and the Oriental, but he's been fixing to grab both those," Schmidt explains. "At least, Jeff Donner said that were how it is and I don't doubt him none."

"Is there a church about?"

"Yep. An old Spanish Mission out yonder," Schmidt points out beyond the town. "You can just see a bit of it there, the white stone. Not in town exactly, but I've managed the walk when drunk more'n a few times. Quiet place, good friars."

"I'd like to see it eventually," Carson says softly.

"And I'll take you out there one of these evenings and make the introductions to what passes for a padre," Schmidt replies readily to his friend.

"That's enough for now, thanks."

Schmidt shrugs and absently pats his little pouch of gold, "I suggest a drink, or two."

"I'd suggest business before pleasure," Carson puts in.

"You would," Schmidt replies with a bit of a grin.

(+5 Schmidt for talking to him)

Try and find my Marshal's Office.
Ask Carson about the town.
Head toward the nearby saloon; the Mother-Lode.

The drunk seems to have wandered off, but we can still see what Carson has to say.

quote:

Ask Carson about the town.

Carson gives a little shrug, "Schmidt told it better than I. More of it too."

(+2 Carson, because at least we tried)

Enough votes to keep on going to the Marshal's office before the saloon, so let's go.

quote:

Try and find my Marshal's Office.

Just a ways down the main street, tucked in beside the gleaming glass of the Babylon saloon, lies a little one story shack. Half the front is missing, and most of the roof has vanished as well. But on a post out front are the faded words 'U.S. Marshal' and the outline of silver star; your office.

The inside is strewn with broken glass, torn cloth and an errant tumbleweed that has taken root in the single cell to the rear. There should be doors but those have long since walked off. No doubt about it; the past few Marshals haven't fared too well at all.

-Clean up the glass.
-Get that tumbleweed out of there first.
-Take measurements for planks and roofing.
-Ask Schmidt to head over to the Babylon for a broom.

Most of these options are just busywork that leads to the next section, so I'll pick the one that offers something resembling a choice.

quote:

Ask Schmidt to head over to the Babylon for a broom.

Gonna need an awfully big broom," Schmidt considers and lets the idea trail off.

"It'll take some work," Carson admits as he settles his rifle into a dusty old rack. "But, some sweeping, maybe a little paint, and you'll be on your way."

You and Schmidt can't help but stare at the Cowboy.

"What?" Carson wonders. "It works for my wife. You should see what she did with the chicken coop."

1. "Yeah, I'll have to see that some time."
2. "Let's stick to the matter at hand."
3. Start cleaning up the office.

Either way, it leads to the next part.

quote:

The office is just starting to get tidied when a sudden skittering rises up from beneath a pile of discarded tins. Something small, furry, and brown darts out across the floor and takes refuge beneath your chipped wood desk. A moment later, the whiskers and pink nose of a mouse peeks out from about the leg.

A mouse, in your house.

1. Shoo the mouse out the door.
2. Shoot it.
3. Watch the mouse for a while.
4. Capture the critter then dump it at the edge of town.
5. Just let it be for a while.

Most of these are mid-choices that lead to the actual main decision on how to deal with the mouse, so we can vote on that decision as well.

1. Ignore it.
2. Shoot it.
3. Adopt it.
4. Get a cat.

You're voting for two to three things here: How to respond to Carson, How to first interact with the mouse, and What to do with the mouse (if you vote "Shoot it" you don't need to write it down twice).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1, 5, 4

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Agreed.

We need a jail house cat.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

4. Capture the critter then dump it at the edge of town.
4. Get a cat.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sounds sensible.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

This.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

1, 5, 1

this mouse will go by the name of Mr. Jingles. should've picked the religious background to bring him back from the dead or something

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

3. Watch the mouse for a while.

4. Get a cat.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like we're going to respond positively to Carson...

quote:

"Yeah, I'll have to see that some time."

"Absolutely," Carson promises as he sets a shoulder to the work. (+5 Carson)

...Then leave the mouse to its own devices...

quote:

Just let it be for a while.

You get on with the cleaning up. All the while the mouse cleans its whiskers and watches you with its inquisitive eyes.

Just ignore it for now.
Adopt the little fella as a pet.

Time to find a stray cat.

...and get ourselves a cat.

quote:

Time to find a stray cat.

It doesn't take much to find a scrawny little cat out in the alleyways. Luring it back to the office proves easy enough using only a little bit of bacon.

1. This cat is a big old Tomcat.
2. A sleek gray pouncer.
3. An orange fluff cat.
4. A striped scrounger.

What kind of cat shall it be? And what is its name?

Our companions of course will have their own suggestions.

1. Carson suggests you just call it Cat (because it won't come if you call it and "anything more is a waste")
2. Schmidt suggests calling it Tom (if a Tomcat), Miss Boots (if a pouncer), Mo (if a fluff cat) or Patches (if a striped scrounger)
3. We can always come up with our own choice of name.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How can I vote anything but Fluff Cat?

VVVV
edit: This is clever and voting this for the name too

CourValant posted:

Vote: 2. An orange fluff cat named Maow (phonetic in Cantonese for cat).

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 14, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

What kind of cat shall it be? And what is its name?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Clearly, the best choice is a orange fluff cat named Mo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CourValant posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

CourValant posted:

Let’s get this cat a comfortable seat and give it an appropriate title. Chairman Maow. :D

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 15, 2018