Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ugh the oil on the door with the bodyguard sitting right there was a facepalm. You could at least move him geez. I hate when games force you to make blatantly dumb decisions like this.

Edit: Just saw the last episode. I actually really like it. A life raft is indeed something you'd find from a regular passenger plane, and the way it goes down is just the right combination of ridiculous and awesome.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
At least the bodyguard's condition isn't our fault.

Edit: Also I'd be really annoyed if no one goes to at least take the guns with them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Even with you putting that in the title, that was really really fast with that. However, it STILL annoys me that she never takes a gun, if she's going to resort to that, don't leave behind crap like that.

Kato, did you already forget that you JUST did something similar to this? It's not like the life raft you threw at the helicopter was any better than that. Journalism is definitely a cutthroat field apparently.

Though given how utterly deaf the soldiers are apparently, maybe they could've snuck by anyways. A plane wing crashing down and an explosion aren't exactly quiet things.....

Other than that above though, honestly I do say that this is probably one of the more logical adventure games I've seen. Everything is straightforward, the one problem I can see throwing people off is the abrupt thing to just directly eliminating problems like that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Eh kill tally sounds amusing. Though given that the 2nd oxygen tank can be performed by anyone, should we just tally that to Julie since she's the one that did it?

Edit: Decided to just count by how the LP assigns them.

Bodyguard: 1 (figured why not)
Katoh: 3 (including the helicopter as 1)
Julie: 7 (the cutscene only shows 3 as confirmed kills in the avalanche)

So far it's a race between the journalists, with Julie in a strong lead!

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 31, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Julia still has 4 which are hers and no one can take them from her. Whereas Kato has 2 locked (though counting the helicopter as only 1 doesn't feel right, it's only confirmed at 1) since no one else can climb.

As for the avalanche kills, the animation has the oxygen tank being thrown from off-screen, and then Kato saying 'take cover'. So I'm pretty sure the game would let anyone do those kills since there's no difference in animations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
God this one was hard to watch. It's nice that they put another puzzle reliant on people being placed in different places, but the run speed and the glacial interface kind of wears on me.

2 more for Julia for 9.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
3 for Lopez.

Honestly, it sort of makes sense to me that this game is short yet has to be on two discs. It's a PS1 game after all with voice-acting and a lot of cutscenes so it takes up a bunch of space. And narratively speaking, the story can't be that long considering the relatively simple goal and time limit in place.

It was kind of nice to finally see Lopez doing things, and for Kato to be the non-essential member for once. Gives a bit of variance. This area honestly seems reasonably designed to me, I just find the point-and-click with a controller thing to be the real problem. The jerkiness of the pointer makes this just look really awkward to control in general.

As for the story beats... it's kind of there? On the surface it's kind of reasonable overall, but the writing isn't good enough to make the arguments interesting to listen to unfortunately.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Logically speaking I don't think there's a traitor. The only overt thing is the government knowing where they're meeting up. Any number of things could account for that including the captive radio man who was in the SAME ROOM AS THEM when they were declaring their plans.

Granted, they already did dumb things in regards with proximity (bodyguard and lighting oil on the door....)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well they get to be honest because it was a Japanese developer that made it.

The way Kato crosses that ice wall makes no sense to me. For the pickaxe thing, isn't that normally vertical so you're also getting to use your handholds as footholds....? If he needs the axe in the first place to cross, there's no way his foot should be able to make it's own holds.

I do like the content of this update though, it actually feels like they were coherently making use of the multiple people thing.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Spoiler tag since I'm the one right after the post.

Well, Lopez was the most logical choice for that twist at least. Everyone else was basically confirmed to be on the plane but him, and he had the best opportunity to leak the location of their first evacuation helicopter. I'm not sure where Lopez was telling Julia to fly them, but if it's a spot of a 3rd party, it makes sense for him to help everyone avoid the government soldiers too.

May as well update the kill counter.

Bodyguard: 1
Katoh: 6
Julia: 11
Lopez: 4
Steve: 2 confirmed, I think the rest just ran away.

It's kind of showing how they keep repeating puzzles, since Julia keeps using her knife a LOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I sort of feel the game was at it's best in the Part 6 video. A good balance of puzzles, no repeating, they sensibly change the environment on you to spice things up, and it doesn't have the insane wrestling with the camera like the bit before entering the mines.

• Locked thread