Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Suspicious posted:

taking screenshots is not a core os functionality. it should be (and is!) handled by third party applications

there's plenty of good reasons to hate on windows, "it doesn't do screenshots like macs" is not one of them

windows third party screenshot applications are also trash and the improvements coming in mojave widen that gap considerably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

can ya paste it directly into imgur

yeah that's a screenshot of me pasting it into imgur

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious posted:

taking screenshots is not a core os functionality. it should be (and is!) handled by third party applications

i partially agree. on linux, this makes sense: the kernel should not be concerned with screenshots, it should be the responsibility of the window manager/primary graphical interface.

but when you say "windows" you're referring to both the core operating system and the windows GUI. i think it's a security concern: i don't really want a random screenshotting program to be able to see whatever is visible in my display whenever it's running.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 21, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

yeah that's a screenshot of me pasting it into imgur

holy gently caress shaggar you can’t just do weird poo poo like that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wanting the screenshot tool to save stuff to disk automatically is like a 2% edge case. probably 80% of the time I want to paste it into something and never use it again and the remaining 18% I want to edit it before copying it and pasting it into something and never use it again.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I really like using the native snip tool because I literally never need a full screencap.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Snipping tool is very good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
lol if theres anything windows does correctly its screencaps

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Wow looks like I’ve triggered you all, which means I’m super correct. The most correct.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Captain Foo posted:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

snip snip it's good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shaggar posted:

smtp and ldap aren't anywhere near as bad as snmp

is there any good snmp tools please help me my network is dying

pram
Jun 10, 2001
snmp is really hosed. who the hell thought poo poo like this is a good idea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i remember in elementary school i once wondered what the print screen key did on the computer and when i pressed it it sent what was on my screen to the printer lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

OIDs are insane

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you look at integrating something like datadog with your hardware, which is usually all from scratch, you'll want to start looking for another job

code:
     metrics:
       - MIB: UDP-MIB
         symbol: udpInDatagrams
       - OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.6.5
         name: tcpPassiveOpens
       - MIB: IF-MIB
         table: ifTable
         symbols:
           - ifInOctets
           - ifOutOctets
         metric_tags:
           - tag: interface
             column: ifDescr
imagine doing that for dozens/hundreds of oids

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

windows third party screenshot applications are also trash and the improvements coming in mojave widen that gap considerably

i always lold a bit when old timers would wrangle some lovely screenshot util at work and the mac one was just the default os

the windows one was some clunky rear end poo poo we had approved years ago and never updated, required mouse clicks to launch, and took a few seconds to save the capture before being able to paste

President Beep posted:

I really like using the native snip tool because I literally never need a full screencap.

when we switched to 7 this was the best thing because its good and bundled but it didnt stop the use of the garbage util we had for years

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i always lold a bit when old timers would wrangle some lovely screenshot util at work and the mac one was just the default os

the windows one was some clunky rear end poo poo we had approved years ago and never updated, required mouse clicks to launch, and took a few seconds to save the capture before being able to paste

when we switched to 7 this was the best thing because its good and bundled but it didnt stop the use of the garbage util we had for years

my garbage job still uses a garbage print screen utility on windows

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
screen snapping on macos is better except who can ever remember the commands so I have to google each time lmao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

screen snapping on macos is better except who can ever remember the commands so I have to google each time lmao

its only through sheer force of will that i did, but the same old timer that wrangled the awful tools we had remapped his mac to a simple combo and was snapping like mad making defect documentation

meanwhile i am admittedly using the same awful combo because im an adobe user and have stockholm syndrome for key combos

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'no i like' *squints at keyboard* 'save for web in photoshop'

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

if you look at integrating something like datadog with your hardware, which is usually all from scratch, you'll want to start looking for another job

code:
     metrics:
       - MIB: UDP-MIB
         symbol: udpInDatagrams
       - OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.6.5
         name: tcpPassiveOpens
       - MIB: IF-MIB
         table: ifTable
         symbols:
           - ifInOctets
           - ifOutOctets
         metric_tags:
           - tag: interface
             column: ifDescr
imagine doing that for dozens/hundreds of oids

prometheus has a nice smp generator tool but it's still annoying af to load up MIBs in whatever shareware bullshit I have installed from last time I tried to filter the right things out properly

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I set someone up with Greenshot because it was listed in Ninite and I guess it was ok.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I mean you can read the MIB and maybe figure out which OID does what. but you still have tables to deal with and changing indices to chase down.

It is like a Dewey decimal system for millions of data points

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

bettersnaptool is good on macOS

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
snipping tool is missing 1 feature: the ability to just snapshot a window like on mac. yes, let's depend on my ability to get the dragged window right every time or then cut out the background in paint or whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

snipping tool is missing 1 feature: the ability to just snapshot a window like on mac. yes, let's depend on my ability to get the dragged window right every time or then cut out the background in paint or whatever.

but then why wouldnt you just alt prtscrn?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:eyepop:

holy poo poo. i never even noticed those options.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows bad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ah, but windows good!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

windows bad

:shuckyes:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

pram posted:

computers bad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

windows bad

wrong, bithc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thebigcow posted:

I set someone up with Greenshot because it was listed in Ninite and I guess it was ok.

green shot is fine

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
lol if yo don't have two homepods in every room

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

command shift 4

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

OIDs are actually very good and are used for way more than just SNMP.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger !!! :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah they're used somewhere in the MS Active Directory schema structure, which seems good and cool and logical

• Locked thread