Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zlodo posted:

yeah if you're unlucky it might return windows related results

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

searching exact messages is bad most of the time because the error is probably going to have some code specific chunk it in that will break an exact match

the real skill is in being able to rapidly skim 15 identical looking stack overflow posts to find the one that tells you "oh yeah I forgot to do X like a dumbass"

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Recognizing and removing the codebase-specific part is not hard though.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

searching exact messages is bad most of the time because the error is probably going to have some code specific chunk it in that will break an exact match

the real skill is in being able to rapidly skim 15 identical looking stack overflow posts to find the one that tells you "oh yeah I forgot to do X like a dumbass"

the key is to find the stack overflow question where they hosed up something you got right, but got right the part you hosed up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

senior is not when you do that fast, but when your google queries return no hits

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Senior is when google turns up one result — someone who had your exact problem down to the exact error message — 3 years ago. Zero responses.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Gaukler posted:

Senior is when google turns up one result — someone who had your exact problem down to the exact error message — 3 years ago. Zero responses.

with an edit that just says "nm figured it out"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Carthag Tuek posted:

fuckin floating point numbers man
I was checking my account on Comcast's website, and it said my monthly fee was something like $155.00000002.

Looks like *someone* is using floats internally.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Presto posted:

I was checking my account on Comcast's website, and it said my monthly fee was something like $155.00000002.

Looks like *someone* is using floats internally.

good grief lol

tbf it could be like bigint("155.0") in their backend that gets displayed all hosed in the frontend because json only has one number type

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

thread closed: please just read this blog entry which has all the info you need

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

tolko zhaesh, poshli ikh na X
ne umru ya, moi drug, nikogda!

our application has a single float field because some idiot thought you'd need fractional millisecond TCP connection timeouts way back when

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jesus WEP posted:

you motherfucker

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

gently caress you, i spent a few hours today trying to find an archived copy of a mailing list conversation from 14 years ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

Answer above that is "just use this library" and answer below is some extremely complicated implementation of a simple thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Gaukler posted:

one time I was trying to find out "how to do X in library Y" and the top result was my own 3 year old answer to a somewhat related question on SO

i didn't really understand the answer but it did mention that "there is no way to do X in library Y" so I just moved on with my life