Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

should i name my new library achilles or dionysus

diogenes. always diogenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

diabetes

mystes
May 31, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Achilles and make sure it has a some sort of fundamental design flaw that you refuse to fix

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MrMoo posted:

There's a Vogue photoshoot at NYSE or something, and the premise is utterly :rolleyes:

My tech for several days in a row has been recording screen caps of hours of live output, sending off to some random company that has been distorting the content, then previewing on the floor for the big event.

There is a big catastrophe and only models survived, ...

just starting if anyone remotely cares:

https://www.balenciaga.com/en-us

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

Jitter started
Any idea what?

Boomers are awesome.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Dionysus, and only write it at the ballmer peak

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Name it Hades

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

As in Hades nuts ain't suckin themselves

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Cassandra because you know it's gonna be bad and you can't do anything about it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Taken and it met the expected fate for an apache foundation project

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
sisyphus because it will inevitably get stuck in an infinite loop

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

mystes posted:

Taken and it met the expected fate for an apache foundation project

i assume given the way c* worms its way into organizations that :thejoke:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

DaTroof posted:

sisyphus because it will inevitably get stuck in an infinite loop

No no no, name it syphilis and add it to the dependencies but don't tell anybody

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that prolly was why the actual cassandra db was named that, wasnt it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

diogenes. always diogenes.

gonna name the protocol classifier in my router OS diogenes

behold! a packet!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am currently embarked on a project to identify how hard it would be to port an old abandoned Python 2 project to Python 3. It has something resembling a test suite.

README posted:

This directory contains a gzipped PostScript file, master.ps.gz,
obtained by printing to a file a part of the SlashDot.org website
from the Galeon web browser on July 2nd 2004.

Oh dear.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:psyduck:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Antigravitas posted:

I am currently embarked on a project to identify how hard it would be to port an old abandoned Python 2 project to Python 3. It has something resembling a test suite.

Oh dear.

Does it say anything to the effect of "why"?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

champagne posting posted:

Does it say anything to the effect of "why"?
"Why not? :smug:"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The why is fine. It's a library for calculating pages and ink coverage of print jobs, so using a well-known print file as its reference it can test the implementations of a myriad of horrid printer languages.

But because it's printer languages, everything else is extremely not fine. The fact that some of them are turing complete is the least of its problems.

I am going to jettison almost everything in this project, but I drew the shortest straw in the universe that led me to this hell…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

code:
"""This modules implements a page counter for Structured Fax documents."""
mscrap.py
Python code:
"""This module implements a page counter for Microsoft Word (r) (tm) (c) (etc...) documents"""

class Parser(pdlparser.PDLParser) :
    """A parser for that MS crap thing."""
    format = "Microsoft lovely"
I can relate, lmao. Only file with swearing in it.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 24, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lmao at the lone comment

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"The BBC are reporting that despite 'the very best deal possible,' a failure to agree terms between the BBC and the estate of late sci-fi writer Terry Nation has meant that we will not being seeing TV's most evil villains in the new series, starring Christopher Eccleston and Billy Piper."

concerning news

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

josh04 posted:

"The BBC are reporting that despite 'the very best deal possible,' a failure to agree terms between the BBC and the estate of late sci-fi writer Terry Nation has meant that we will not being seeing TV's most evil villains in the new series, starring Christopher Eccleston and Billy Piper."

concerning news

You _are_ talking about terrible programming, so I'm not sure if you're posting in the thread you thought you were.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

The why is fine. It's a library for calculating pages and ink coverage of print jobs, so using a well-known print file as its reference it can test the implementations of a myriad of horrid printer languages.

But because it's printer languages, everything else is extremely not fine. The fact that some of them are turing complete is the least of its problems.

I am going to jettison almost everything in this project, but I drew the shortest straw in the universe that led me to this hell…

I didn't expect the zipfile to be redeemed in the second act drat

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

lmao at the lone comment

I mean, where's the lie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goddamn segfault with no stacktrace :(((

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Carthag Tuek posted:

goddamn segfault with no stacktrace :(((

segfault but no one to segblame

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it's nobodies segfault but your own

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
segma balls

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
well im sure core dumps were properly configured, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

it's nobodies segfault but your own

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

god these vendor docs loving suck and their engineering team are walled behind 3 layers of people so everything is routed back through emails so a question of 'ok so how are you integrating with Docusign? Which of the Auth methods is it? Why do you want to be able to provision users instead of impersonating' gets an answer 2 days later of 'we use Oauth 1.0' which is deprecated by Docusign...

also docusign (whose docs are pretty bad but at least detailed) have 4 different OAuth methods and integration types and the use case you describe isn't one of them

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
trying to shore up our oss license compliance from nothing and dear god how the gently caress does anyone do this in a modern software ecosystem

even with an automated tool to assist it's a crapshoot cause golang's module dependency introspection is so inscrutable. why the gently caress is there a "go mod why <fartlib>" command that just repeatedly tells you "actually, this library is unnecessary!" despite something in the toolchain clearly having a reason to shove poo poo into go.mod as indirect

wasted a couple hours trying to figure out how we'd apparently included a gpl3 lib. as best i can tell someone used "go get" to install a tool for cli use while in their project directory, which of course added it to the project go.mod, and pushed because their repo has no linter test to see if you've run tidy or not. this library wormed itself into the infinity vendored thing clusterfuck in docker/docker and then into our go.mod because our test suite uses docker golang calls to run poo poo. i still can't find a tool to confirm that there's definitely no other reason for an indirect dep, and while it seems unlikely it's a bit iffy since go mod graph will still look at the automatically added mod entry and say "actually, your app includes this module directly!"

i dont feel too bad though, between some of the no-license deps are there because libs authored by google (who i'd sorta expect to have the resources to do compliance right) and because the immediate goal of providing a licenses.txt that meets MPL requirements for the stuff we do use is still met--ain't no rule that says you can't also just include a bunch of other random poo poo that isn't actually linked in the end product!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

trying to shore up our oss license compliance from nothing and dear god how the gently caress does anyone do this in a modern software ecosystem

even with an automated tool to assist it's a crapshoot cause golang's module dependency introspection is so inscrutable. why the gently caress is there a "go mod why <fartlib>" command that just repeatedly tells you "actually, this library is unnecessary!" despite something in the toolchain clearly having a reason to shove poo poo into go.mod as indirect

wasted a couple hours trying to figure out how we'd apparently included a gpl3 lib. as best i can tell someone used "go get" to install a tool for cli use while in their project directory, which of course added it to the project go.mod, and pushed because their repo has no linter test to see if you've run tidy or not. this library wormed itself into the infinity vendored thing clusterfuck in docker/docker and then into our go.mod because our test suite uses docker golang calls to run poo poo. i still can't find a tool to confirm that there's definitely no other reason for an indirect dep, and while it seems unlikely it's a bit iffy since go mod graph will still look at the automatically added mod entry and say "actually, your app includes this module directly!"

i dont feel too bad though, between some of the no-license deps are there because libs authored by google (who i'd sorta expect to have the resources to do compliance right) and because the immediate goal of providing a licenses.txt that meets MPL requirements for the stuff we do use is still met--ain't no rule that says you can't also just include a bunch of other random poo poo that isn't actually linked in the end product!

Have you confirmed your beliefs with your legal team?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no luck with git blame go.mod ?

also pro tip. just remove it and see if stuff breaks

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

go.mod and go.sum are just placebos, nothing you do in there actually affects anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
go get

a job working in a less lovely ecosystem