Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dijkstracula posted:

yes and all the components can be of different types (except for another quaterinon)

ah so we can alternately nest list, quaternion, list, quaternion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

cinci zoo sniper posted:

… did it have quaternion data type

it has to because it works by dragging solid object vertices around and you can script motion and stuff

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Dijkstracula posted:

yes and all the components can be of different types (except for another quaterinon)

i fully believed you until i went back and checked the wiki lol

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

abraham linksys posted:

i fully believed you until i went back and checked the wiki lol

:devil:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

abraham linksys posted:

i have a friend who still plays second life in 2022 (apparently it's like the metaverse but with less brands but somehow more capitalism) and it has its own scripting language called LSL and you can probably guess how a scripting language second life added in 2004 went. via https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:LSL_List#Comparing_Lists:

this would be a good reason to have a transpiler

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dijkstracula posted:

really not enjoying getting this right away

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh my god somewhere there is a ticket with our useless tooling team to provide a copy of the Poor Man's SQL Formatter after they took away our ability to install whatever we liked on our machines (those were the days!)

thing is I swear that old versions of SSMS had a built in Formatter

it drives me loving insane that the sql server data tools team will do nothing at all to improve sql server data tools. SSMS is still on like vs 2012 or something and is still mostly 32bit and most of the stuff cant handle theming. plugin support is rear end. They have no plans to ever add any kind of version control to sql server like they should. its just poo poo.

And their excuse is we should use sql projects in VS (also part of SSDT) and that poo poo sucks so much loving rear end and will completely choke on anything more than a dozen objects in your schema.

but even w/ poor mans sql formatter it cant format things the way i like which is

SQL code:
SELECT
	a.Column
	,b.Column
	,CASE
		WHEN c.Column = 'whatever' THEN 1
		ELSE 0
	END as Whatever
FROM
	Schema.TableName a
	INNER JOIN Schema.TableName b
		ON b.Column = a.Column
	INNER JOIN Schema.TableName c
		ON c.Column = b.Column

tabs are too long on SA, but trust me it looks good in SSMS. IMO it provides clear separation of query parts

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
it's because they prefer to put their limited resources into adding useless features that no one cares about into sql server itself. graph storage and processing? embedding python and the jvm? s3 storage? no one gives a poo poo except for some marketing dweeb

the most shocking thing about sql server 2022 is that they actually invested in both the language and the query processor

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
a million years ago, some of the real sql server greybeards compiled a list of a bunch of bugs with the merge statement. i would bet money that most of them are still outstanding, like a decade later

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shaggar posted:

it drives me loving insane that the sql server data tools team will do nothing at all to improve sql server data tools.

Try dbeaver. Not as good as ssms for script debugging and database maintenance, but wayyyy better for data querying, editing, and ETL. I use both but dbeaver is the one I go for 95% of the time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

it drives me loving insane that the sql server data tools team will do nothing at all to improve sql server data tools. SSMS is still on like vs 2012 or something and is still mostly 32bit and most of the stuff cant handle theming. plugin support is rear end. They have no plans to ever add any kind of version control to sql server like they should. its just poo poo.

And their excuse is we should use sql projects in VS (also part of SSDT) and that poo poo sucks so much loving rear end and will completely choke on anything more than a dozen objects in your schema.

but even w/ poor mans sql formatter it cant format things the way i like which is

SQL code:
SELECT
	a.Column
	,b.Column
	,CASE
		WHEN c.Column = 'whatever' THEN 1
		ELSE 0
	END as Whatever
FROM
	Schema.TableName a
	INNER JOIN Schema.TableName b
		ON b.Column = a.Column
	INNER JOIN Schema.TableName c
		ON c.Column = b.Column

tabs are too long on SA, but trust me it looks good in SSMS. IMO it provides clear separation of query parts

this is my SQL style as well :hfive:

I swear some people think that a high vertical query size is somehow bad and seem committed to massive run on horizontal statements

also completely agree on vs sql projects being poo poo. Last time I tried one it was so slow to do anything I just gave up, though that was probably vs 2016

e: I would newline and indent the where and else conditionals though

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/riscv-vscript

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tef!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

According to Luke from Floatplane, OpenAI just releases their GPT3 beta, and it’s impressive. Ask anything in text form, being aware the training set is 2 years old.

Writing stories about anything, writing short programs, finding and fixing security bugs, recipes, mending things, etc.

https://chat.openai.com/

Sign up and go back to this chat URL for thread mode, in this mode you can ask more questions and refine the answers until you “reset thread” via the menu.

Also, it has content filters but they are apparently easy to bypass.

If you find something it doesn’t know you can train it in a thread and it can then answer.

quote:

Write a program to render “420” with THREE.js

quote:

Have the scene slowly rotate on the z-axis

Also, it apparently does rather well at Advent of Code.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 4, 2022

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The d3p1 record was 10s thanks to it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the science has gone too far

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
there's clearly room for improvement if that's the worst this model can do

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the science has gone too far

that is not even close to the worst lmao

e: I'm 100% gonna try this for solving stupid problems

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

there's clearly room for improvement if that's the worst this model can do

that is not even close to the worst lmao

e: I'm 100% gonna try this for solving stupid problems

i really tried to get it to self-reference a cross join product or some other cursed poo poo, but it either does gorillion parentheses or writes giant WHERE clauses using only OR. rarer it'll do stuff like WHERE 'John Doe' = name, but overall i think it simply doesn't have that much SQL to draw inspiration from

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i really tried to get it to self-reference a cross join product or some other cursed poo poo, but it either does gorillion parentheses or writes giant WHERE clauses using only OR. rarer it'll do stuff like WHERE 'John Doe' = name, but overall i think it simply doesn't have that much SQL to draw inspiration from

is there a way I can upload some absolute poo poo to it to ruin things for future generations?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
try giving it a specific dialect of sql so it can make horrors that are db platform specific

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i asked it to write me a bad fizzbuzz and it gave me a normal one and said it wasn't good because it didn't check for 3 and 5 (it did) and that it only went up to 100. then i asked it to write me a good fizzbuzz and it gave me the same code and said it was good because it checked for 3 and 5 and went up to 100.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

lol i also asked it a question from my daughter's 4th grade math homework and, well

common core math :bahgawd:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

try giving it a specific dialect of sql so it can make horrors that are db platform specific

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
at least add a trigger warning before posting this kind of thing, jfc

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Sagacity posted:

at least add a trigger warning before posting this kind of thing, jfc

oh good point, adding some triggers would make this query even gnarlier

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

yeah ask it to write "the worst t-sql trigger possible", let's see if we can reach the apex of "triggers exist primarily to gently caress yourself up in future"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
triggers are litterrally code landmines

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
sounds about right. deploy them strategically and you can prevent any other programmer from setting foot on your turf or dislodge you from your position

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mother of god :staredog:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

:piss:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm less concerned about chatgpt putting programmers out of jobs than i am for comedy writers

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

loving lmao it's perfect

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving lmao it's perfect

yeah ikr, you genuinely cannot write a worse trigger other than like something that’s going to randomly increments arbitrary subset of integer records by 1 on upsert

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Don't forget to add a comment at the top with a date ten years ago and the initials of someone who has never worked at the company

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My worst trigger would just silently change random data sometimes instead of being this noisy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This right here is the first time I've been absolutely floored by any of these AI systems.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

1. it's assuming you only want to return a single column when that wasn't specified in the prompt
2. it's assuming the column is definitely an integer even though it doesn't have a schema definition nor was one specified in the prompt
3. it's assuming the query should not be hard-coded when that has no bearing on how good the script is. if the script reused the same value in multiple places then assigning it first to a variable would be better but if it's only used in one place it probably doesn't matter. given that it's a script and not a procedure or a function how would you even change the value without changing the script?
4. the example table name is a reserved word
5. the example table name is missing the schema prefix. while this will execute if the table exists in the default schema, it could be incorrect and performs very very very slightly less well than specifying the schema even if default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Antigravitas posted:

My worst trigger would just silently change random data sometimes instead of being this noisy.

also yeah this is way worse and closer to poo poo i've seen in real life lol. nuking the table would be incredibly obvious and would also fail if there were any foreign keys referencing it and cascading deletes were turned off.