Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Jetbrain IDEs are the best IDEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

an honorable, powerful snipe

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

FlapYoJacks posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

quiggy posted:

actually vi is good

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

After a few months of using it: MISRA is cool and good. except for the rule that only allows one return in a method. It leads to a lot of nested if statements.

does MISRA still ban function pointers?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

does MISRA still ban function pointers?

No. And thank god. It made making a state machine way nicer. Fun fact, NASA does ban function pointers and strictly limits the use of other pointers!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

FlapYoJacks posted:

After a few months of using it: MISRA is cool and good. except for the rule that only allows one return in a method. It leads to a lot of nested if statements.

single return is dumb as hell

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redleader posted:

single return is dumb as hell

:haibrow:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
pointers, never liked em

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qsvui posted:

pointers, never liked em

What is a pointer? A miserable little pile of addresses. But enough syntax… have at you!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 4, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

qsvui posted:

how is anyone typing ahead of their editor in tyool 2023? just ask your work for a better computer

It's much funnier to cause a bunch of drama every few years when somebody freshly finds out that I've been using my own, unmanaged equipment this whole time

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

FlapYoJacks posted:

:yeah:

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Just got handed 3 products from two retiring devs and figuring out what source code is missing from version control but is on the dev system by comparing the length of the import blob at the beginning of the java files.

But it's impressing how they wrote these 4-5k loc programs with a text editor over a basic vt terminal emulator.

Not quite as impressive is how many (specifically error handling) methods have been broken and circumvented over the years and how it's a full time job to handle all the errors that come straight from customers because if reported and tracked properly someone would notice. Wonder how tall this stack of issues can get before someone figures out how get my user prod access to start fixing them >.<

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sagacity posted:

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Modal editing is really not that complicated, I had the basics pretty much down in like, a week or two
I'm not sure that's the ringing endorsement you might think it is
my rating is that modal is perfectly fine right from the start, as long as arrow keys work

I don't know if I would prefer it but it didn't cause any significant problems

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
learning modal editing is a bet. it worked out great for me and lotsa other peeps, it may not work out great for you

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I know now when I have to edit text in a non-modal editor I find it immensely annoying and slow, but to each their own. That, and how simple it is to extend the editor over time with rebinds and functions and such are the pros for me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
modal editing is an insane concept built for an archaic, dead platform.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
could use some modal posting in here

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

vi is good

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
yeah, star trek vi

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

sb hermit posted:

I’m not familiar with the APIs that I’m using and some of them allocate data on behalf of the caller that the caller has invoke free() themselves.

Your APIs were designed by rear end in a top hat idiots, goondolences :v:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Xarn posted:

As long as they note in the APIs that the caller has to free them then that's ok.

But it's easier to determine all of this with example code that calls that API and frees the stuff.

But the real solution is to use python or rust or whatever where this resource allocation can be freed without the caller having to do anything explicit.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Xarn posted:

a surprising amount of production code has calls to strdup() that never calls free().

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FlapYoJacks posted:

Nano first, then VIM.

/usr/bin/nano is a link to ed on any system i control. if you’re going to deliberately use a bad editor you might as well go all the way

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I like visual studio except for all the bits I dont

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The Curates IDE

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

MrMoo posted:

a surprising amount of production code has calls to strdup() that never calls free().

Wat, why

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xarn posted:

Wat, why

programmers bad.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if you have an application with a short lifetime and you really don’t care about reusable code then you can allocate all the memory you want with the understanding that it all gets freed when the process exits.

maybe they also compiled in a c-based garbage collector somewhere that may be picking up the slack

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Shaggar posted:

modal editing is an insane concept built for an archaic, dead platform.
Shaggar was right

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

vi is a tool to get a headless system into working enough order that you can remotely access and manage it from a desktop operating system such as windows or macos. doing anything more than that in vi is foolish.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Notepad over SSL

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

sb hermit posted:

maybe they also compiled in a c-based garbage collector somewhere that may be picking up the slack

they didn’t, the only garbage collector for c programs that’s commonly used in production is called oom-killer

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ikanreed posted:

Notepad over SSL

*extremely padme voice* you mean over ssh, right?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

NihilCredo posted:

*extremely padme voice* you mean over ssh, right?

What if we SSL handshake by the ASCII only Win32 application 😳

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
But doctor I am profilecelli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I love junior developers.

C code:
if (!(status & ((1 << PUSH_BUTTON_PRESSED))))
Looks normal yeah? Except:
C code:
1 << PUSH_BUTTON_PRESSED always equals 1
So while technically correct, the entire thing can just be: if(!status) lol