Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Man never read gray forums. was catching up on the coding horror coc thread and it's just idiots whining about codes of conduct like not yelling racial slurs on a mailing list killed their mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i actually didn't think it was that bad, the only person suggesting that they were bad is coc's resident idiot savant who has a knack for being completely wrong literally every time they post

i guess there were a bunch of people engaging with him though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jabor posted:

i actually didn't think it was that bad, the only person suggesting that they were bad is coc's resident idiot savant who has a knack for being completely wrong literally every time they post

i guess there were a bunch of people engaging with him though

quark jets seemed pretty mad about them too and a bunch of other people seemed to agree that things like "tweeted inappropriate things in an outside but public forum " weren't damaging offenses.

there was a whole spectrum of excusing abusive and toxic people in there

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i was gonna say well what does inappropriate mean, some things are appropriate for twitter but not the workplace eg man i just farted and it smells so bad lol

but thats not what inappropriate means :/

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
the people gettin hosed up over twitter, they already know in the real world, if they're in a restaurant and wanna drop some n-bomb bullshit, they look over their shoulder first

they just haven't learned to do the same thing on twitter, where 100% always someone is over their shoulder

gently caress em

you don't get to say "i'm not the type of person to do this" after you publicly do it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

hailthefish posted:

everything is bad

especially me

i actually own, i just come by this thread cause im slumming it, like a 30-something visiting baltimore and dropping wire references all the time

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i actually own, i just come by this thread cause im slumming it, like a 30-something visiting baltimore and dropping wire references all the time

drive to inner harbor, eat lunch at bubba gump shrimp co, high tail it out of there. "phew that was close"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
inner harbor loving sucks and gently caress all those sunglasses stands there because lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
my favorite part about the MTA is listening to music on my phone through the speaker, and being able to piss in a moving cart with zero judgement

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my favorite part about the MTA is listening to music on my phone through the speaker, and being able to piss in a moving cart with zero judgement

I liked the mta when I visited but my comparison was the cab I took from the airport and holy poo poo was that a ride

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i take the train every time downtown but when i leave baltimore im always super hungover and late so i take an uber back to the airport because everything is closed on memorial day

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

terrible programmer nested mvc mess update :

despite the hangover I had on Friday I got the embedding a json serialisation of the object into the view and then deserialising at point of use working and woah I wish i'd thought of this ages ago

however I did spend an hour debugging what I thought was some weird caching issue that turned out to be that I forgot to remove an element before adding a new one so was just stacking up repeat elements in the background and opening the same one over and over. felt pretty dumb after finding that tbh.

Also funnily enough, json.net has the same issue I had with mvc when 8 started which is that it flips its poo poo if you try to instance an interact and then has the exact same solution which is to set a type property on the model, include it in your view and then cast to it and bind time, so its good to know that is at least a standard issue fudge.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jit bull transpile posted:

Man never read gray forums. was catching up on the coding horror coc thread and it's just idiots whining about codes of conduct like not yelling racial slurs on a mailing list killed their mom

it's very eye roll inducing to hear from people about how codes of conduct are bad when they have no experience moderating a high-traffic open source project.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

man, i was trying to read gbs yesterday and it was also full of unfunny racists and people making fun of the mentally ill.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

brap posted:

it's very eye roll inducing to hear from people about how codes of conduct are bad when they have no experience moderating a high-traffic open source project.

does the volume of garbage decrease when such a project adds a code of conduct? or do you mean you can point people at the coc and kick/ban instead of getting dragged into a ten round argument about how someone didn’t technically violate the rules because :shivdurf:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pokeyman posted:

does the volume of garbage decrease when such a project adds a code of conduct? or do you mean you can point people at the coc and kick/ban instead of getting dragged into a ten round argument about how someone didn’t technically violate the rules because :shivdurf:

if you kick/ban people when they complain about having to not be a dick you'll probably have less garbage.

and maybe even less software if you're lucky

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

man, i was trying to read gbs yesterday and it was also full of unfunny racists and people making fun of the mentally ill.

has gbs quit with fat shaming threads yet? those are the most incredible examples of spiteful projection on the internet

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
hot take: gbs is no better than reddit

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

has gbs quit with fat shaming threads yet? those are the most incredible examples of spiteful projection on the internet

it's really nothing but the shittiest of poo poo posts now.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

akadajet posted:

wait this is a thing again?

loving moderators, what’s the point?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

wait this is a thing again?

loving moderators, what’s the point?

i guess when you're competing with reddit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
is this more “we can’t have so many rules because it makes things less funny” “GBS 2.0” bullshit?

because come the gently caress on, just kick and ban the racists and misogynists already

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I actually think the current gbs mods are deece, the posters are just dedicated to producing too great a volume of trash to moderate

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
be the change you want to see in this world instead of complaining about other people not doing it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

akadajet posted:

if you kick/ban people when they complain about having to not be a dick you'll probably have less garbage.

and maybe even less software if you're lucky

this dude gets it

i'm not even being slightly ironic

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

be the change you want to see in this world instead of complaining about other people not doing it

ya that's dumb
if you post good amongst those people they shout slurs and SJW at you until you go away

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I can't ban u tho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I can't ban u tho

lol

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re: coc it’s pretty much about not needing to wring your hands about whether to ban/suspend someone and just say “yep they violated a rule, bye bitch”

can’t say it’s less volume of garbage but it’s important to have some kind of process for when people in the community do unacceptable things

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

brap posted:

re: coc it’s pretty much about not needing to wring your hands about whether to ban/suspend someone and just say “yep they violated a rule, bye bitch”

can’t say it’s less volume of garbage but it’s important to have some kind of process for when people in the community do unacceptable things

it's also meant to signal to skittish potential contributors that they won't be abused. if a project has clear rules people who might otherwise fear harassment are more likely to make valuable contributions.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

If the OSS projects I run had more contributors, I’d enact a CoC just so the dipshits who always argue against CoCs — and who generally are the hugest rear end in a top hat in any community — go away and never come back.

I now see the value of CoCs more in scaring away ‘free speech at all costs’ morons who tend to also all align full alt-right on the political spectrum than I do moderating day to day.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
makes sense re: coc, was just curious as nothing I’m involved with has enough contributors/bullshit for it to matter

MononcQc posted:

align full alt-right

this is so close to a tabs v spaces joke but I can’t quite get there

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

pokeyman posted:

makes sense re: coc, was just curious as nothing I’m involved with has enough contributors/bullshit for it to matter

all man's rights

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

well there's your problem

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
real talk though: gbs has become a lot more mild since the last mod switchover, but if you still feel it's too racist/transphobic/anti-gay or whatever, you can start reporting posts you think are bad, open a thread in QCS with your grievances, or contact lowtax via email/twitter through the sticky at the top of each forum. complaining about it in the terrible programmer thread is probably not going to make a difference.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pokeyman posted:

something about an unjustified ruler and marginalized groups

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's OK to be whitespace?

Yeah I got nothing

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

Please don't post esr's blog.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah I got nothing

boooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU