Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

You poor fucker, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Just approve it op what’s the worse that can happen

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i work at a place right now that approves all PRs instantly but dudes will go on later and change names of fields and deployed names and poo poo, passive aggressively breaking things to align with their own unwritten naming convention that is best summarized by "as many redundant prefixes as possible"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Subjunctive posted:

this is what stacked diffs are for, sigh

git won, everything else lost. get used to it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

"wouldn't it be nice if our source control could do xyz?" probably, but github for sure aren't interested

maybe you can build an xyz workflow using git's lego pieces, but you'll be fighting everything all the time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can do stacked diffs with git, even now that phabricator/arcanist are dead! even on GitHub! see the link in my previous post

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
There's more, btw. The branch for this mr was not made from the current mainline branch, but from a working branch the previous tech lead (who's retiring at the end of the week) made 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Also, hello from page 15.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ef core is great because every time you add a migration it adds a second .Designer.cs file, containing a snapshot of the entire EF DB model at that point

for us, every PR with a migration adds a 7.5k line file. our migrations folder has 75mb of these designer files - 1.8m lines of code in total

the official ef response to this is "go gently caress yourself"

Subjunctive posted:

you can do stacked diffs with git, even now that phabricator/arcanist are dead! even on GitHub! see the link in my previous post

oh, i just saw the url and assumed it was some random new vcs instead of, yes, someone willing to fight git on your behalf. i'll check it out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Presto posted:

There's more, btw. The branch for this mr was not made from the current mainline branch, but from a working branch the previous tech lead (who's retiring at the end of the week) made 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Also, hello from page 15.

remember to schedule self-care, it's important

redleader posted:

oh, i just saw the url and assumed it was some random new vcs instead of, yes, someone willing to fight git on your behalf. i'll check it out

oh yeah, sorry -- various ex-FB people have built tools that replicate the stacked diff capability on top of GitHub's swirl of pain, and this is the one that won. I like it a lot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

redleader posted:

ef core is great because every time you add a migration it adds a second .Designer.cs file, containing a snapshot of the entire EF DB model at that point

for us, every PR with a migration adds a 7.5k line file. our migrations folder has 75mb of these designer files - 1.8m lines of code in total

the official ef response to this is "go gently caress yourself"

EF sucks and migrations suck

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Subjunctive posted:

remember to schedule self-care, it's important

Good news, I'm taking some time off next week. Bad news, I'm flying on a 737 Max 9.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

(stacked diffs remain the best way out of this situation, IMO)

thanks for this. I've been rebasing my whole stack by hand like a chump

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what’s a stacked diff

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
oh nifty, didn't know that had a name or tooling but yeah it's a pain to do it manually

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Presto posted:

Oh and the person who posted the MR is the new tech lead for this component.

fake your death and move to belize

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh this is just branching off your branch if you need to. this does not seem revolutionary

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
subjunctive, googling for other stacked diff tools led me to a Facebook vcs tool called sapling that interoperates with git, iirc you’re a facebooker, is it any good?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Bloody posted:

oh this is just branching off your branch if you need to. this does not seem revolutionary

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Bloody posted:

the reason specifically graphite is cool is that most git interaction tooling does an absolutely dogshit job of driving this interaction, especially if you are squash-merging PRs into the target branch. for instance, if you have main <- featurebranch1/pr1 <- featurebranch2/pr2 < featurebranch3/pr3 and each feature branch has 2 or 3 commits, on the github web ui when you merge 1 into main the web ui will retarget 2 onto main, but if you squash merged it won't take out the commits that were in 1 from 2 and you have to manually rebase 2 and therefore 3. this is doubly a problem because many git uis have absolutely dogshit affordances for doing selective rebasing (onto + limit selection).

so the benefit of treating this flow as first class in some kind of add on software like graphite is it does that part for you and manages all the rebasing automatically, and it's intended for one dev to say "i want to use this" without having everybody need to - if you're not using graphite, all you're seeing is just nicer than usual diffs in your pr or mr or whatever your vcs forge calls it.

but also if you have a workflow that you're fine with anyway it works fine. like i do stacked diffs when i can without graphite or whatever and yeah i do my own rebasing and it's fine because i use magit and it makes doing those kinds of rebases take about 5 seconds so whatever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Surprise T Rex posted:

subjunctive, googling for other stacked diff tools led me to a Facebook vcs tool called sapling that interoperates with git, iirc you’re a facebooker, is it any good?

sapling is from after my time, sorry. I’ve heard good things though!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody posted:

it’s everything you have to do if you land or alter the earlier branches that it makes easy. it’s not revolutionary, phabricator/arcanist were doing it almost 20 years ago, but it’s a nice way to work and it’s very annoying to do atop git(hub) without tooling support

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

just take a leisurely month to comb over the two commits.

e: I should read all the pages before shitposting.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

gbut posted:

just take a leisurely month to comb over the two commits.

e: I should read all the pages before shitposting.

i would instead give it a quick once-over, put a couple of naming nitpick conments, and hit that green tick. spending more than 10min is a waste of time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gbut posted:

I read all the pages before shitposting.

*amend, commit, force push*

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i've been owned by apple, and need to vent

we want to use a web view in a mobile app for a flow that we want to do a lot of iteration on for a/b test reasons. much easier to do that on web than mobile given release cycles and stuff, plus our mobile codebase is a loving disaster no one has confidence in and every time we try to ship some big swing it falls apart in production. our web code isn't that much better but at least we can ship bugfixes and rollbacks as quickly as we can write them.

we also want to start doing more automated testing, because, well, see complaints about our codebase being a disaster. on iOS we use XCUITest, which is like the Apple-created-and-blessed tool for this. it's like "black box" app testing; you cannot run arbitrary code in your app. you can select elements in the app using stuff that's visible to accessibility tooling - so labels and stuff - or using the hilariously-named Accessibility Identifiers (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiaccessibilityidentification/1623132-accessibilityidentifier), which are... not actually used by accessibility tooling at all, and are purely meant for visibility to automated testing tooling. so you can render say, a ProfileViewController, and give it the Accessibility Identifier of "Profile Screen," and then your tests can look for an element called "Profile Screen" and look for subelements within that, etc. pretty standard UI testing stuff, from my perspective as a frontend dev - the equivalent of sticking some arbitrary `data-` attribute on an HTML element so that you can target it easily in tests.

these two things have collided in a bad way, because you know what XCUITest doesn't support? Accessibility Identifiers for DOM elements in a web view! you can interact with web views in XCUITest by:

* targeting copy on interactive elements - click a link labeled "Continue"
* targeting interactive inputs by aria-label (which are basically copy for screen readers - not an internal testing identifier)
* iterating through every piece of static text on the page

that's it! you don't get access to the DOM, you don't get any selectors that aren't tied directly to copy.

this has lead to one of our ios developers freaking out and saying we have to stop using web views, because we can't truly test them. and, hey, i don't disagree that this limitation sucks, but business needs mean we absolutely need to use web views here for iteration and experimentation purposes. this has lead to like a 50+ post slack thread of paragraphs of text being thrown back and forth about testing strategies and angry posts about shipping quality software and this all would have been avoided if apple just, loving, supported some arbitrary data tag as an accessibility identifier or something

we can move forward with "low-quality" web view tests - we have tests in the web codebases that should cover granular assertions in these web views, so the ios app really just needs to be able to step through the web views and get back to the native app, and that can be done in a brittle manner by targeting copy (this test suite isn't going to fail builds anyways, since it's an expensive end-to-end suite that depends on our backend and stuff anyways). the only option i've found to truly test web views in ios ui tests is appium, which uses the truly loving galaxy brain option of letting you switch "contexts" from targeting XCUITest to targeting web views using Selenium WebDriver targeting the Safari DevTools protocol - which is exposed by the iOS simulator so that you can use Safari DevTools with web views. i kind of wish someone could build that functionality as a standalone library you could integrate into regular XCUITests, since i don't think we are going to switch to appium

every time i look into iOS development i always walk away thinking "how the gently caress does anyone live like this." i will take all the web framework churn in the world over the hellish tooling that exists in that space

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

also i enjoyed learning that XCUITest has no built-in way to completely reset app state, so the way people do this is by scripting the loving home screen: https://stackoverflow.com/a/36168101

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I just get the code right first time, so I don’t need tests

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
same. tests are for amateurs

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
why write tests if they're just gonna pass anyway

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Increase prize, hire actual tester.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

is testing the web stuff using some normal mobile browser web stuff testing tools not viable for some reason? do you expect the webview rendering to behave differently?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cool av posted:

is testing the web stuff using some normal mobile browser web stuff testing tools not viable for some reason? do you expect the webview rendering to behave differently?

it’s quite common for internal webviews to have things registered such as URL handlers that communicate with the hosting app, and that tends (IME) to be a fragile surface

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah for this case it's not just an "open the web view and let the user do stuff," there's communication back to the app via https://developer.apple.com/documentation/webkit/wkscriptmessagehandler and whatever the android equivalent is

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Just to keep you all up to date, that MR is now 314 files +10669 -5873

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Presto posted:

reject without comment imo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
or say "no im not going to tell you whats wrong, you need to find it for yourself in your pr"

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Took a bunch of pseudoephedrine and banged a -4455/+652 across 106 files with a description of “cleanup” into my teams queue; it’s good to be the boss.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

or say "no im not going to tell you whats wrong, you need to find it for yourself in your pr"

“I have fundamental architectural concerns with this approach; could you prototype up something that will scale a bit better?”

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i think ive already changed my mind and an easy stacked diff tool would be nice. i do a lot of minor cleanup changes locally but typically wind up discarding them because its too much effort to land them as their own thing and i dont want to include them in an unrelated pr but... if that effort was lower...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Presto posted:

Presto posted:

Good news, I'm taking some time off next week. Bad news, I'm flying on a 737 Max 9.

Soricidus posted:

fake your death and move to belize

push that review back; if boeing doesn't get you then do what soricidus said. it's the only way