Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

galenanorth posted:

some ideas already in my rejects pile

"serial nontrepeneur" is not a viable business model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"serial nontrepeneur" is not a viable business model

Might want to take a look at sv

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

just in case, I meant ideas I'd put in the rejects but posted anyway, not ideas I'd actively wasted time on

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I know an ineffectual man who regularly talks about his book of million dollar ideas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

galenanorth posted:

just in case, I meant ideas I'd put in the rejects but posted anyway, not ideas I'd actively wasted time on

if there is one piece of advice to turn computer touchers into sales touchers (people touchers), its "pick up the fuckin phone and call peeps, or show up"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

boy that's a mood

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i would simply not try to access memory that i am not allowed to access

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Startup and ideas is hard, because if it was an easy idea that makes money it would already be done. If it seems like an easy idea, makes money, and is not done yet either you're a genius or there's something you're not seeing.

If you're interested in startups and coding, perhaps you can hit up some startup hub near you and see if anybody is interested in you as a coding gun for hire? You could code all the weird rear end startup pages you want, (hopefully) get some spare pocket cash and start to learn from the startup mistakes from others (in terms of ideas).

Climb up using the corpses of others, OP.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

an idea that makes money is very hard, an idea that sounds like money to vc is still hard but much less so

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
What if your startup was a startup that looked for other startups in early phases to provide rapid prototyping and technical consultations so that they can use the synergistic labour of your collaborations to enter and secure the next round of funding???????

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

disrupting the temp marketplace, i like it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

jesus WEP posted:

an idea that makes money is very hard, an idea that sounds like money to vc is still hard but much less so

This.The economics of VC money are fucky.

Heres how to raise a 1 on 8 seed with no revenue: Good resumes for overconfident founders, passable $2B bottoms up TAM estimate, story about how youll get not laughably bad product economics that can get you to $100M in revenue, mention subscription or recurring revenue.

floatman posted:

What if your startup was a startup that looked for other startups in early phases to provide rapid prototyping and technical consultations so that they can use the synergistic labour of your collaborations to enter and secure the next round of funding???????

You mean an incubator/accelerator?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 17, 2020

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
c tp s:
I'm looking to write unit tests for our React Native app and I've gotten Jest to work fine, but testing anything that renders is such a pain in the rear end. Tried tinkering with enzyme, but it only supports shallow rendering and hooks don't seem well supported, does anybody have any good resources for this kind of stuff?

@testing-library/react-native and react-native-testing-library both seem promising but god everything JS is such a mess of overlapping libraries, I'd appreciate some guidance if someone has any

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

idris 2 compiles to javascript. rewrite your app in it and encode your tests at the type level :reject:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NihilCredo posted:

idris 2 compiles to javascript. rewrite your app in it and encode your tests at the type level :reject:

he’ll yes this!!!!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Chewbaccanator posted:

c tp s:
I'm looking to write unit tests for our React Native app and I've gotten Jest to work fine, but testing anything that renders is such a pain in the rear end. Tried tinkering with enzyme, but it only supports shallow rendering and hooks don't seem well supported, does anybody have any good resources for this kind of stuff?

@testing-library/react-native and react-native-testing-library both seem promising but god everything JS is such a mess of overlapping libraries, I'd appreciate some guidance if someone has any

@testing-library is the best poo poo ever, and shallow rendering is dumb.

also use TypeScript, it’s really neat and if you are going to do JS there is no reason to not use aTS instead

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

server side rendering is the true path to glory

dynamic websites are an insult to humanity

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

blazor does seem the correct take pretty much yeah

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i think everyone wants SSR in some flavor at this point, but there's a big split between "we've got a very complicated universal app that returns HTML to the client on first render and does client-side rendering and routing after that" versus "we've got a traditional server-rendered app that talks to the database and returns HTML templates"

we have the former for our marketing site and it's a loving appalling over-architected nightmare, and the client-side rendering performs far worse than if we just did a full page navigation instead. I'd like to find a way to pull it out of universal React hell, but the problem is, I definitely can't be like "okay, let's build a Rails app!" ideally we'd have something in between that is pulling together the right data for each page (in a backend-for-frontend-like manner) from our services and rendering HTML

i'm not sure anyone's really pulled pjax/"html over the wire" stuff into a nice out of the box framework yet. basecamp is like the only company that seems to be championing this stuff, and I'm pretty sure they still build on Rails/Turbolinks/Stimulus? there's some irony here in that, like, the last few times I've used Rails, it's been acting purely as an API (which usually means you don't get to use half the most useful features of Rails, like libraries that generate auth scaffolding or all the forms stuff, making Rails pretty fuckin pointless tbh), but I think what I'd actually want would be the opposite - Rails as a rendering layer consuming my actual backend API. of course I'm not sure Rails is even a great option for that considering its lack of async I/O, and you'd be missing out on all of the other nice Rails integrations where it binds to your models and whatever, and that's... why when people want that "rendering layer," they go for something like Next.js and drag all the complexity of the React ecosystem in instead, even if you really don't need the client-side aspect at all

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
the kind of SSR you want is exactly the kind for which a boring language like C# and Java is ideally suited and which frameworks like ASP.NET or Spring have been doing for literally more than a decade. sure, this isn't very buzzword heavy but it'll work very well, scale like a boss and be well-supported for years to come

it never ceases to amaze me how webdevs tend to rail (ha) against the supposed complexity of .NET or JVM but have precisely zero qualms about building flimsy house of cards that break if someone looks at them wrongdynamically

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
using a well thought our java or .net framework requires you to learn a bunch up front. webdevs would rather learn a little at a time, or preferably not at all, so smashing together this week’s ephemeral npm hot picks until the result kind of works is much more appealing than doing it properly

basically webdev is to software engineering as playing with lego is to real engineering. except for some reason half the bridges in the country are made of lego now and nobody seems to care.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
better rewrite the bridges using a new opinionated zero-configuration framework then! (*)

(*) commit 4957ccef: (chore) release 2.0.0 - introduce some configurability through the subset of yaml that includes sexagesimal numbers

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

javascript as "glue" is definitely easy but god is it horrible to maintain. Source: first thing I ever did (after fiddling around while bored at work) was a WCF backend for a 100% jquery based spa frontend

it was horrid. but it worked. Most of it is replaced with mvc now but even then you need to gently caress around with js client side to do dynamic stuff

I think next time I do anything from scratch at work I'm gonna 420 Blazor it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Soricidus posted:

using a well thought our java or .net framework requires you to learn a bunch up front. webdevs would rather learn a little at a time, or preferably not at all, so smashing together this week’s ephemeral npm hot picks until the result kind of works is much more appealing than doing it properly

basically webdev is to software engineering as playing with lego is to real engineering. except for some reason half the bridges in the country are made of lego now and nobody seems to care.

the reason is because bridges actually matter and most websites don’t

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think next time I do anything from scratch at work I'm gonna 420 Blazor it.

terrible programming: 420 blazor it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
javascript as glue sucks poo poo, javascript via react as the entire front end seems good to me

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

abigserve posted:

javascript sucks poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SQL Server devs, sobbing: y..you can't generate a concatenated nested heirarchy string for a path of unknown depth and with multiple routes as the output from a SELECT statement...please....

me: hahaha CROSS APPLY table valued function go brrrrrrrr

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SQL Server devs, sobbing: y..you can't generate a concatenated nested heirarchy string for a path of unknown depth and with multiple routes as the output from a SELECT statement...please....

me: hahaha CROSS APPLY table valued function go brrrrrrrr

tell them to just use a document database

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

tell them to just use a document database

it's a vendor db :rip:

it's a total mindfuck actually. nodes in the heirarchy can have multiple different relationships to other nodes and this is represented incredibly badly in the DB views they provide. like "sometimes the parent id is not a parent and sometimes it is and sometimes it's its own parent" bad. my favourite is probably the "root node id" which, depending on how you follow the hierarchy links, might not actually be the root at all!

i think i need to take a step back from this and instead of building a complicated jenga tower of edge cases using recursive SQL, write something else that preprocesses the data into a more understandable structure first.

edit: no wait if i call another table value function from inside the first i can probably support the branching i need in the heirarchy and still do it all inside a single SELECT statement (which is what a different vendor system uses to get data from the first)

i have already preemptively commented the docs on this with "good luck"

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 20, 2020

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

This.The economics of VC money are fucky.

Heres how to raise a 1 on 8 seed with no revenue: Good resumes for overconfident founders, passable $2B bottoms up TAM estimate, story about how youll get not laughably bad product economics that can get you to $100M in revenue, mention subscription or recurring revenue.

You mean an incubator/accelerator?

what is a 1 on 8

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it's a vendor db :rip:

it's a total mindfuck actually. nodes in the heirarchy can have multiple different relationships to other nodes and this is represented incredibly badly in the DB views they provide. like "sometimes the parent id is not a parent and sometimes it is and sometimes it's its own parent" bad. my favourite is probably the "root node id" which, depending on how you follow the hierarchy links, might not actually be the root at all!

i think i need to take a step back from this and instead of building a complicated jenga tower of edge cases using recursive SQL, write something else that preprocesses the data into a more understandable structure first.

edit: no wait if i call another table value function from inside the first i can probably support the branching i need in the heirarchy and still do it all inside a single SELECT statement (which is what a different vendor system uses to get data from the first)

i have already preemptively commented the docs on this with "good luck"

yeah these are usually the types of solutions people will make when they say, 'i can make our relational db do that' as they're trying to replace our document db. just total insanity

don't get me wrong relational dbs have a time and place but the industry as a whole is way overinvested in them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the fact that someone has made a bad schema that is hard to query how they want is not an argument against relational databases in general

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i am open to the idea of nosql because it seems like at least some smart people seem to think it is okay but i've never seen an application of it in my life that wouldn't be 1000 times better as a regular psql db (or occasionally a psql database with a foreign key to s3 files)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

bitch please ever heard of recursive CTEs????!!!!1!

I have a query that's like five CTEs feeding a massive recursive CTE over a dozen joins. it typically runs in less than a minute and it produces a tree structure with the details of every piece of raw materials you purchased over the past year (or whatever), which processes they went through, and which finished products they ended up in, including an estimation of the % of raw materials still present in the finished product. it's my sagrada familia because every few months I need to add some more insane groupings to it

and the first column happens to be exactly a concatenated nested hierarchy string used as a sorting and navigation key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

bitch please ever heard of recursive CTEs????!!!!1!

I have a query that's like five CTEs feeding a massive recursive CTE over a dozen joins. it typically runs in less than a minute and it produces a tree structure with the details of every piece of raw materials you purchased over the past year (or whatever), which processes they went through, and which finished products they ended up in, including an estimation of the % of raw materials still present in the finished product. it's my sagrada familia because every few months I need to add some more insane groupings to it

and the first column happens to be exactly a concatenated nested hierarchy string used as a sorting and navigation key

this gives me a whole new idea of how to ruin the rest of my week and the future of anyone else that has to look at what I've done!