Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

because it apparently needs rebooting for some reason (patching of some kind I guess) and nobody knows if it will actually work

yeah, things just working without being touched forever is mostly a good thing, but can kinda be a problem. we recently had an important internal service that'd been running without problems for seven years suddenly stop working. the person who set it up left the company five years ago, and no one knew where it was even running or if the code existed anywhere. we got lucky and it turned out to be a well-documented (once we found the docs) thing running on a DO droplet that we'd been wondering about which simply ran out of disk space due to never cleaning up logs, but it could have been a much bigger hassle. if it'd been worse written and required kicking every month to keep it working then we never would have forgotten where it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also wrong thread

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 15, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wrong thread

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

idk "cyber prose" sounds a lot like terrible programming to me

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://hiccupfx.telnet.asia/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gimme a warning on that link geez

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fuuuuuuuuck

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Anyone who develops SCADA systems, please reconsider career choice.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrMoo posted:

please observe the moratorium on touching the poop

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrMoo posted:

haha im gonna hack your IP address n00b :twisted:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

this is great but I really think it needs to load first then blank out and struggle to redraw

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MrMoo posted:

At least it's not a Java applet?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Antigravitas posted:

At least it's not a Java applet?

It was Adobe Flash. All content being jpegs, literally all combinations of text are different images, nothing dynamically rendered.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, contracts and stuff

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 17, 2022

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sapozhnik posted:

haha im gonna hack your IP address n00b :twisted:

I normally post with public host name but been Dockering on a VM, alas I can only access a test machine via Teams and like a dozen people in a meeting. So far three calls: one to install everything whilst enjoying no copy & paste; actual received a connection from their data feed but no data. Second in new year to receive one message that broke the schema I had. Final one I could process a stream of messages and display something but missing content. I added support for some extra messages and recorded this video with the dataset recorded during the Teams call.

https://youtu.be/mDSRxME53pI

It looks like the original vendor is struggling to duplicate the production feed and just dropping messages, but there are way more out-of-service trains than I would expect.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/__dfreeman/status/1481994525350535169?s=21

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:allears:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

javascript is just the biggest pile of poo poo

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
honestly can't think of a language where eval wasn't a mistake

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Blinkz0rz posted:

- or -

How I stopped worrying and learned to love curl pipe sudo bash

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the real problem is that we have 2 standards for line endings in common use

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

akadajet posted:

the real problem is that we have 2 standards for line endings in common use

how many windows apps still can't handle plain \n newlines though? even notepad.exe has been able for a while

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

SMTP uses \r\n for some god drat reason

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Truman Peyote posted:

Simple MICROSOFT transfer protocol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Truman Peyote posted:

most network protocols do. that historically was the normal thing with unix's bare \n being the weird exception.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

if you think about it in terms of a teletype, printer or even typewriter it makes sense. to start a new line required two operations: you did a carriage return (\r) to reset the print head or paper to the start of the line and advanced one line down (\n). unix just combined the two actions into one character code. the real oddball was classic macos, where they decided to use just \r for newline + carriage return for some reason

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 17, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
code:
unix newlines
		work like this

windows newlines
work like this

mwaocroks l inkeew ltihniess

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Lol Shaggar doing the Chris Rock routine but with OSes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the mac os characters should be printed on top of each other but thats close enough

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the mac os characters should be printed on top of each other but thats close enough

yeah it’s hard to get right when you’re posting from an iphone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

so that’s how zalgo text was born

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Blinkz0rz posted:

I use it in my MATLAB scripts and NC code. It really helps with otherwise limited languages. I'm pretty careful about how it's implemented and my applications are relatively small and only distributed to a handful of machines so it's not the end of the world if there's a hiccup with them.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blinkz0rz posted:

the read-print-loop is not a very useful development tool

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Soricidus posted:

the read-print-loop is not a very useful development tool

yeah that's just posting

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

pokeyman posted:

yeah that's just posting

Nah, because they still included the unnecessary read instruction.

:justpost:

animist
Aug 28, 2018
jupyter is the grandest evolution of the repl and it still sucks

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
New job is migrating to github, and I was incredibly excited until I found out that they're creating a bunch of custom tooling so they can keep using their existing rotting duct tape tech instead of actually using GitHub. No idea why we're even going to be paying for this

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

github has a lot of improvements over the various internal wrappers for svn/git i've used preofessionally and that's a good step forward from whatever they were doing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

leper khan posted:

New job is migrating to github, and I was incredibly excited until I found out that they're creating a bunch of custom tooling so they can keep using their existing rotting duct tape tech instead of actually using GitHub. No idea why we're even going to be paying for this

should have gone to devops instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
devops is just shell scripts somebody slapped an svg logo on