Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

both times i was taught the concept, the prof asked if there was an "obvious" right way, to which 100% of the students raised a hand, then asked if it was big or little, and got a 50-50 split

nah, I'm not saying big or little is obviously right to me, I'm saying the names should be flipped according to how I think about it

but yah I forgot about the Gulliver's Travels part, of course it's a loving reference. at least it was decided way too early for it to be a monty python reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

big endian is big end first, little endian is little end first.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

aardvaard posted:

big endian is big end first, little endian is little end first.

the first end, also known as the "start" of something

you know, like how all stories have a first end, a middle, and an ending.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just say "correct byte order" and "wrong byte order"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

DuckConference posted:

the first end, also known as the "start" of something

you know, like how all stories have a first end, a middle, and an ending.

ends have meaning outside of "start and end". things can have a front end and a back end, or a heavy end and a light end, or a big end and a small end.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

"i'm a front end developer"

i'm sorry i think you mean a front start developer?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

“that’s nice but instead here’s 16 hours. we’re an agile company :downs:

nah this is a finance multinational and my boss is a former banking exec

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nah this is a finance multinational and my boss is a former banking exec

that doesn’t sound fine at all

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sapozhnik posted:

Still don't understand why people use vue instead of react

Protip redux is poo poo but nobody is forcing you to use it, it's a totally independent thing

i assume react is probably not any better, but my knowledge of vue is that it turns any js traceback into a giant pile of inscrutable utility loader functions, half of which are anonymous. trying to figure out which levels are poo poo i should care about (our code rather than vue's poo poo) is a painful and tedious process, and the sentiment of our frontend devs is that they have no idea what to pay attention to either.

i do not understand how or why the stack that arguably has the best live debugging tools around has apparently gone out of their way to then make those tools unusable

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

Protip redux is poo poo but nobody is forcing you to use it, it's a totally independent thing

vue has some quirks to get used to but works really well and has a lot of features that make things easier. not needing webpack is also great because it doesn't really fit into the workflow of the platform i develop for

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

that doesn’t sound fine at all

eh, not much to actually complain. there’s definitely no agile or tempo bullshit involved in my work since im in credit risk unit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

now task delegation and information sharing though. we just had a hands on meeting about that and my idea to replace lovely slow jira with trello was shot down by proposal to use a shared google spreadsheet for an entire department

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Talking of lovely decisions:
we need a system that polls an external api periodically and the saves the results on our end. Work has started on a system that polls the api when it receives a kafka message and puts the result on another topic, a system which periodically puts empty messages on a topic, and a system that receives the result topic messages and exposes it as a table. Surely this will solve the complexity issue!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

now task delegation and information sharing though. we just had a hands on meeting about that and my idea to replace lovely slow jira with trello was shot down by proposal to use a shared google spreadsheet for an entire department

Put conditional formatting on every cell that does nothing except if certain keywords are put in a cell the background turns red.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Put conditional formatting on every cell that does nothing except if certain keywords are put in a cell the background turns red.

yeah i can make it work sure, but it feels, uh, regressive. either way our “manager” roundtable conclusion was that we each want a different thing and our discussions were aimed at personal, not global problems, which in normal language means at least a few more weeks of meetings on the subject until we start talking about the same thing

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 17, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

means at least a few more weeks of meetings on the subject until we start talking about the same thing

This is far from the worst outcome of such a meeting

mystes
May 31, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Talking of lovely decisions:
we need a system that polls an external api periodically and the saves the results on our end. Work has started on a system that polls the api when it receives a kafka message and puts the result on another topic, a system which periodically puts empty messages on a topic, and a system that receives the result topic messages and exposes it as a table. Surely this will solve the complexity issue!
Just fork Cron and rename everything to make it sound Big Data-ish.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

aardvaard posted:

"i'm a front end developer"

i'm sorry i think you mean a front start developer?

front butt developer

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

mystes posted:

Just fork Cron and rename everything to make it sound Big Data-ish.

Cron + redis wouldn't keep a team of devs busy for a few weeks, nor provide them job security supporting it afterwards

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

i assume react is probably not any better, but my knowledge of vue is that it turns any js traceback into a giant pile of inscrutable utility loader functions, half of which are anonymous. trying to figure out which levels are poo poo i should care about (our code rather than vue's poo poo) is a painful and tedious process, and the sentiment of our frontend devs is that they have no idea what to pay attention to either.

i do not understand how or why the stack that arguably has the best live debugging tools around has apparently gone out of their way to then make those tools unusable

this is basically every js framework and library

on the other hand, if you don't use frameworks or libraries, then you're writing entirely in vanilla javascript

the grass is always greener on the other side

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

It's all the reactive stuff, it remaps everything under the hood so that it can trigger redraws appropriately when data changes.

That said, as long as you've got an error handler set up, this sort of thing is only really a problem with errors during the render.

The vue developer tools are reasonably functional as well, worth getting if you don't use them already since they can actually shed light on what the hell is going on under the layers of vue stuff.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 17, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I went to go try out vue and react and vs asked me to install npm so I decided it wasn't worth it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

I went to go try out vue and react and vs asked me to install npm so I decided it wasn't worth it

i always knew you were a faker lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk what u mean? I've used other js frameworks before but I didn't want to have to deal with a huge compiler chain for loving javascript. id rather just not write any javascript.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yarn add react-dom

Then I guess press whatever button in vscode compiles your jsx typescript down to browser JavaScript

Or if that's too much work let $ = React.createElement

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
virtual dom is a great performance gain but you should be allowed to turn it off and get a debuggable rendering stack

lmbo at the possibility of making that work though

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

id rather just not write any javascript.

well yeah, wouldn't we all - but if that's not an option, npm + typescript are your best bet at getting javascript to behave like a real programming language.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Node is trash and I haven't found a compelling reason to ever use it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

prisoner of waffles posted:

virtual dom is a great performance gain but you should be allowed to turn it off and get a debuggable rendering stack

lmbo at the possibility of making that work though
Earlier javascript frameworks may have used a virtual dom purely as a performance optimization, but in the react model don't you *have* to diff the output with the previous output in order to avoid deleting and recreating each element time you render (which probably wouldn't just have worse performance, but also cause all sorts of problems directly)?

Like if you don't want a virtual dom surely you can't use an approach where the view is a pure function of the state in the first place?

Or am I misunderstanding how this stuff works?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

mystes posted:

Earlier javascript frameworks may have used a virtual dom purely as a performance optimization, but in the react model don't you *have* to diff the output with the previous output in order to avoid deleting and recreating each element time you render (which probably wouldn't just have worse performance, but also cause all sorts of problems directly)?

Like if you don't want a virtual dom surely you can't use an approach where the view is a pure function of the state in the first place?

Or am I misunderstanding how this stuff works?

nah, you're basically right.

in theory though, deleting and recreating each element on each render should have performance problems but not correctness issues beyond stateful elements: inputs and anything highlighted

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Sapozhnik posted:

i just chose the thing i was told to use by a guy I know who's used both. he roughly said vue was a more complete one-stop-shop for the kind of functionality I was looking for.

so far it's needs-suiting but I feel like knowing react is probably useful on more platforms (that I don't have to target right now)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Node is trash and I haven't found a compelling reason to ever use it.

basically every javascript tool these days requires it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

it's for angular1 people who want something maintained but don't want to learn yet another framework

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

basically every javascript tool these days requires it

thats a really good argument against ever touching npm

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Spime Wrangler posted:

i just chose the thing i was told to use by a guy I know who's used both. he roughly said vue was a more complete one-stop-shop for the kind of functionality I was looking for.

so far it's needs-suiting but I feel like knowing react is probably useful on more platforms (that I don't have to target right now)

react is barely a framework. It's more like a design pattern with a bunch of library support to make doing things "the react way" a bit easier. at least imho

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Finster Dexter posted:

react is barely a framework. It's more like a design pattern with a bunch of library support to make doing things "the react way" a bit easier. at least imho

and jsx, so that you can require a preprocessing stage and put html in your javascript, and javascript in that html, and html in the javascript that's in the html that's in the javascript

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
first we laughed at them for claiming that they were "programming in html", then we continued laughing at them because they used php
now they are so insecure that they try to emulate big boy programming languages by adding build processes and compilation steps and linking steps and frameworks upon frameworks to a loving half assed scripting language originally intended to make animated crap follow the cursor, and they keep wrapping trivial one-liners into dedicated npm modules

lol forever @ web developers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration, but perhaps the good thing about React is that it at least feels this way: you generally don't have to think about the details of the virtual dom stuff or the component model, etc. at all, so all you really have to worry about is your own code.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

React has been the only tolerable js thing I've done in my very limited js experience of: vanilla, react w/ es6, ancient jquery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Vanilla JS is fine if you don't have to deal with anyone else's code.