Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also check out the lovely Cum Sea at the top of the same map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you really wanna get into the weeds of diagrams that are exactly the system, can i interest you in the nightmare that is simulink

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bloody posted:

if you really wanna get into the weeds of diagrams that are exactly the system, can i interest you in the nightmare that is simulink

god lol that brings back memories

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bob dobbs is dead posted:

tef also parsed my statement that its therapy as me saying that its useless,

the whole point mononcqc and I are making is that "maps omit detail by their nature, and sometimes that lets you focus on what's important, even though you can also use it to focus on what's not important, but that is an reflection of the map's quality, rather than the quality of mapping itself"

meanwhile, your point, the one you've been making, might be best summed up in the following verbatim quotes:

- "the diagrams with little boxes and arrows are there to make you feel smart and give the management less anxiety."

- "they're supposed to communicate the structure of your system, but will they ever actually do that? or get close to do that?"

"- not even for communication, is what i'm saying. "

- "who gives a flying gently caress about anything being connected to reality in any way. the nodding and mmhmming is the point"

- "but you cant even navigate by it either, is my point. liturgical document, like the jerusalem map"'

it's probably the bit where you said stuff like this that gave me the impression you think it's 'not useful for communication', given you said explicitly that several times over, rather than the bit where you compare it to therapy, if that helps

your argument boils down to "i keep seeing comments like 'adds 1 to x' so comments are useless for communication", but given your posts, i can understand why you're often at odds with communicating intent through text or diagrams, it's very off brand

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
this is also why i said stuff like "here is the things i've learned from architectural diagrams at work"

tef posted:

look, "architectural diagrams are useless" is a bold statement to make when they're often the only record of the company's org charts. you can often see how things have changed over time, how responsibilities have moved, and which teams actually talk to one another.

but, then again, if the map is so busy and cluttered to be useless, or so reduced in scope to be decorative, then sure, you've got a bad map

and why mononcqc said stuff like this:

MononcQc posted:

They surface and explicit assumptions people make about the structure, and while they never fully represent it, the ensuing discussion can be useful.

it's as if you picked up a book and looked at the index and huffed "a list of words, what good does that do? you're just boasting about your vocabulary"

and after a bit more huffing and puffing, you picked up the table of contents, "great, more lists? this doesn't mean i know what's in the book. this is just decorative"

when neither of us are saying "a table of contents or an index is a substitute", we're saying that a good architecture diagram can be a guide, and help you ask questions to further your understanding, and occasionally answer questions too

like "which things do my team work on", or "what things do my team rely on", or "who do i have to talk to go get a bug fixed"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my entire point is that they're sermons, not lectures. panegyrics and mandalas, not manuals

that's an underlying bait-and-switch for the max/msps and simulinks of the world: they sort of promise you that you'll be able to write the code in that panegyric liturgical way and then actual coding has to happen so you're forced to write an infernal mess and the visual effect is like a sand mandala laid down by tweakers

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
sure enough, programmers, and managers really do suck at documentation, no matter the form, but i don't go around yelling "comments are useless" even though i have seen some awful, terrible documentation in my time on this god forsaken world

but that's why i say things like "comments should make intent clear, not mechanism. it's the code's job to make the code's operation clear, but a good comment can tell you _why_ they're doing it that way, maybe even _why_ they aren't doing it another. yes, comments have a maintenance burden, and bad comments only bring misery, but a good comment pays it's way through reducing misunderstandings"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

my entire point is that they're sermons, not lectures. panegyrics and mandalas, not manuals

that's an underlying bait-and-switch for the max/msps and simulinks of the world: they sort of promise you that you'll be able to write the code in that panegyric liturgical way and then actual coding has to happen so you're forced to write an infernal mess and the visual effect is like a sand mandala laid down by tweakers

if i have to read your posts then please for the love of christ, read your own posts too before trying to summarise them

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I am sorry your experience talking with people you work with and describing said areas of work has been so abysmal, bob.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like, you see this?

Poopernickel posted:

I work in a group where this happened:

- week long architecture summit
- on day 3, five principal engineers got together and tried to draw a diagram of our existing architecture
- they spent 5 hours with a whiteboard and came up with something that nobody agreed was correct
- on day 4, they tried to present it and failed completely

that's my story about architecture diagrams, hope you like it.

I hate my job.

this is an encounter of faith and faithlessness, at root, isnt it? or p2h's anecdote about the insanity with the 70 boxes and compliance people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

this whole conversation is making me think that communicating with other people is fundamentally impossible so good job everyone

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

less flippantly, i too have read very bad vision documents

i quit a job because some coked up vc wrote an "archtiecture diagram" with all the clouds and boxes and arrows you speak of, including one that just said "deduplication"

but i think the problem here is the coked up vc, rather than his confusion between an architecture diagram and a flowchart

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I work in a group where this happened:

- someone had alerts correlated in a way that didn't make sense
- we took a diagram that showed the data flow of telemetry going to a collector they did not know about
- we showed the correlated alerts to all go through that component and some alerts not firing not going through it
- the coworker understood why the alerts fired together and why the correlation pointed at a collector outage

wowie the map had a use in supporting the explanation and we have direct proof it worked? what the gently caress is happening in this thread?!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the key difference is i'm able to imagine a world where some diagrams that talk about architecture aren't taken from a slide deck written by someone on a dopamine fast

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tef posted:

the key difference is i'm able to imagine a world where some diagrams that talk about architecture aren't taken from a slide deck written by someone on a dopamine fast

some of this is colored by my dealing with goddamn vc's a sight more than you, absolutely

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

some of this is colored by my dealing with goddamn vc's a sight more than you, absolutely

i think we're in agreement now, that sounds like hell and i too would end up being very flippant

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
getting flashbacks to a former boss' pitch deck that had things pointing to a cloud, and then putting our logo over the cloud

and watching board members and investors clapping and honking like trained seals

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

data gravity is what makes all the data flow towards the data lake, therefore if we have more data, it will attract even more data
- some basho exec way back when, with probably one of these loving idiotic maps

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i also worked with a founder who insisted on maintaining the system overview, in a ritualistic manner—as if moving the boxes around was him taking charge of the situation. same guy who called for two minutes silence during the all hands every time he got presented with "we won't ship on time", so he could think his way out of it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i can't think of the amount of managers i've had who's entire mentality is "i moved the post it note, why isn't the work done yet."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tef posted:

i also worked with a founder who insisted on maintaining the system overview, in a ritualistic manner—as if moving the boxes around was him taking charge of the situation. same guy who called for two minutes silence during the all hands every time he got presented with "we won't ship on time", so he could think his way out of it

should have had some horn music

https://youtu.be/GA3su0ECdPc

e: and theres throat singing! should have more throat singing in software imo

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 28, 2023

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
but yeah i think we agree there's a world of difference between people documenting what they work on, and founders/vcs describing their vision

even if the latter are aping the former

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I sat through an hour long run through of 'old architecture that used a vendor platform that completely failed and we wasted millions trying to make work' Vs 'new architecture that is exactly the same but we replaced "vendor system" with "two existing ones that we're gonna somehow upgrade"' but left everything else exactly the same.

when we said "but if you're not addressing the problems with lack of tie up with consumers that doggged the project" we got told "that's not the priority right now" lol

bonus: one of the systems being built out was written pretty recently and entirely using angular which I didn't think anyone used anymore.

e: lol

quote:

AngularJS is a discontinued free and open-source JavaScript-based web framework for developing single-page applications. It was maintained mainly by Google and a community of individuals and corporations.

ah yes maintained by google, there's a death sentence if ever I saw one.

e2: wait angular is supported and is distinct from angularjs? Who the gently caress decided on that naming conventions

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 28, 2023

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

one of our early engineering onboarding exercises when we were few enough people was that you attended a meeting where you were given an architecture overview, and next meeting you were the one to give the architecture overview to another new engineer (with a few senior people to correct and complete and support questions).

It was a really interesting way to see everyone come up with different representations and whether they'd remember all the services or would show deprecated ones.

It's harder to do now that the batches of joining engineers are larger so fewer people have the opportunity of drawing the map on their own from memory, and it's always with a bigger crowd so the formula is changing to be less intimidating.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
true lesson of the day: there should be more throat singing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

look at this poo poo lol

quote:

The rewrite of AngularJS was called "Angular 2", but this led to confusion among developers. To clarify, the Team announced that separate names should be used for each framework with "AngularJS" referring to the 1.X versions and "Angular" without the "JS" referring to versions 2 and up.[7]

totally clear well done

mystes
May 31, 2006

Angular 2.0 Full Speed

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
maybe semver would be actually useful if instead of "major version" it was "you must fork and rename your project. the names must have a levenshtein distance of at least 4"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
previous was angular. new one is Angular-JS. levenshtein 4 done, capitals count, jobs done boss

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
dammit time to make a new scheme

systematic versioning

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

pokeyman posted:

maybe semver would be actually useful if instead of "major version" it was "you must fork and rename your project. the names must have a levenshtein distance of at least 4"

back in my day, you broke the api, you renamed the library

it had some advantages like "you can link both versions of the library into your code"

but, alas, ruby developers went "there isn't a bulbasaur2 in the pokedex, this is a terrible name" so here we are

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i don't think i've ever seen an architectural diagram which was actually intended to convey information and not just convey the feeling of information, but i am willing to believe that they exist

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

MononcQc posted:

data gravity is what makes all the data flow towards the data lake, therefore if we have more data, it will attract even more data

look, if you have a better explanation to explain why orgs suck up more and more data and create tools to allow them to suck up even more data than than "data makes data gravity", im sure we'd all love to hear it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
"data gravity" absolutely has the feel of an influential thoughtworks post

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Plorkyeran posted:

i don't think i've ever seen an architectural diagram which was actually intended to convey information and not just convey the feeling of information, but i am willing to believe that they exist

any time any kind of documentation breaks out a flow chart to try and explain how it works, my brain immediately shuts off and refuses to parse it at all. i don't know what kind of brain they are meant for but it aint mine

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Woof, remind me to never explain how the graph database is laid out, then.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

redleader posted:

"data gravity" absolutely has the feel of an influential thoughtworks post
ADOPT

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have seen plenty of extremely good architectural diagrams but typically in higher rigor engineering environments than typical software development or worse yet startup world

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
They called the second Angular "Angular".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought they had renamed Angular (v1) to "AngularJS" but based on googling it seems like maybe it was always "AngularJS" and people just called it Angular for short