Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
are they intending to codify typescript's type notation? seems bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pep-582 has been rejected, interesting

https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-582-python-local-packages-directory/963/430

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

anyway i think we need to stop all non-security-patch development on web browsers for a while until we figure out what's going on

all the useful stuff like async/await, fetch, async iterators, css flexbox, css grid is quite a few years old by this point and the only things that have been added to browser engines since then are new and exciting forms of built in spyware

i guess maybe tc39 temporal would be a useful addition to the javascript standard library but other than that i got nothing. maybe standardized annotations and type annotations as well but those are stuck in committee hell.

good thing js is a fast moving, innovative ecosystem and temporal is going to be released any day now. right?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

quote:

This is similar to the npm node_modules directory, which is popular in the Javascript community, and something that developers familiar with that ecosystem often ask for from Python.

I want to know who is saying “man, what I really wish I had was node_modules”

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

Idiots. Nobody wants that, and they can already do that if they want by running the program with PYTHONPATH if they so wish. There’s also venv and containers for 99% of the projects. It’s a solution looking for a problem.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the problem with npm isn't node_modules

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fucks sake I'm trying to call this idiot exe from c# as another because of the dogshit way authentication is handled by our org (you have to call the exe to get a token but it can only be certain types of account that do this), and impersonation doesn't work and the exe gets called as the main process user.

so I'm trying Process.Start and passing a username and password and now I get a bare Access Denied error fffffffffuckkk

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh lol I was calling the process start from inside an impersonating thread for the same account and I guess trying to do a startprocessas for yourself doesn't work!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my homie dhall posted:

anything would be better than the current state of

FlapYoJacks posted:

Idiots. Nobody wants that, and they can already do that if they want by running the program with PYTHONPATH if they so wish. There’s also venv and containers for 99% of the projects. It’s a solution looking for a problem.

I mean pretty much every other programming language can handle having a load of packages and you just specifying which to use for a given project.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

champagne posting posted:

I mean pretty much every other programming language can handle having a load of packages and you just specifying which to use for a given project.

And next you'll be telling me that there are artifact repositories that don't allow re-uploads?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MrQueasy posted:

And next you'll be telling me that there are artifact repositories that don't allow re-uploads?

i don't get this joke

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

i don't get this joke

Rereading it, neither do I. I think the covid is finally taking hold.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

yes, including python.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

i don't get this joke

I think it’s in reference to the NPM package author(s) that overwrote old versions to break them. This happened with uWebSockets,

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrQueasy posted:

Rereading it, neither do I. I think the covid is finally taking hold.

lmao

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

redleader posted:

the problem with npm isn't node_modules

You don't say.

quote:

More than half of all new packages that are currently (29 Mar 2023) being submitted to npm are SEO spam. That is - empty packages, with just a single README file that contains links to various malicious websites.
https://blog.sandworm.dev/one-in-two-new-npm-packages-is-seo-spam-right-now

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

javascript programming is great because every error is "cannot read property fart of undefined"

Even better now because you have optional chaining so you just replace butt.fart with butt?.fart and you're done and JavaScript never has errors.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

Even better now because you have optional chaining so you just replace butt.fart with butt?.fart and you're done and JavaScript never has errors.

fuckitjs is 11 years old, errors have been optional for a long time

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Doom Mathematic posted:

this is the way

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
on error resume next

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

compromise idea: gather all execution errors and then attempt to raise them all at once in a multithread map at the end of the program's execition, to keep track of things

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm gonna be glad that I can stop touching JavaScript because my new job is not computer touching it's making the life of computer touches miserable by saying "here's what we're gonna build functionally, go do it and don't gently caress with me because I've done this before "

3 months left of this one though and I guess I'll do some hobby project to waste my time to keep my hand in a bit, but with as little js as possible

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

cinci zoo sniper posted:

compromise idea: gather all execution errors and then attempt to raise them all at once in a multithread map at the end of the program's execition, to keep track of things

AWS bill optimisation: persist the errors to throw immediately at start of next execution

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i thought this was a great writeup of the current annoyingness of python dev and packaging, in contrast with other popular tooling

https://chriswarrick.com/blog/2023/01/15/how-to-improve-python-packaging/

you pretty much need a silo-ed python but also a way to control or use that siloed python that doesnt link back to the system python

docker, hatch, and conda have worked well for this so far, leaning towards hatch and docker depending on deployment story

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Share Bear posted:

i thought this was a great writeup of the current annoyingness of python dev and packaging

https://chriswarrick.com/blog/2023/01/15/how-to-improve-python-packaging/

you pretty much need a silo-ed python but also a way to control or use that siloed python that doesnt link back to the system python

docker, hatch, and conda have worked well for this so far, leaning towards hatch and docker depending on deployment story

https://bitecode.substack.com/p/why-not-tell-people-to-simply-use colleagues were discussing this recently

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

that's great and i agree with the core tenet, its what i also wrote in the pypi dev survey about why python packaging sucks

quote:

provide a single procedure that will let most people do their job and have the highest possible rate of success.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

any .net peeps have opinions on nuke

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

yeah. nuke .net

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(i don't know what nuke is)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

winnuke?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bloody posted:

not much, what's nuke with you?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

not a .net peep, but it was hardly my favourite map

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
there's a good ios image fetch transform cache display library called nuke

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

pokeyman posted:

there's a good ios image fetch transform cache display library called nuke

can you string some more words together? I don’t think this technology sounds enterprise-y enough.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
efficient persistent async loading processor pipeline

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bloody posted:

i have a nuclear hot .net take: classes should have implicit interfaces you can access with ClassName.Interface

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i have a nuclear hot .net take: classes should have implicit interfaces you can access with ClassName.Interface

drat this is a good idea

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

i think i agree but it should be opt-in or opt-out with a keyword, like sealed for sealing classes

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Bloody posted:

if you're talking about the cms... some coworkers have to manage an app using an older version and hate it all.

the successor project is written in angular + netcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Cold on a Cob posted:

i think i agree but it should be opt-in or opt-out with a keyword, like sealed for sealing classes

enable it in csproj like nullable / implicit usings. that would own hard