Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

serverless is great for when you have a simple problem and want to turn it into a distributed systems problem

most people using serverless are already using the internet

the talent deficit posted:

aws lambda is good for when you want to do something in response to an sqs message, an sns notification, a dynamodb stream event, a cloudwatch event or a kinesis message. it's garbage for responding to http requests tho. i assume 'knative' has similar characteristics

those would be http requests though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

suck my entire rear end

programmers: i don't care about style as long as it's consistent and enforced across a codebase, perhaps with automated tooling

also programmers: i loving hate significant whitespace!!!

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
i think it's because programmers are libertarians or something and hate being "forced" to do stuff?? anyway significant whitespace is cool and good

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
lazy evaluation isn't the same thing as conditional evaluation, which is what short-circuiting boolean operators do

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

gonadic io posted:

conditional evaluation is a form of lazy evaluation tho. "non-strict" evaluation if you're being full pedant

i mean they're both forms of "not evaluating something" but the lazy in lazy evaluation comes from the fact that the programmer can be lazy and not worry about the condition at all

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

gonadic io posted:

you know what pattern I loving hate? The visitor pattern. like you could just accept a single lambda, that chooses which cases it wants to deal with via pattern matching.

oorrrrr you could accept 100 different overridden methods to deal with each case one at a time. it's cropping up in rust which does have good pattern matching and I'm at a loving loss to figure out why except maybe "c++ devs"

"design pattern" is just a term to describe a way to overcome a deficiency in a programming language. the GOF design patterns book was written to overcome deficiencies in 1994 java. except people read it now and think sprinkling design patterns in their code makes their code better

in conclusion, don't read the GOF design patterns book

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
unfortunately i have to learn c++ for work, what’s a good resource for doing so? i’m comfortable with c and java so i don’t necessarily need to start from first principles

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what version are you working with? poo poo has changed a lot over the years and old resources will hold you back with bad practices

c++14 thankfully

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
scala is fine, you can do whatever fp wankery you want with it or just treat it as java with better syntax and pattern matching. but if you can get paid to write haskell or rust you should do that

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 17, 2018

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

all of my programming opinions are for sale

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
didn’t ratbert start his job relatively recently? and what is his equity exactly, stock options? congrats to the dude but lol at pretending he’s going to come out a millionaire from this

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
like when my last company was acquired i made like 30k from my options. after taxes i guess it was a nice vacation and a bit of savings

e: shameful snipe but w/e

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

ugh i cant wrap my head around how to structure my python module. i keep wanting to split classes out into their own files, but it makes imports super hosed up

im too used to java i think

is there a good primer/example project that i can look at?

hosed up how, like you get ImportErrors because your two modules now depend on each other? you should fix that circular dependency anyway as it'll lead to fewer headaches later. if you just mean you have a lot of imports and it's slower or something, don't worry about it

but for the former, you basically have two options:

- make your modules smaller / have them do less. if A depends on B which depends on A, take out one of the dependencies (ideally both) and put them in a separate module C, which depends on both A and B

- make your modules bigger / have them do more. if the previous thing doesn't work, you can just combine the modules into one big one

obviously the right choice depends on your exact code, and i'm not exactly sure what you expect to learn from the design of a completely different project

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
wikihow

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you implemented the system it's near impossible to write good documentation for it, since you've used it so many times you've been doing things that is not the way the user will use it.

not really. do you just start implementing a system without giving any thought to how or if the user will use it?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
you can literally read about why dependency injection frameworks are useful on the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_injection#Dependency_injection_frameworks

it's about scales of code. if you have a small self-contained program that doesn't have independent components to test, you don't need dependency injection. likewise, if the things you need to configure in your application are easily representable as, say, scalar values instead of code, you don't need dependency injection frameworks

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
also yea like the previous poaster said, it’s a design choice, so it’s not NECESSARY for anything, but it does make things easier

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
old people complaining about the internet should be added to the canon thread topic rotation, next to whitespace arguments and dynamic vs static languages

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

how did computers and the programming of them become so amazingly poo poo anyway

its actually not that bad

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Jabor posted:

The big issue is complexity. We want to build complex things quickly and easily, which we do by building abstractions - by writing several layers of abstractions, you can focus on one layer at a time, and the complexity becomes tractable.

the problem is that nobody knows how to make a perfect abstraction, so all our abstractions end up being a little bit leaky. which means that not only do you need to know the abstraction you're working on top of, you also need to know what's going on underneath that, and it all goes to hell.

it’s basically this. programming looks more poo poo now because you can do more poo poo with it

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
there was a bug in your GUID library and it turns out they actually aren't random

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
are programmers thinking they can definitely optimize the elevator algorithm a thing at every big company?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
they're like the regular lambdas you already know, but you can assign a helpful name to them using special syntax

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Shaggar posted:

theres no scenario where dynamic typing is good

sometimes you can run your program faster than you can type check it

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

i googled this and it showed me places in my area to pick berries. what am i supposed to be seeing that's supposed to make me cry?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Sagacity posted:

I had a colleague (type: never saw something new he didn't like) demo bazel a while ago. after the demo someone asked "so why should we use this instead of maven"

answer: because it's new

i've seen it adopted because remote caching of build artifacts can cut down build times significantly. but this (and it's versatility) only matters if your project is "complex" enough

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
work is definitely not something i associate with comfort, so napping at work just seems bizarre. luckily the rest of my team is on the west coast so i can just sleep til noon at home

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

python empty list is falsy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

are you loving serious

wait til you hear about javascript

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
there's no standard way to do it, but it is python so the only limit is your imagination. for instance you can subclass property and auto-generate a setter when you define your field. __setattr__ is probably the easiest thing but also the one most likely to bite you in the butt as your class gets more complex

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
use a cpu profiler like https://github.com/sumerc/yappi

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

epitaph posted:

i've finally hit burnout after about 14 or so odd years of working in this industry. resigned from my job in december with nothing lined up. tell me your stories of recovering from burnout. what got you excited about programming again, if anything?

if you can afford to not work for a bit, find and focus on a non-programming, preferably creative hobby for a while. you'll either learn more about what you enjoy doing, or be reminded of what you enjoyed doing. maybe use that to inform your next job search, and definitely take extended breaks longer than every 14 years

the last thing that got me excited about programming was learning rust and realizing a game i had an idea for when i was like 14 (the first book i ever bought was petzold's 1100-page programming windows. i never learned how to program windows)

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
fizzbuzz is dumb because if someone solves it, you have no idea if they're a good programmer. you just know they aren't an atrocious one. just ask the hard question if you don't want to waste everyone's time

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 21, 2021

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this

"not laughably atrocious" is all you can learn in an interview. it's a valuable thing to learn in an interview

hard questions are basically masturbating at the candidate but the softballs are valuable

if you really think that, like that fizzbuzz gives you good signal on a candidate, your hiring process is broken

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
the bay area isn't the only place in the US to get paid and it's dumb to pretend like it is. FAANGs have multiple offices around the US. maybe your base salary living in colorado is 150k instead of 200k, but your 150k/yr stock grant is the same. and post-covid the remote opportunities have only increased, i'm fully remote clearing 500k/yr (although i have to stay within the US unfortunately)

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
haskell is nice because of its type system. other statically typed languages like python get you part of the way there, but the amount of constraints and verification you can encode in haskell's type system really does make it fun to use

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

redleader posted:

like what now

python is a general purpose programming language, popular for its flexibility. like many compiled languages, it has static typing -- optionals, generics, immutable & write-once types, first class types, structural subtyping, you name it. you'll commonly see it called a "p-lang" (productive language) around here, surprised you haven't heard of it

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

cool av posted:

what if you need 0-downtime updates?

use pt-online-schema-change or similar, ezpz

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

bazel only has one use: building stuff in google's monorepo.

there's no reason anyone should even consider it unless you have an absolutely massive monorepo made up of different projects and you want to use the same build system for everything.

the only thing that bazel does "well" is that it isolates the inputs in a chroot and the outputs of the stages have to be explicitly defined or else they're not available afterwards (they are lost to the ether).

it's syntax is super ugly. you also lose all the other poo poo that some build systems have like "external dependency management" because to use something like a 3rd party java .jar library, you need to fetch it yourself, place it in your repo, and set up a target for it.

https://github.com/bazelbuild/examples/blob/master/java-maven/BUILD

super ugly syntax. what could it even possibly mean?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
you should also be checking in 3rd party libraries, yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
bazel's syntax is actually based on a programming language that is world famous for having simple & clean syntax