Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
otherwise it’s not a compass, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

Can we talk about the elephant in the room here? What possessed everyone to use

C++ code:
/* these comments */
instead of

C++ code:
// these comments
? C99 turns twenty next year...

and Visual Studio will finally support it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

tinaun posted:

male shoegaze you should write a blog chronicling your HKT rust adventures, there's fp nerds on the lang team who would probably love to read about it

they might also start treating some of it as a test case, ensuring it gets recognized, compiled, and optimized as best it can

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

JawnV6 (or anyone else): recommendations on where to get started learning assembly? it's about time.

don't say reading luigi's posts

you could do worse than to read her are posts

but really, fooling with something like 68K In emulation can really help you get a feel for it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Fiedler posted:

great, you've figured out that you want to write developer tools. now immediately go apply for those jobs. worst case is you're not hired and you try again in 6 months.

also spend your time after this job writing tools

hacking on Rust itself would be a good start

so would hacking on Swift, or writing new static analyses for clang, or helping with the SBCL POWER9/ppc64le port, that sort of thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rust hacking suggestion: take your functor thingy and profile the compiler and see if you can figure out why the slow part is slow, and what to do to fix it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

tef posted:

i'm just mad all the time

if ranting in the pos helps with that then yes please more

but if we wind up exacerbating it then don’t, we’re not worth your mental health

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

hey i want to throw together a tool for sending commands to the transputer board. unfortunately the system it’s in runs windows 95 and I don’t actually really know anything about pre-.net windows pogromming

do I use MFC or what

I have visual studio 6 installed

just write C for Win32, it’s a lot like classic Mac Toolbox programming for some reason

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

go maximum mid-1990s and use Harlequin Dylan for Windows

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

truly outrageous

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

composability good, class inheritance bad willing to die on this hill

they’re both good just for different things

“class inheritance bad” is essentially denying the existence of is-a relationships, which is laughable on its face

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ok what’s the best blogging option in 2018? this is about shameless self promotion and not a burning passion to share my ideas with the world so im willing to pay i guess. ideally there’d be analytics i guess. not sure about comments: id guess that comments generate more traffic but it gives people an opportunity to point out how stupid i am right there in the blog, as opposed to offsite.

also people with blogs: do you think it’s helped your career much?

fist eggplant medium can be a way to build an audience

putting your poo poo on your own domain (though hosted) is something you’ll want to do though

be sure to leverage Twitter etc. too, for audience engagement

micro.blog is easy to host stuff on, also can work like Twitter itself but also lets you host bigger content including photos and podcasts and can also act as a gateway/aggregator for your own hosted stuff (imagine if medium pulled from your wordpress server)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

gently caress it rolling my own blogging engine

write it in server side Swift!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i'm definitely going to market this around. the rust team just introduced some blog amplifying program where you submit your blog and they post it up all over the place so i'm gonna try and do that too.

the Rust Evangelism Strike Force… is real?!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

faculty and TAs at Carnegie Mellon didn’t give a poo poo what tools we used for our assignments as long as submitted assignments compiled and ran and such with the course tools

of course, this was in a more civilized era

honestly, being able to use a graphical debugger while my classmates struggled with dbx was pretty affirming of my technology choices

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

just write some Lisp for processing structured tagged text

then write in that and write something to output LaTeX from it (or even directly output PDF)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

gonadic io posted:

Ex coworker used to chose in comic sans full time. Idk if he was doing it ironically, or as some kind of counter-culture thing? He said he found it easier to read maybe he just has lovely eyesight

I’ve heard that comic sans is coincidentally easier to distinguish for people with dyslexia

and unlike dyslexia-specific fonts it’s installed everywhere

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

TheCog posted:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a p-lang?

I don’t know, what’s a p-lang with you?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

does rust let you declare your own operators, using Unicode too?

because if not, there’s a project for shoegaze

get all APL up in here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the FP people need more APL in their lives

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

structure it as an internal cloud so that the people developing your applications don't need to care about managing actual machines

applications don’t run in the cloud, applications run on users’ devices

back-end services used by applications might run in the cloud, of course

if you’re really talking about web pages, having someone else host your web pages has been a thing almost as long as web pages have

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

make them write in LaTeX and use git?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oh my god i dont know how to do anything. i might as well be learning emacs from scratch.

try doing this

get yourself off vi

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

typedef std::vector<Window *>::iterator WindowIterator;

Now I remember why nobody likes C++.

lol at Stepanov’s terrible library design, having everything take begin and end iterators instead of having sensible collection protocols

oh but then someone might try to treat collections as interchangeable even though they have different performance characteristics and we can’t possibly allow that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I think that’s cjs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it'll need to be custom built, unless the format is braindead simple at which point it's not very useful. also where are you sending such binary objects? would the tool need to support RS-232, JTAG, some other transport mechanism, etc?

i work with a few satellite comm providers and they provide some tools that lets you define a schema for messages and then generate the binary representation from a UI to send/read for testing. same thing with a lot of the embedded hardware we deal with.

the reason why postman works is because http is a standard.

a couple decades ago there was a Mac a tool called General Edit by Quadrivio where you started out with a hex view in one pane and could play around with an almost-C data structure definition in the other and see the data reinterpreted almost as you typed

since it was almost-C it was an extremely useful reverse engineering tool and I wish I could convince its author to give me the source or convince somebody to rewrite it

it’d be especially awesome if someone built something like that which could also handle packet/stream captures

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi30 do the Motorola 68000 version

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

another thing to look at might be things like the original “Design Patterns” and “Refactoring” books; they were both originally written as a way to explain things commonly seen rather than as prescriptions for how to work, and as such just reading through them may help you spot places where you can improve your code

one of the aphorisms from the agile community in the very early 2000s also sticks out to me given tef’s recent discussions: once, twice, refactor.

if you’re writing applications, don’t bother trying to make everything you do generic and reusable. even if you need to do it twice in one application you may not need to refactor and extract a reusable component. it’s only when you get to using it regularly—three times, four times, N times, depending on the size and specialization of your codebase—that you should think about extracting something reusable.

of course like everything there are some people who tied to codify the advice as a rule, but just looking at this stuff as guidelines and advice and things observed can help you see places to break apart the things you create in ways that will be familiar to others and therefore hopefully not cause more problems than they solve.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is me reading this:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my new dog posted:

my academic license for github expired and now microsoft is holding my codes ransom

welcome to the social!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

gods yes, give me explicit scoping any day

it’s one of the best things about Smalltalk and Objective-C

only in Common Lisp and Dylan do I not feel its lack when writing or especially when reading code, and that’s because they do full multimethod dispatch instead of messaging

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't recall if it goes through historical stuff like lisp-2 namespaces, but it definitely puts you into a place to understand what tef is rambling about

Lisp-1 vs Lisp-2 isn’t that big a deal

in a Lisp-2, the same symbol can have a variable binding and a function binding, eg

code:
(defun foo () nil)
(setf foo t)
will give foo two values—a function that returns nil, and the value t—and which one you get when evaluating foo depends on context

a Lisp-1 behaves like you’d expect from other languages where foo would only have one binding, the value t

a few people insist that to be a Lisp is to be a Lisp-2, everyone else just rolls their eyes

Common Lisp and emacs Lisp are Lisp-2 while Scheme and Dylan are Lisp-1, so it’s obviously not all that constraining

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so i'm working on generating interrupts for my emulator now. i can implement it synchronously and i'm sure it will work fine, but i'm very tempted to run the cpu in its own thread and send interrupts to it. this seems to better match how the machine would actually work. am i right here or am i just making excuses to play with futures?

does Rust or the platform you’re running on support something like queues or thread pools? those would be an even better choice than parking the CPU on a thread

then you could run every emulated device on its own queue or thread as well

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

if you get an interrupt and have a long-running instruction pending retirement, do you blow it out intending to re-execute or delay the interrupt until all pending instruction boundaries retire?

what does the reference manual say the real CPU does

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Why not implement a gdb remote debug interface

this is the pro tier solution, then you can even do things like use LLDB’s full-screen terminal UI

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

because i get an excuse to write a GUI, something i havent done in ages.

mine is a hot mess of preprocessor token pasting and xmacros

write a GUI around the gdb remote protocol :)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yet again m68k demonstrates its architectural superiority

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

jit bull transpile posted:

Eschaton, how are things at home?

wonderful :)

just recycled a bunch of old audio and video cassettes and weeded our old CDs, and also got some old Macs from my parents’ house (both 68040 and PowerPC!)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it’s not the new hotness anymore it’s bad

for example, subversion used to be considered good, now it’s considered the worst thing ever because git exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

c tp s: i've finally snapped. i've forked gnu m4 and i'm rewriting it in C++17.

I know this is supposed to be a safe space and all but

wha the Christ