Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is this the one you posted about saving to disk like 16 hours ago or is this a different vulnerable prod database?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

is there a system design where it makes sense to be decentralized but with one node that holds the schemas everything else uses?

its a design pattern that doesn't make any sense to me but it comes up enough that i'm assuming that someone did it really well once so now everyone tries to do it too kinda like dark eyeliner on blondes in the 90s

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

how often do they need to be rescheduled/tinkered with? it sounds like Luigi might be need-suiting maybe

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the most common use cases are to

1) read log after failed execution
2) manually run the job before schedule

airflow can do that; we use it at work and i hate it, but i havent used it for long enough to know if it is because it is bad or just that i'm too new at it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i havent done latex in a while but when i was in grad school if i needed a chart i would make it as an svg with a more reasonable program and then include it as a pic in the latex doc

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

can you change the doc to match the svg instead?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

just wrap the line parser in a try that continues on catch imo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

its pretty soothing to write a language that literally doesn't do anything unless you tell it after using something like rails or whatever where there is a bunch of lovely "magic" happening all the time

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

how often do you fix code that you've written? or, if you dont have time to fix it, how often do you run into design choices you've made that turned out to be bad?

identifying mistakes i've made and fixing (or at least figuring out a solution for) them is how i've learned most of the stuff you're talking about

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

is there a better way to json.loads() something and failover to an empty object if the string is bad than just a try catch?

it seems hacky to have to trycatch for thousands of lines that might fail this json parsing step

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i feel like there should be a json.get_object(json_string, default_value) method but maybe the json module is really excited about the dumb python institutionalized try/except ideology

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i did it after i posted about it i just wanted to talk about terrible programming in the terrible programming thread tef, gosh

this dataset is literally going to fall into the except clause 60,000 times a day so it feels really bad to rely on catches here. i probably should just count brackets on any string that's max length but its not really worth the trouble, I was just wondering and honestly kinda surprised that json.loads doesn't have some kind of default argument like dict.get does

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

for some reason it 'clicked' with me at work the other day that i actually had visibility to a ton of our stuff on aws and I learned a ton about our infrastructure and wtf we're doing up there in the cloud and it has actually been pretty interesting

costs a god drat fortune though lmao god

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

drat dude where you at that a computer toucher pulls down 130k monthly

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i've been thinking a lot about how helpful the forums have been to me over my career and how sad it will be when i have to get my programming tips and discussion from hackernews and reddit. i think this place is swell.

so, i finally got my poo poo together and created a real terrible programmers offsite.

check it out:

https://gophersland.com/

lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if i couldn't rewrite history 90% of the commits at work would be wip/a single period/gently caress

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

especially when i was learning how to use airflow and had to commit every time i deployed

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Lime posted:

mario/luigis

mario/yoshis

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i feel like having something like that on your github/resume would keep you in bad jobs for the rest of your life :ohdear:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if regexes were the first thing i learned about computers i would probably be a farmer now

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

everybody wants to be a farmer until it’s time to do farmer poo poo

i volunteered on my csa's farm once because they needed help harvesting before an unexpected freeze and it was a really good time but summertime farm work is probably worse than regexes

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

hyperfocusing on ways to make kafka act like sql is the terrible programmer equivalent of vegans who insist on eating tofurkey and soy corndogs

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

there shouldnt even be a double quote we should just be using double apostrophes

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im just glad that the spa fad died out almost everywhere, idgaf what web devs do as long as it isn't ever that again

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

TheFluff posted:

writing any kind of moderately complex gui app is a pain in the rear end in pretty much any plang I can think of. javascript as a language is bad but you can't really blame it for the fact that managing a spaghetti mess of stateful garbage is just really obnoxious in general.

i agree with this but i think everyone thinks their poo poo is "moderately complex" when actually almost nothing is

jira is literally just grouping and printing checklists but somehow that poo poo takes longer to load than my actual entire os does

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

"oh dang is jira down--oh nvm its just inexplicably taking 45 seconds to load a list of four textboxes with 40px avatars abutted"
- me every single morning at my job

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i wish they'd emulate a competent dev team and build a fucken native app

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

galenanorth posted:

The worst thing about web scraping is having to wait as long as 20 hours to see if a program collected all the records so that the number of records matches up with what it should be.

I'm not trying to be a dick (because i have totally done worse stuff than this and had it fail, waisting even more time) but you have just described the exact situation that unit tests are designed to address

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i can't think of any reason why a huge polymorphic table of all the things would be good

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

other cool thing: having a support@companyname.com creating JIRA support tickets automatically and somehow one of our vendors for our satellite comm stuff started sending emails there for some stupid conference.

so now we got JIRA task spam which is great because JIRA wasn't slow enough as it is.

everyone involved in the creation of JIRA should be euthanized. making plugins use REST calls while still being INSTALLED INSIDE THE GODDAMN SOFTWARE ITSELF is ridiculous. REST is not IPC........

ops recently migrated our local confluence install to cloud atlassian version and it is somehow even slower than our already loving insanely slow jira

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

is this like a java thing because i dont understand why subtraction would ever be necessary? don't all languages have greater-than and less-than built in?

edit: i think this reads like i'm being snarky but i am genuinely asking because it seems like a weird thing for me to be confused about but i'm not understanding the discussion

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

you can get pretty far with entity-relationship diagrams and users stories, but that might not work for your stuff it is complicated on an axis these two things cant address

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh if it is a really simple diagram you could also use mermaid

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i know that feel

its always the last line bc the file was truncated when it was being pulled onto the cluster hth

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

(please remember that this is a safe space for terrible programmers when you read my question, im sorry)

if the code needs a debugger to debug it doesnt that mean it's too complicated in the first place? i don't ever use debuggers because everything is written in such a way that it's all unit-testable and i dont need the whole thing to be running to find bugs

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i think the moment i finally relaxed about being an imposter was when someone else deployed code to prod that still had a debug trace call in it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i had a gene screening thing done a whiel back and learned that my body processes opiates much more slowly than normal people so they dont feel like anything to me

the doc gave me a bunch of hydrocodone when i got my tonsils out as an adult and i couldn't figure out how anyone was getting addicted to that stuff because it felt exactly like tylenol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Sagacity posted:

code:
select * from children c where c.id in (select p.child1, p.child2, p.child3, p.child4, p.child5 from parent p where p.id = parent_id)
~declarative~

i dont have a hosed up pretend pivot table to test it on but if the db doesn't support this i think you can just do

code:
select * from children c 
where c.id in (
	select p.child1 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
	union all
	select p.child2 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
	union all
	select p.child3 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
	union all
	select p.child12 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
)
since there's just a dozen columns its easier to just do this instead of figuring out what incantation your specific db needs to do an unpivot

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

while we're on the topic, i have a question that has bugged me for a while:

what the gently caress is the point of the default behavior of vlookup (i.e. the 'will pick a nearby row somehow and give you that value instead of saying not found if your item isnt found)? does that match any conceivable use case that isn't just insanely sloppy scripting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

why do people move to japan instead of going to a place with more progressive labor standards idgi