Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Found out today that my Dev team is being relocated (and thus my job will no longer exist) in December.

Welp, hope they like paying me to browse these here forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
sql prod story:

Guy was doing some testing locally, updates a row on some table to point to an image stored on his machine. Dunno exactly what led to it happening between testing and running it live but long story short all the paths on the customer’s live DB are suddenly changed to point to the same path.

Pretty sure the boss chewed him out, which he could probably have avoided since we all used the same admin account per customer, except that the path he changed it to was like “C:/Users/JohnSmith/…”.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Sagacity posted:

i once came across the story "as a product owner i want column FOO in table BUTT to be set to 3 when BAR is 'Y'"

I've seen my fair share of "as a CSV importer..."

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

MrQueasy posted:

why would you want to? the diamond is cooler

I've seen some bad opinions in my time, but...

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
graphqlchat from a few pages ago, I got caught out with something that seems incredibly dumb. I'm not sure if this is a graphql thing or a "we use a lovely cms with a terrible layer over graphql" thing, though. i suspect it's the CMS.

In our app, Users have a Type. Different Types of Users can see different Categories of Butts. When we get a request, we take the user auth -> get user's Type -> get a list of Categories a user should be able to see -> get all Butts that are in any Category in that list. easy.

code:
filter: { category: { anyIn: [ "Category1", "Category2" ... ] } }
Now we need to add a user Type that can't see any Butts at all, super easy, no problem... Except that if we pass it an empty list of Categories when retrieving Butts, it just gives me fuckin everything? The gently caress?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

cool av posted:

gotta be whatever lib you’re using that generates actual queries from gql queries

lol yes, library, definitely not just a string with that query in it or anything.

i assume it's the lovely cms implementing its own thing when you hit its api tho yeah

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Nomnom Cookie posted:

basically if your engineering org is bad at building and operating a monolith what makes you think they would be good at something more complicated

every time I’ve worked anywhere that tried to do microservices, what we ended up with in practice was “what if .dll, but over http?”

payment service order service whatever service works independently (?)

No (,) dependencies (!)

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

well-read undead posted:

no! everything in one app or every function deployed individually! NO EXCEPTIONS

on the contrary there will be a lot of exceptions, when we fail to update six identical api contracts simultaneously and one service has no loving clue what the others are talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
subjunctive, googling for other stacked diff tools led me to a Facebook vcs tool called sapling that interoperates with git, iirc you’re a facebooker, is it any good?