Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

CPColin posted:

cjs: Handling a corner case where a user logs in, but isn't in the vendor's database, so the API call to get their details returns null. Can't figure out why my "if (vendorId == null)" check isn't working. Turns out our code "handles" this situation by creating a fake, empty user details object with the ID set to "-NONE-". I just got rid of that empty object altogether and everything works fine.

are you sure there's not some other component that will break when it receives null instead of a fake user object

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i just want to get the most bang for my buck is what im saying

if you wanna do something maybe interesting and never make money at it stay in academia or contribute to open source

if you wanna be overpaid to make the world worse go into commercial web development or mobile apps

if you wanna never have an existential crisis leave technology altogether

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Kilometres Davis posted:

JavaScript is much better than PHP this thread is insane.

JavaScript’s framework and module ecosystem is easily as bad if not worse though.

why would you even bother saying this

like you're trying to convince someone that drinking a glass of bile is better than drinking a glass of diarrhea

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Kilometres Davis posted:

An accurate metaphor for my career path thus far, yes.

programming.txt

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

thank you tef for continuing to rant in yospos

sincerely, no yoscasm

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm being facetious. clearly a language needs to be able to model is-a relationships. i suppose i'd amend my statement to say "composition is better than complex inheritance.

i like sandi metz's advice on class inheritance trees: broad and shallow is better than narrow and deep

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i really dislike visual studio too but it does the job. except for vcs integration, gently caress that - i just alt tab into visual studio code for git operations

same here, p much

i do drat near all my coding in either visual studio or vscode

and in visual studio i always ignore the vcs tools and switch to either vscode or a command line

(unless i'm on a project that uses tfs, which is thankfully almost never)

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

admittedly react/jsx/html, which i'm not very comfortable with in general, and rust, where the bad experience is not because of vscode.

but about 3 hours ago i discovered zen mode in vscode and i've been really enjoying it.

ime visual studio is wicked awesome for anything c#/.net and sorta okay for anything else

vscode suits the rest of my needs

i don't gently caress with rust, tho, so i can't speak on it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

SpaceAceJase posted:

Yo, what's a good ETL/workflow engine for parsing CSV files, and doing stuff like error trapping at certain steps?

Js or PHP options please. I'm a terrible proframmer

php has fgetcsv and fputcsv

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

TheFluff posted:

the first programming thing i learned was regular expressions. i was 9 or 10 years old at the time - my dad taught me. to this day i maintain that it really wasn't a bad place to start thinking abstractly about a single symbol being a representation of some other set of symbols. i didn't learn anything about state machines until over a decade later though.

that's not terrible as long as you don't get stuck thinking "this is how the syntax should look for all things always"

much like any other thing you learn first

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Spime Wrangler posted:

everybody wants to be a farmer until it’s time to do farmer poo poo

if only more people could relate to this sentence when paul mooney replaces the word farmer

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

the talent deficit posted:

I’m sorry we already have a John Smith using our app, you’ll have to change your name

way to miss the point of even the part of the post you quoted, let alone the previous sentence

you don't even disagree with him. you just failed to understand the whole picture. learn before you speak bitch

edit: for the second time this week i'm editing a post because i might have misunderstood sarcasm. maybe it's time for me to take a yospause

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 21, 2018

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

xtal posted:

Does it still ship proprietary, opaque binary blobs? I hope so, because I consider spyware to be a feature of my text editor.

it's been open source under an mit license for a while now. if you download one of their prebuilt binaries, it ships with preconfigured telemetry options and ms-specific branding. other than that i think they're the same

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

mystes posted:

I wish they had described this as being for "visualization" or something. I ignored it when I saw a link to it yesterday or the day before because when I saw "analytics" I assumed it was for analyzing website traffic or ads or something. I guess maybe I'm not sure what "analytics" actually means?

analytics is basically synonymous with data analysis, but your assumption is understandable since the term is so ubiquitous in seo and digital marketing

gotta use the fifty-cent words if you wanna call yourself a growth hacker

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

a manager at my last job categorized unit tests as non-functional requirements. "non-functional" simply meant "unimportant" to him so he discouraged working on them as much as possible

when their flagship software imploded it practically killed the whole company

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

gonadic io posted:

At my old job I made the mistake of rushing things without unit tests and presenting it as an option. Not making that mistake again

imo that's the #1 argument for using ci and writing unit tests first. more for the benefit of bureaucracy than the development process itself

if you tell management the feature works but you haven't written unit tests yet, they might tell you to skip it

if you tell them the build is broken, they'll panic and give it top priority

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

prisoner of waffles posted:

#63 seems like a pretty small ask from someone donating their time to sqlite

but #36 precludes the foss community en masse

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Doom Mathematic posted:

Probably counting npm install as part of the "compilation"?

that was my first guess. possible bonus, someone added `rm -rf node_modules` to the start of the build because they couldn't figure out how else to resolve dependency changes

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

Fun story about that!
They hired a guy, one of my ex-coworker's whom I am still friends with gchated me and offered me lunch for a quick brain dump for him, of which I agreed.

The lunch was excellent, and the new guy was not only lied to repeatedly about the sheer scale of what he was getting into, but also everything he would be responsible for.

He quit the next day. :v:

Reminder: A month before I quit, the CEO at that place said he could replace me in 2 weeks.

Edit*
At the lunch, I didn't talk about the company, or the politics inside, as those * may * have changed.
The only thing I talked about was what I was responsible for, what I did, the overall architecture of the projects, what I did for DevOps, the servers I setup (Chef, Ovirt, Jenkins, Gitlab), how I implemented drivers, build scripts, programming languages, etc etc.

I may not like the company, but I won't talk about anything I don't know about either, and I certainly won't gossip to somebody I don't know.

your yospos story arc has been fascinating and i wish you the best

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

the people gettin hosed up over twitter, they already know in the real world, if they're in a restaurant and wanna drop some n-bomb bullshit, they look over their shoulder first

they just haven't learned to do the same thing on twitter, where 100% always someone is over their shoulder

gently caress em

you don't get to say "i'm not the type of person to do this" after you publicly do it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

akadajet posted:

if you kick/ban people when they complain about having to not be a dick you'll probably have less garbage.

and maybe even less software if you're lucky

this dude gets it

i'm not even being slightly ironic

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Arcsech posted:

very often production software is complex enough that you can’t hold every execution path in your head at once, and interactions between components are the source of way more problems than bugs within a single function/class/whatever. integration tests help but you’ll never cover every scenario

my top use cases for debuggers:
1) doing things I *could* do with logging, but with a 100x faster turnaround and less info to sift through
2) poking state at runtime to force a failure
3) figuring out what the gently caress type a variable is. mostly in dynamic languages, but sometimes in Java if there’s an interface or inheritance tree that has more than like 2 things in it

it me

i got real lucky with one of my current projects when it comes to debugging. it's composed in a way that i can write throwaway scripts to reproduce internal bugs. then i can turn the script into a spec and run it through a debugger while i fix it

unsurprisingly, none of my other projects make it that easy

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

it sucks that webkit is literally the closest thing to a good, actually-cross-platform environment to write a cross-platform app in, but when it's the best we've got it shouldn't be shocking that people use it

especially considering the rise of mobile

p much this

html/css is far from perfect, but it's amazingly robust and can be shoehorned into a whole lot of use cases

for native cross-platform, my favorite is xamarin because i like c#, but even with that xaml is basically "xhtml but shittier"

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Shaggar posted:

maxpermsize is supposed to be ignored entirely so either the jdk has a bug that's using it or maybe check ur paths to make sure ur not running a different jvm.

you look like you know a lot about ignoring maxpermsize

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

floatman posted:

Tell them that they should get rid of all staging servers, push everything to production because what profit do you get from testing???

except i once had a manager make drat near that exact argument

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

the same manager suggested that scm was causing problems because it resulted in developers working on different copies of the codebase

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i'm working through this years AOC in various languages and right now I'm doing one in haskell.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I bet you'll have fun with day 8 in haskell

hey, this is fun. thx for bringing it up, first time i've seen it

i'm doing them in ruby cuz im a douchebag

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

leper khan posted:

it’s amazing how many of them make it to the top

it’s almost like promotions don’t have anything to do with competence

at my old job a few years back, our department needed a manager, and they promoted one of our developers specifically because he was the least useful guy on the team. like, one of the benefits of promoting him was reducing his coding responsibilities. an exec-level guy straight up admitted that poo poo to me

unsurprisingly, he wasn't effective as a manager either, and they eventually let him go. more than a few of my coworkers were constitutionally incapable of hiding their contempt for him

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Chalks posted:

typescript is a good call, never use javascript directly

typescript is good but angular is buttcheeks

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Falcorum posted:

If it's any comfort, it happens elsewhere and even with regular non C level coworkers being the source of that dumb poo poo.
I work at an AAA games company (yayyyyyyyy) and had a department lead (not my department) try to get higher ups to force me to work overtime (they just went uwot when asked), because we had been working on something for months and he kept going back and forth on what he wanted and suddenly we were a few days away from release. He only shut up and stopped with that crap when I told everyone involved that if I were to do overtime for that piece of poo poo of a person, I'd quit the next day.

I no longer work with that guy directly (HR got involved in the end and told him to gently caress off), but it sounds similar to your situation (demeaning work done; implying not pulling my own weight; etc).

People can be cunts and if it reaches a point where it's stressing you out, you're better off jumping ship if you can. You don't owe your employer anything more than the work you've already done.

that sounds like a lovely situation and im glad it also sounds like you were able to defend yourself appropriately

jfc as much as id like to work on a aaa game everything i hear from the industry makes it sound like it would drive me toward suicide

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

unless you're working contract and being paid for every hour or you get time in lieu, don't work OT

and even then, reconsider

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

loving christ i wish i could get something as well-defined as a NullPointerException in dynamically typed languages

the error always means your object's interface doesn't match what the receiver expected. just like statically typed languages. the only difference, with dynamic typing, you don't know it's a problem until runtime, and for some reason it's still supposed to be your fault

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Soricidus posted:

undefined.js, null.js, and ... uh ... ok i didn't think this joke through

- brendan eich, 1995

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

aardvaard posted:

i've written several static site generators because i was too lazy to learn how to do the thing i wanted to do properly and that's probably the reason that staticgen.com lists almost 250 god drat static site generators

never seen that site before. i'm...nonplussed

if i ever encounter someone who uses the term "jamstack" irl i might wake up in a jail cell with tooth chips in my knuckles

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Corla Plankun posted:

i could see that being a useful word in the game jam community like maybe a suite of tools that make it easy to jam the games, but i refuse to google what it actually means because im sure its just a bunch of webdev js bs

yeah, no need to google it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

imagine some 12-year-old who's "good with computers" (i.e., has a twitter) decides to learn programming. he spends six weeks studying online courses. 3 weeks on html/css, 2 weeks on javascript, and 1 week learning how to use jekyll. the entirety of his experience is writing pokemon fan pages that have never been hosted anywhere besides his own laptop. i mean good for him, and i hope he's having fun learning and all, but thanks to some conference promoter with an undiagnosed concussion, this kid gets invited to make a tedx talk about the future of web development, and he only has one hour to prepare. the presentation he would make is "jamstack"

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

my girlfriend and i got into a huge argument when i wanted to put a deep-fat fryer in the kitchen. i can't imagine the fights we might have had over poo poo that was actually important, like variable naming conventions

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Do you really deep fry that many things?

yes

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

like it's good when your framework exposes a controller class and you can inherit the controller class and use and it automatically knows how to do the things a controller should do.

it just quickly gets out of hand from there. i've found sticking to a single level of inheritance (almost always from an interface) in my own code has worked just fine for me. but if you're implementing an interface i'm not sure that really counts as inheritance.

the controller class is a good example. ime inheritance works better if it's shallow, even if it's wide; e.g., a handful of classes that directly extend a single superclass. if your inheritance tree is ten levels deep, it's probably fragile

interface implementation seems closer to composition than inheritance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Aramoro posted:

Why would you not have test coverage for something like that? I mean sure if you're a terrible programmer your usage of inheritance is going to suck, but then so is your composition. Someone breaking subtype B fixing a bug in Subtype A without even testing it is awful and will gently caress up your codebase no matter what you do.

Both pale in comparison to reflection in your ability to gently caress things up horribly but it's still got a place.

i don't wanna call anyone out because maybe what i inferred is not what they meant, but in a very general sense, some people seem to think type safety precludes testing, and HOLY poo poo are they wrong