Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
terrible programmer here 🙋‍♂️🐱‍👓

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
here is my db post: using nosql for cache is appropriate because a cache is supposed to lose data

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cjs: we still are unable to programmatically send file over sftp from php, i wish i was kidding

just execute sftp directly from your script and get owned later. it’s the php way.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Blinkz0rz posted:

we wrote a property management system that works really well and is a really great concept but is garbage cans full of burning trash under the hood

still proud of it tho

out of sight out of mind

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
cross posting, please help

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Does iOS support Wifi Direct AKA Wifi P2P?

i want to communicate with a gadget that uses Wifi Direct. i know ios supports it but how can i use the api??

MultipeerConnectivity only supports other apple devices AFAICT.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Finster Dexter posted:

did you google it? I found multiple results that discuss using wifi direct in iOS.

that’s only between ios devices using multipeerconnectivity framework :(

it can’t connect to my gadget.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1942/_index.html posted:

Important: The on-the-wire protocols used by this peer-to-peer networking are not documented for third-party use, so this technique only works between Apple devices.

gently caress you too timb

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Luigi Thirty posted:

typedef std::vector<Window *>::iterator WindowIterator;

Now I remember why nobody likes C++.

isn’t this literally the use case for auto?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what are member functions in rust?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
futures make me feel dumb. the theory is very simple but in practice the many layers of futures and closures make my brain freeze. the worst thing for me is trying to figure out how to deal with cancellation, failure, or early termination.

i can’t wait for async!/await!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what if i die before a friend comes back though?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

the talent deficit posted:

kotlin is pretty mediocre. platform types are really frustrating and it's adt/pattern matching support is disappointingly primitive

what's primitive about the pattern matching in kotlin? just curious

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i really hate that cargo doesn't have namespaces

loving :same:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
someone made a macro diagram generator for rust and it’s fing awesome

https://lukaslueg.github.io/macro_railroad_wasm_demo/

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i use vim because :s and :v are useful and i can't be bothered to learn replacements. also vi is everywhere

very good for editing text. totally rear end for writing code

and i think you will find that the hipsters have moved on to neovim, atom and vscode

vscode is normie as hell and that’s why it’s the best one out of these

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is the claim that kafka and dbs are isomorphic correct?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
when people capitalize Vanilla JS are they referring to a framework or a dialect of js?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
let’s talk about http/3. good luck with nat lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

akadajet posted:

sort your goddamn using statements!

no joke i saved hours by using this one weird trick

mixing std and 3rd party libs still feels weird tho

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
terrible architecture question: what's a good architecture for when you have an ever-changing database of tasks and a fleet of low spec (preferably no storage) task runners and you want the task runners to automatically acquire tasks and continuously report results? is there a name for such architecture?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

bus or queue?

expect someone to repost the “you don’t really want a queue do you” rant explainer

do buses or queues require the task runner to consume the published task? i want tasks to be available indefinitely but *access* to tasks to be exclusive to whichever runner acquired it (until the runner dies)

realistic example: i may have a task "download the frontpage and verify http 200 every hour" that should only be done by one runner. i don't want the runner to delete the task from the database, just acquire it. i also want the task to become available if the runner dies.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i was playing with metasploitable and how the gently caress is the e flag in php’s preg_replace a thing??!!!!!!

https://www.php.net/manual/en/reference.pcre.pattern.modifiers.php

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
but why? is it too difficult to wrap the results in eval if you want it to run?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

ctps:
code:
    private static class ShutUpLeaveMeAloneYoureNotMyRealDad extends PrintStream
    {
        ShutUpLeaveMeAloneYoureNotMyRealDad(PrintStream out)
        {
            super(out);
        }

@Override
        public void println(String x)
        {
            switch (x) {
            case "REMEMBER: The numbers below are just data. To gain reusable insights, you need to follow up on":
            case "why the numbers are the way they are. Use profilers (see -prof, -lprof), design factorial":
            case "experiments, perform baseline and negative tests that provide experimental control, make sure":
            case "the benchmarking environment is safe on JVM/OS/HW level, ask for reviews from the domain experts.":
            case "Do not assume the numbers tell you what you want them to tell.":
                break;
            default:
                super.println(x);
            }
        }
    }

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is it possible to create a WKWebView where everything is proxied through my code? e.g. make all loaded html pages ALL CAPS.

i know you can inject javascript after the fact but that won't work for my purposes.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i love wikihow!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i am using prolog (swi-prolog) in a toy project and so far it's really fun and magical :). tell about prolog variants/competitors.

so far i tried mercury but having no interpreter really kills it for me.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sapozhnik posted:

notifications-up-immutable-data-down is a decent design compared to that garbage at least.

is this the technical term?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

using jooq and kotlin makes little dynamic stuff like conditional where clauses super nice and clean

expression based langs ftw

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
notepad++ is better for log files i guess

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

NihilCredo posted:

gitignore.io is pretty good

notice the plaintext url after you generate a gitignore

you can just do e.g. 'curl -o .gitignore http://gitignore.io/api/linux,emacs,clojure,leiningen'

neat!

thanks

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
my mac is asking me to upgrade to catalina how hosed will my dev environment be if i do that?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what's the best way to represent objects in prolog (swi-prolog)? should i dehumanize and face to 100 parameters?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
distributed dogshit is an excellent framework name tbh

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

gonadic io posted:

although I'm walking a newbie at work through using rust's 0.1 futures and it is...not going very well. you have to be designing this thing exactly the way that rust wants you to up front otherwise you'll spend hours on it and the only find out at the very end that two types don't quite line up and all your time was wasted

async/await syntax landed on stable and my god it’s the equivalent relief of pissing a jug load after a ton of coffee.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

gonadic io posted:

it's an actor/message passing framework

it's not actually awful but it just hasn't been updated to use the cool new stuff yet so it feels pretty painful to be using it

good news! it has been updated to use the new stuff just recently

see this example:
https://github.com/actix/examples/blob/master/async_db/src/main.rs

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

gonadic io posted:

bad news: that is actix-web which no longer even uses actix. we're on actual factual actix.

soldier on pal :shobon:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'll try that. my guess is that the dbas "forgot" to run any maintenance again because that's usually the cause of "all search queries suddenly tank when nothing else was touched"

alright I'm not a dba so someone please explain to me why a human need to run maintenance manually? also what does maintenance do anyways? my understanding is that it removes deleted data and defrags the db file? is that correct? what else does it do?

also if it does defrag do you get a cool window a la win95?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

I like to think of myself as an artisan programmer, preserving the traditional culture of locally-sourced handcrafted OOP for posterity

we are confident unesco will list it as intangible cultural heritage soon

it's already there
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/395/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Krankenstyle posted:

excel loving sucks I hate it

same and i can't believe we don't have a better solution in 2020

microsoft please release excel 2