Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Another terrible programmer checking in. I'm so sick of JavaScript frameworks that I fantasise about embedded C programming (following SHOEGAZE's posts vicariously ITT) and everyone I've ever worked with professionally thinks TDD "isn't worth it" which seems to be code for "I don't understand it and don't intend to"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Lately I'm entering a curious new phase of terribleness where all my functions look bug free but nothing works. Not until debugging/linting do I see / remember that I once again have forgotten to write any return statements. 9 times out of 10 this is my only problem, it's been happening for about a week and my brain is of no help when I'm actually writing out the function. Logic done? Then I'm done, who cares about returning values, the fact that they were ever computed should be enough.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
JavaScript is much better than PHP this thread is insane.

JavaScript’s framework and module ecosystem is easily as bad if not worse though.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

DaTroof posted:

why would you even bother saying this

like you're trying to convince someone that drinking a glass of bile is better than drinking a glass of diarrhea

An accurate metaphor for my career path thus far, yes.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
I still keenly remember the presentation they showed us in first year Uni showing people with masters degrees make more than phds, and are less likely to be rejected for being overqualified.

Might have been local data only though idk it was 10 years ago.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
I like the space either side. The asterix can hang.

I also like my brackets:
code:

foo()
{
        if(bar) 
        {
                /* like this */
        } 
} 

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Jabor posted:

were they correcting for amount of industry experience, or was it essentially just saying "doing actual work for X years will get you more promotions than spending those X years on a phd"?

I think it was just industry full time averages per top qualification

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

VikingofRock posted:

Can we talk about the elephant in the room here? What possessed everyone to use

C++ code:
/* these comments */
instead of

C++ code:
// these comments
? C99 turns twenty next year...

I preferred the way they emphasised /* the text */
I mostly use // in the wild but it depends.

Sure adapt to your team, but what if you're coming in as the architect or tech lead?

Probably should spend the first day using IDE/lint/an extremely unsafe regex to rewrite all existing code in your bracket and spacing style then recommit the entire code base to establish dominance.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Terrible programmers rejoice

Now we can all be rockstar programmers

https://github.com/dylanbeattie/rockstar

code:
Tommy was a lovestruck ladykiller 
initialises Tommy with the value 100

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

born to script
type safety is a gently caress
eval em all 2018
i am js man
410, 757,864,530 ignored warnings

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

redleader posted:

terrible programmer question: why do people love ~the cloud~ so much?

Less poo poo to worry about and lower entry costs.

Lower operating costs over time if you do it "right" but it's easy to gently caress that part up.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Blinkz0rz posted:

disagree entirely

if you're running t2.micros yeah that's true but cloud networking and vm performance tuning is a very interesting and complicated thing

This is true in the datacentre as well (it's also all VM's in the end) but you also have to worry about hardware MTBFs, warranties, people patching the wrong loving cable, etc.

Edit: I agree the networking layer is a bit different but hrn I said less poo poo to worry about I meant hardware and physicality poo poo not networking and performance.

Chopstick Dystopia fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 30, 2018

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

i've posted this before but we once had a vendor say "it's not our problem take it up with Microsoft" when I pointed out that their "message corruption" issue was caused by taking utf8 xml, downcasting to some basic iso cahracterset then casting back to utf8 again in sequential stages

Take it up with Ken Thompson

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Yeah that's a good read thanks Bloody

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Fixing this database has turned me into the db janitor I came here to write software damnit

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
This thread has me on the rust train, half way through the book and the compiler errors are very friendly and legit helpful.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Bloody posted:

very good and great are both huge stretches imo. it's better than RLS but not by that much. it's just slightly less buggy, slightly less slow, and slightly more featured. it appears incapable of doing anything useful with the output of tools like clippy and idk if it's an intellij thing or a rust plug-in thing but its handling of compiler errors is basically useless

I've been using VS Code and just run cargo from the terminal. Often the syntax highlighting is a little slow but I spent years working on systems that were further apart than the earth's radius so I hardly notice it. I'd still it to be better ofc. I might give Intellij a try.

Is clippy any good though? I haven't used it because, you know, clippy.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

born to script
type safety is a gently caress
eval em all 2018
i am js man
410, 757,864,530 ignored warnings

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
What's happening with Jonathan's Blowlang?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Vanilla JS is fine if you don't have to deal with anyone else's code.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
just catching up on the thread and

gonadic io posted:

haskell's standard string is a linked list
what the gently caress

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Xarn posted:

Because 1 hour is inside the 95% percentile SLA and 2 hours aren't. Have you ever written anything that had actual perf. requirements, or is everything you ever wrote a CRUD app?

Hey now! My CRUD apps have perf requirements. If their lambdas go over 5 minutes runtime they terminate, who knows what's gonna drop. (loving soil temperature readings or something I think)

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

its like half an hour now lol

lol :smith:

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Been meaning to post this for a bit now:

gonadic io posted:

Only thing about rust is you have to use intellij. No other IDE is nearly as good.

gonadic io posted:

i mean it's fine but it's also not obvious to beginners that that's what you need to do

Hello from 3 months ago and thank you! I tried out IntelliJ IDEA for Rust when you mentioned it back in September and you were absolutely right.

Object/method scanning and suggestions are so much faster and more complete, git integration is equally easy, theming ecosystem is not quite there but the other stuff more than makes up for it.

Now that I'm writing stuff large enough to actually rub up against the borrow checker it's saving me a lot of time by highlighting my trivial mistakes so quickly. I've gone ahead and also switched over to PyCharm for my production python work and regret nothing.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Accurate representation of me tweaking a regex until it works.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
I would rather people write unnecessary tests and test the language bullshit than at a previous job, where they wrote zero tests and regularly deployed poo poo that straight up didn't work.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

this will be the third person offshore I feel like I've ended up "training" to not write total garbage.

Farkin hell this makes me relieved our lovely PM won't let me look at our offshore vendors code.

They can't figure out how to send a PATCH to a REST endpoint lol

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Bloody posted:

rust is the most important language in the world right now

this but unironically

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

gonadic io posted:

time
will gently caress me

Bloody posted:

it will gently caress you

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
It's worth pointing out as well that things weren't less poo poo in the past they were just poo poo in different ways. That poo poo gets fixed and new poo poo gets created or old poo poo that was less obvious becomes more apparent because the poo poo that was obscuring it is gone.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Fiedler posted:

sql server has alarmingly few restrictions on object names. dots are allowed in object names. brackets are allowed in object names. you can have a column literally named "[dbo].[table1].[column1]":
create table dbo.table1 ([[dbo]].[table1]].[column1]]] int)

which naturally you would query like so:
select [dbo].[table1].[[dbo]].[table1]].[column1]]] from dbo.table1

this is violence

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
why are we using node and mongo we're not even a javascript house but I still get to debug js plugin issues gently caress

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
c tp s: spending my sunday arvo untangling dependency conflicts for another team's repo because I made a suggestion and they couldn't figure out how to make it work ont heir own

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
they probably could but were smart enough to realise they could get me to do this

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
lol thanks for the support

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Yeah I got a hearty thanks from the guy I was helping and found some scalability issues we're going to run into at +10% of current usage of a thingo.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

eschaton posted:

automatically email link to web page that auto-downloads the report

then track when/whether it’s ever clicked

"If you can include the link why can't you just include the report. Keep It Simple Stupid! Make it frictionless! Make it dickhead-proof!"

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

"Make it dickhead-proof!"

The guy who used to say this was a huge dickhead so I guess it was just shorthand for "If I gently caress this up it's your fault"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
I'm getting better at querying mongo and I hate it.