Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is there a way to auto format comments in jetbrains ides? in java files they support autoformatting when it's a javadoc comment, but not when it's a standard block or line comment. I've looked around and not found anything for it, which is super frustrating because the code to do it is obviously there

the main thing that drives me nuts is that i have to hand-janitor mutli-line comments if i ever edit them and change the comment to need more or fewer lines of text. the javadoc formatter does nice line re-wrapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

JawnV6 (or anyone else): recommendations on where to get started learning assembly? it's about time.

don't say reading luigi's posts

you could look into a textbook or one of those open online classes for an undergrad level "computer organization" course. this is the class where you learn assembly and how the processor, uh, processes it

after you learn assembly you can learn how to write a compiler :getin:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

i learmed mips assembly for my compilers class and it was a pretty easy way to get my toes what with an assembly language. i have no loving clue how well that translates to the x86 shibboleth because ive never tried to gently caress with that poo poo.

i did too. if one's goal is to learn the general theory and practice of how native code is executed on hardware, I'd definitely suggest going with an easy to learn architecture like MIPS

Peeny Cheez posted:

Why tho? It's one of those things that you never do unless it's absolutely necessary or you're Codier Than Thou.
(Keep in mind I'm a lazy bitch and the last time I ever did it was a FizzBuzz for a company that I figured wasn't going to hire me that I wanted to annoy)

knowing about computer organization and assembly language isn't 100% a prerequisite for being a good programmer, but it's something that can help in several areas. understanding how your algorithms and data structures will exist and run on hardware is helpful in debugging, especially when you're trying to diagnose or improve performance problems. it can also be helpful when you are having problems on one type of hardware but not another

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

nah just download the SPIM simulator to start with. it uses regular old mips32. it also lets you monitor system values, inspect memory, and other fun stuff. you won't be making video games with it but it's useful for learning the basics

http://spimsimulator.sourceforge.net/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

does the "open" part of risc-v even matter really? like wouldn't you still be dealing with patents and crap for other parts of the chip design/manufacturing, and also if you wanted to include any other useful hardware in a device

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i do realize that im setting myself up for a big disappointment when i realize that everyone is doing garbage programming. but there must be fields that are better than webdev

if you haven't considered it, a lot of schools have weekend programs if you ever want to get/finish a degree. this can potentially take a long amount of time (part time bachelor degree starting from scratch can sometimes go up to 8-10 years). but it also allows you to learn while not living off of savings, and having structured projects that you look forward to doing might soothe some of the frustration of "im writing boring business app #78 and it's the third app in a row I've had to use my least favorite tech stack". when i was doing undergrad full time almost everyone in the weekend program was already working in a dev/db/qa type position

it's an option, at least :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

redleader posted:

you see, composability is like lego

i mean...it is though, right? i always took "composable" to mean "you can easily mash it together with other things in order to get different effects"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

no ides allowed

yeesh what is the reasoning behind this? my cs dept was all for regular text editors but that was because they were all old hacker types. if one of us had busted out our sick nasty laptop with an ide they'da been all "oh nice now get back to work"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

question and answer in one easy package

......what?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

prof is an old hacker type

yeah, no

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I have an actual product idea but it would be subscription based and I'd want to HQ in Milwaukee instead of the stupid sf bay so it's doomed from the start probably.

make the HQ in MSP and i will work for you. and/or i will be an unpaid hype-man because i do not have actual job experience touching codes

i suggest this because wisconsin is still a bit :chloe: atm

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lol at suggesting i voluntarily become a snowback

the term is frostback how dare you use such an ugly slur

p.s. also it refers to canadians

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

so there is actually a town here called "little canada"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bloody posted:

is there a term for shoehorning systems into the same interface even if it doesnt make any sense

other than square peg, round hole

shoehorning :v:

also: pigeonholing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

they look like Americanized macarons

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

no like marketing has a bunch of word and pdf files in different version how do you keep track of them in a way that's not terrible?

you could pay for something like the enterprise version of crashplan. dunno if products like that have access controls and stuff built in, but i know they can give you nice versioned backups, incremental backups, deduplication, etc

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

move to belize via canoe

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

toiletbrush posted:

It's interesting how you can break down each instruction 'family' like MOV and figure out what registers it's dealing with just from looking at the opcode

"opcodes let you know what the instruction does"...is that what you're saying here? big if true

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my new dog posted:

my academic license for github expired and now microsoft is holding my codes ransom

i use bit bucket for personal projects because of this im cheap

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone called it "butt bucket" yet?

brb gonna go push some code into the bucket

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

prisoner of waffles posted:

Composable IButtStuff ITT

Compostable

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i will forever think it's funny that a database is named after franz kafka

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Shaggar posted:

so it seems like if its not identifiable or if the recipient considers it a public message since it was unsolicited then maybe u could get away w/ it.

what we need here is a supreme court class action case wehre the justices have to rule on which dicks in question are unique enough to be "identifiable"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

wales is actually a country tho lol

but i can confirm, i run into that stuff all the time due to driving a lot for my job. every maps api is bad and has lots of errors all over it. there are several sites i drive to where i have to pin a location on the street next to the site, because every maps app refuses to acknowledge the actual addresses for it, or the app's coordinates for the address are wrong

there was also the six month period a few years back when google maps wouldn't show any transit correctly in a six block radius around my house. it would only show the last bus/train of the night at like 3am

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sagacity posted:

"Ooh, we had such a lovely honeymoon on {C65C4E6B-7D7A-4F38-8305-0D4C90776202}"

mongolia actually did this for their postal system

https://qz.com/705273/mongolia-is-changing-all-its-addresses-to-three-word-phrases/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

brand engager posted:

This android thing we develop for at work has a bunch of classes split into a view, presenter and an interface class connecting them. Also a bunch of @Inject all over from some dependency injection library/framework. Not a big fan of it because it makes following the actual control flow weird and time consuming

brand engager posted:

oh also none of those interfaces have more than one concrete implementation, since each one only gets used between the closely-related view and presenter classes. All the code uses the abstract interface type to call with though for whatever reason

is this the first time you've encountered an inversion-of-control MVC framework? i had a similar reaction when i first tried to learn android but it makes more sense the more you read about how apps work in android. either way it's how the android API is structured so you will pretty much have to learn to live with it

the dependency injection stuff, it depends on a number of factors whether it is good or not (i don't have a lot of experience with this). there are a lot of valid reasons for an android app to use one but again it depends on the specifics

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it sounds like you still have a qa person tho lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Soricidus posted:

turns out caches don't work if you use different keys for reads and stores, which we managed to do without noticing because the read and store use the same variable ... except it's a mutable variable that gets mutated in between

this is :discourse:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

galenanorth posted:

If I can't find anything, I could launch my business anyway even though I can't get a Home Occupation License and see if I can make enough money to move out

are you able to get a PO Box or a coworking space?

also did u try "well im technically doing all the business online, so" :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i feel like i know juuust enough about the pitfalls of relational databases that the idea of an ORM makes me do the :chloe: face. i would be constantly checking the SQL output of the ORM if i used one, so uh at that point is there even any benefit?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

idk i feel like "make code less crap" is a pretty dece skill

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I ran an epoll and it came back 99% ron Paul

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Aramoro posted:

hot deploying

ah, the ole toilet-to-post pipeline

you're granny flushin', not double handle-jigglin' like you should be

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HoboMan posted:

in retrospect i wish i had done GET /flask rather than just GET /

you cannot get ye flask

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the one DI thing i think is really funny is some of the early DI systems for Android apps set up all of their stuff at runtime. i don't remember the names of them but they were used pretty widely, including in some high-profile apps. the reason this is funny is that these systems became popular during the time that Android apps still used the OG virtual machine system (Dalvik) which itself had a lot of app-startup processing to do every time you launched an app. so you have a slow-rear end app startup system that was designed to work on the most Flintstones of hardware, coupled with the runtime startup shenanigans of the DI system, and Bob's your uncle

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

just convert it to a string op, then cast it at point of use

edit: actually convert it to aliteral string. like
{numberofButts:123}

becomes:

{numberofButts: "one hundred and twenty three"}

then its way more readable!

you have an important ally in your corner

https://twitter.com/CountVonCount

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-English-based_programming_languages

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

applescript and hypercard were magical when i was a kid who had never heard the word "programming". im sure all the stuff i built was tiny and trivial but it was a pretty neat feeling to make a computer do a thing for the first time

i also tried hacking my games with ResEdit to change the graphics and stuff but this usually ended with me mangling something beyond my ability to repair it lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not usually one to make fun but

isn't this guy the one who casually admitted to farming his job out to a team of cutrate Brazilian programmers without telling his employer? did he really think he could run that con on Amazon?

i think ratbert was the embedded programmer who finally quit their abusive below-market-rate job a few months back and then their former employer basically went into crisis because ratbert was the only programmer they had left at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mystes posted:

It set the precedent that APIs are copyrightable. This may not mean there's always going to be infringement but it's a really bad precedent.

i wonder if there is a scenario where oracle wins but the ruling also effectively enshrines the LGPL license as enforceable. stallman's brain would explode