Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

gonadic io posted:

i'm going to work on the principle that despite it being agreed on in a meeting, nobody is going to do poo poo and i can just ignore it

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

the architecture confluent wants you to adopt is more-or-less put all your binlogs in the cloud. then all you have to do is recover and tada fully functional whatever. no its not insane, we promise! only the latest version of each row is retained

interesting as something that could possibly work given unlimited money

our entire DE team spent a year implementing this for our insanely small and traditional data flow. it never launched and all the DEs quit when they found out they would have to do boring database stuff. our case study is still on confluent's page saying we run it in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

mystes posted:

Your Data Engineers quit when they realized they would have to deign to use a traditional database as opposed to awesome BIG DATA technologies?

Does having SQL on your resume ruin your data engineer career for life?

i think it was just that the SQL had users and required maintenance and the kafka was just prototyping connectors in scala or something with no need to deliver anything. the first guy to quit was the only one who was doing the SQL, and it caused a chain reaction

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
i think rstudio is pretty bad. everyone uses it because the next best thing is a vim or emacs plugin. it's some kind of desktop webapp but also tied to the R session, so when you have to hard kill R the whole IDE resets. a jetbrains plugin that worked would be nice.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
python is fine for studying data structures and algorithms for interviews, since you can fake pointers with object names.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

epic thissery, it’s easier to learn and sticks better if the things being learned are a means to an end (plus occasional guidance to avoid falling into bad habits)

i generally agree but op said they'd already done a bootcamp and are now reading the skiena algorithms book, presumably so they can traverse binary trees on a whiteboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

12 rats tied together posted:

the best kanban workflows ive been a member of have had a "rejected" (or "needs info", if people get mad at the word "rejected") column that you move tickets into that can't be started yet, because they are insufficiently described

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ooh stealing that idea

stole this idea today and manager immediately decided to adopt it so
:tipshat: