Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tef posted:

people don't buy jira to do bug tracking or project management

these people absolutely exist and i have had the fortune of working with them at several different companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what the heck is duckdb

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

columnar sqlite (well, inspirationally)

the heck does that mean

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have logging questions

okay so msbuild can make these great binary logs that are just maximum verbosity, small, and super fast. their catch is you gotta use an application to view them (e.g. https://msbuildlog.com/).

how does all of this work? i want this. is this what structured logging is? is there just, like, an nlog target to use and be done? i want compact, high-performant, high-detail logs, even if i have to subsequently write a companion app to view them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this is also in the gongshow world of traditional desktop applications that are often run offline or in restricted networks, so logging to some sort of file is more or less mandatory. looks like sqlite is a sink option though, a perfect blend of recent topics itc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it’s not cosmic rays

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

although if there was ever a week to blame em this was a good un, big space weather event recently

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

anyone got good reading material for coming up with properties for property-based tests, or blogposts on the topic

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

makes me lose my dang mind when an engineering team writes its own processes and then doesn’t follow them. just write what you do!! who are you trying to impress with all of this poo poo you write and not one person has ever done!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

zstd balls

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah the desktop development world at large is just depressing. broadly treated first as though it doesn’t exist and second just with absolute garbage

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like I saw a developer survey thing that listed 20 different kinds of developer and no flavor of “desktop” was present

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mystes posted:

They can be hard to escape

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

Even better now because you have optional chaining so you just replace butt.fart with butt?.fart and you're done and JavaScript never has errors.

fuckitjs is 11 years old, errors have been optional for a long time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

any .net peeps have opinions on nuke

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gnatalie posted:

if you're talking about the cms... some coworkers have to manage an app using an older version and hate it all.

the successor project is written in angular + netcore

nope the build system thingy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a base class and inheritance?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is it just me or does nunit fuckin suck. whats the point of a gigantic xml results report when there are literally no libraries and essentially no tools that can read it, including the nunit framework itself

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah I’ve seen labview in production where it could kill dozens of people and it was considered just fine. lmao. maintained by one guy who had one hundred other responsibilities too

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

matplotlib api is honestly unforgivable

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

distortion park posted:

That's ggplot I think which is part of matplotlib (?)

ggplot2 is part of R and it is in fact the best part of R

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

champagne posting posted:

wasn't it made in a way that resembled how either R or Matlab plots thing in an effort to bring people over? Or am I grossly misremembering.

yeah it was at least made to feel matlab esque which is of course a terrible idea

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i like that almost all of those are just matplotlib wrappers lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i havent looked in a while but 5 years ago the only options in the entire .net ecosystem were: COM to excel for charting (lmao); an enterprise charting alternative (lol); roll your own

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just wild to me how such a kinda foundational need of "take data, produce image" is so difficult in so many ecosystems

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DoctorTristan posted:

im going to come out and say it - i actually kinda miss working with matlab c. 2006 when everything was an array of either doubles or char and you just had to know the names of the hundreds of different builtin functions

then they started adding abominable things like classes and everything started going downhill

object oriented matlab is an absolute abomination I agree

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes and do we neee any of them? no.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the fewer googler looking for a promotion projects land in the mainstream the better

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

micro services are dynamic linking over http

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I like how

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a major problem with python is that the people writing lots of python have little to no interest in writing software, much less usable / maintainable / deployable / anythingable software. works on my machine is just fine for a grad student

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

“a major problem” is the wrong tone. a simple reality of? perhaps?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eve being python rules because it makes it extremely easy to reverse engineer and programmatically manipulate

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I like c#

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rust is cool too but it is unfortunately the wrong tool for most everything I do these days

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

string.Concat("hey yospos check out my dot net its a bummer that the built-in random is kind of annoying".Select(c => new Random(Guid.NewGuid().GetHashCode()).NextDouble() >= 0.5 ? char.ToUpper(c) : char.ToLower(c)))

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

cause Path.GetRandomFile() uses a cryptographically secure random number generator

lol til

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

doesn’t exist in framework wontfix

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mystes posted:

why are you using framework in 2023?

migrating is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody