Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my favorite solution to the master/slave fight is redis's where they kept the words but added a note in the docs to remind people that slavery is bad

e: https://redis.io/commands/slaveof

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

AggressivelyStupid posted:

love too open up a console window for one of our products, type butt.user.AuthGroup = "Admin";

and have it work :suicide:

I inherited a project like this. in ours you could also go to 'forget password', type in an email, and the server would send back the entire user record in an ajax call (to display whether the email was valid) which would include the hashed password and reset token.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
on the react website its like "don't use this unless you need it, and even then only use it where it's needed." on the redux website it says "you sure as gently caress don't need this.... but just in case here you go".
and now web developers have made it so\ redux is the de facto way to make, like, the page transition when you click a link lol

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
react and redux are better than the competition by a mile, but there's no excuse for rushing to make everything js.

this project I just joined you would think was just static html (from the behavior) but its react and redux all the way down. I swear its taken 10x as long to develop because of that. and you don't realize its a SPA until you notice that all the data is cached for some reason, so you need to reload the app to see new data. and navigation breaks if you do anything the devs didn't expect, like open a link in a new tab or refresh certain routes. also this is a consumer-facing app lol

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the original design was supposed to be 'event sourcing' with a message queue but any concept of what that is or how it operates was abandoned to just use the queue as a lovely distributed database.

this is almost certainly where my company is going. we're in the planning stages to gently caress up like this

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
thesis: react
antithesis: hugo
synthesis: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only thing node should be used for is running things to unfuck js like prettier, eslint, and typescript

nothing that runs on a server or installed to run on browser

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
perl6 is the gamesmasteranthony of languages

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can’t wait until I can just write blazor components.

my .net company decided to go full react/redux without seemingly anyone else ever learning it in the slightest so blazor would be a good way to burn it down and start over

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what are some things I can do if my work project is not technically interesting in any way but I want to add bullet points to my resume? for the purposes of this question assume it’s got worst-case-scenario coding for a react SPA and .net webapi backend

there are some dogshit slow pages I can make faster on the backend (bad EF n+1 queries) and front end (unnecessary React stuff), so there’s “improved page load speed for users by XX% on ___ page”.

I’ve already led more subjective efforts since I joined the team like separating out presentation from logic in components, reusing components instead of copy pasting markup every time, putting in a semblance of CSS patterns and other stuff, but stuff with numbers seems like it’d be more impressive

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
can I use ‘deleted X-hundred lines of lovely code’?

e oops meant to post in the interview thread but this works too I guess

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 8, 2019

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DELETE CASCADE posted:

have you tried applying unnecessary technologies that don't actually meet the business needs any better than a simple solution would have?

that’s what the project already is. we use react and redux to render a basically static page. others are working on replacing the backend with microservices that talk to each other with a central queue. someone else is “researching” adding graphql layer. at this point i think I’d need to invent new forms of wankery to get in on the action

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
as a person who knows nothing about c# but I have to use it for my job all the time, i make my webapi controller actions into async methods that return tasks and call await butt.peepeeAsync() in them. I don't do airplane related calculations in these async method though. I hope this is helpful and this response finds you well

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
just saw a typo of dotnet on a jira ticket, “dontnet” and it made me picture Bizarro Shaggar

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
he thinks blazor is great because it’ll transition c# “developers” to the frontend

e: ef is awful because you should just query Mongo directly

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 3, 2019

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
modal is for when conceptually the user should be unable to do anything else in the app until the modal is exited. I’m assuming you’re on the web. if you’re stacking modals I’d suggest implementing a window manager instead so users can minimize and move the window(s) as needed.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
we just had our architect copy and paste a random blog post* about RESTfulness into our confluence and announce 'start doing this now'

becoming standards document #9801293 that has no relation to our codebase whatsoever and probably never will lol

*it had to the gall to quote roy fielding's dissertation just for a random pull quote about 'URL == resource' yet the rest of the article ignores any important parts of rest and just talks about underscores vs hyphens and poo poo

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

why is redux bad? a guy at work is really pushing it at work but i never used it

ignore this guy. react come OOTB with useReducer & a finalized context api now so just use those. time travel debugging isnt really that cool and it's the sole unique benefit of redux AFAICT (other than being the most FP flux implementation for whatever that's worth).

e: im contradicting earlier posts ive made itt i think because im smarter now and Sapozhnik was right all along

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adhemar posted:

This thread has devolved into an elaborate advertisement for NoSQL database systems.

yea not being surprised by the optimizer in prod is nice. in some cases consistent but bad perf is better than inconsistent but sometimes good perf.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nomnom Cookie posted:

good weeks where stuff isn't constantly on fire.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
amazon just publicized some previously-internal how-to-build distributed systems guides for any of yall interested in that kinda stuff:

https://aws.amazon.com/builders-library/?cards-body.sort-by=item.additionalFields.customSort&cards-body.sort-order=asc