Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nvm then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i can't imagine what the code behind magic the gathering would be like. some of the cards are wildly specific like "gain 1 land if one of your other creatures is wearing a hat", and then suddenly the devs have to add a "has_hat" check on every card dating back 30 years

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

oh cool well in that case i am the terrible programmer

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

doesn’t take into account hemispheres tho

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Plorkyeran posted:

i don't think i've ever seen an architectural diagram which was actually intended to convey information and not just convey the feeling of information, but i am willing to believe that they exist

any time any kind of documentation breaks out a flow chart to try and explain how it works, my brain immediately shuts off and refuses to parse it at all. i don't know what kind of brain they are meant for but it aint mine

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i am only 11 months into my current job and in that time i've only had jr devs to work with and let me tell you, tiresome doesn't begin to describe it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it would be cool if they asked things more often lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

to be clear i am not ragging on jr devs as people. those i work with are generally good people, easy to get along with, eager to learn, fun to hang with after work and go for drinks. doesn't mean that working with them can't be tiring. the kind of stuff i am talking about is cargo culting poo poo from stack overflow, submitting a PR to fix a bug that carelessly introduces 2 more, or a general lack of debugging skills in general, straight up ignoring details in the task description. granted some of those are things that do come with experience and are harder to teach, but a lot of what i deal with could be avoided by simply asking more questions beforehand. one thing i see a lot is that in order to fix a bug, they will apply a band aid solution to the symptom instead of trying to discover the actual source of the issue. it is tiring

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rotor posted:

i am so tired of having to explain basic poo poo like "how to set environment variables" to people

or how to follow the most basic stack trace to figure out why something isn't working

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

redleader posted:

i like trying to debug js that's been through a build step and uses async

use source maps

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Doom Mathematic posted:

Even better now because you have optional chaining so you just replace butt.fart with butt?.fart and you're done and JavaScript never has errors.

this is the way

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

pokeyman posted:

if you think about it, = is the ultimate "I really really mean it" equality operator
:hmmyes:
just make it happen, don't ask questions

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the worst thing about sql is the insert statement. update gets it right: update tbl set col1 = val1, col2 = val2, ...

can you insert into tbl col1 = val1, col2 = val2? something i could maybe indent properly? gently caress no, insert into tbl (a, bunch, of, col, names, here) wait, which, one, am, i, on

just use an orm, simple

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jabor posted:

it looks like it's an array, op

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

mystes posted:

if you're trying to print it for debugging wouldn't you want stringify not parse?

yeah you want JSON.stringify(thing)

assuming thing is an array, thing.prototype.toString will just output every item as a comma separated string

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

CPColin posted:

Promised but she still awaiting

lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

what even is it trying to do with the empty curly braces? that ain't no valid pattern that I am aware of

fake edit: oh it is literally converting {} to a string which in javascript is "[object Object]" and then it is testing against the regex pattern "/[object Object]/", so it's always true if the string you are testing contains an o, b, j, e, c, t, O, or space. lol

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

images don’t zoom for me reliably either. have to do the firm tap just so