Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
Please tell me I can't be the only one who have a major problem with Rust and the whole crates-for-everything method.

It seems a lot of people are totally fine with building even the smallest utilities in Rust and having it pull down 100+ crates to function, where it's giving me anxiety just thinking about all the things that could go wrong. I like the idea of the borrow checker and all that, but being reliant on so many third party maintainers is really putting out whatever joy I might get from it.

I also feel in general it's almost impossible to have a conversation about the shittier sides of Rust without the hypesquad knocking your door down because you have insulted the Holy Church of Rust.

All the core security features being baked right in from the start is more or less useless if even the smallest functions is dependent on so many external actors' work and intention to do good.

Using cargo feels a lot like using npm and gently caress me if I trust any of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
I can proudly say I have never written a single line of D in my life.

D for deez nuts lmao

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
I’m not against building upon other people’s code, I do it all the time and I’m sorry if my initial post gave that impression.

I know this might be somewhat of a niche, but I’m currently around 95% percent done with my iOS app written in Swift and have my external dependencies at a solid zero. Although I of course heavily rely on the internal libraries Apple includes with Xcode.

Make no mistake - I don’t have blind faith in Apple, but I’m not as worried for those dependencies breaking since I only have to monitor one big entity and not 100+ small ones.

I do think the point from tef about Rust being used for building components is very valid. I could definitely see myself write some performance critical library in Rust rather than C when Swift’s ARC is not cutting it though.

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
How is C# with jupyter notebooks these days?

I hosed around with dotnet interactive at some point, but haven’t really kept up with it tbh.

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
Nice, I only used it for a little bit years ago but had trouble with the kernel dying almost constantly.

Might have a look at it again, could be very relevant at my current work actually.

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

Armitag3 posted:

look we’re not trying to git blame anyone, we’re just trying to git past this so we can git on with it

git good you scrubs

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

sb hermit posted:

https://www.theregister.com/2023/02/10/googles_go_programming_language_telemetry_debate/

Google's gonna put opt-out telemetry in the go toolchain. Which means that you need to take extra steps in order to prevent the go tools from reporting your sins.

So Google is always gonna Google, I guess…

Speaking of Angular, I’ve had the displeasure of updating and building upon a project not properly maintained and just feature updated ad-hoc in the last 4 years. I never knew just how much Angular would suck until very recently lol

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
Isn’t Golang just Googles attempt at eating into the C# market?

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

not dead yet posted:

just had a IT wide meeting where management told us they dont take responsibility for anything thats bad, but will let developers come up with solutions. Developers, of course, have to convince management for time to implement these. How is left up as an exercise to the reader.

also the cto said that changing code on live is really good actually because that means you can be really fast in fixing things

also its not a problem that every release is followed by live patching the servers. this is normal development

:thumbsup:

Holy gently caress, sounds like my old job, which I thankfully hosed right out off when offered an exit.

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

This is some next level poo poo :discourse:

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
I’ll just leave this here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

tef posted:

you just bought 1.000 litres of milk