Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Stable like angular, which is 8 years old and at its 7th non backwards compatible release
"oh no, I need to tweak a few imports" vs "here's version 5 of the react router, which is completely different but we finally nailed it you guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Lemmachine stands out from the dynamically typed Webmachine by being written in dependently typed Agda. The goal of the project is to show the advantages gained from compositional testing by taking advantage of proofs being inherently compositional. See proofs for examples of universally quantified proofs (tests over all possible input values) written against the default resource, which does not override any hooks.
well, at least it's stable since 2010

written in a language that compiles to haskell though, i'm sure it has no visible side-effects

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
i never said it was good, just stable

nothing related to javascript can ever be good, sorry if this wasn't clear!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

query builders/sql metaprogramming tools are usually p dang handy on the application side though. SQLAlchemy, jOOQ, that sort of thing.
can confirm jOOQ is the poo poo
can confirm (N)Hibernate is poo poo

with hibernate you need to be so careful designing your entities that your domain model usually has to change in order to fit the orm than the other way around. and if you need multiple lazy loading/fetching settings depending on the query then good luck with that. just add more annotations you better not gently caress up

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Aramoro posted:

The the decade or so we've been using Hibernate we've never had an issue related to how Hibernate generates querys. The closest we've had to a bug was when SQL Server wasn't query caching the parameterised queries correctly. But that turned out to be a config/JDBC driver problem.
well let me just say you are clearly in the wrong thread, sir!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
is anyone really using odata outside microsoft (and companies that drank microsoft's koolaid)? asking for a friend

i recently spent some time odata'ing because i needed to connect to the azure graph api and it was okay, i guess. being able to specify which fields to include is nice, but there are all sorts of bizarre restrictions on which nested relationships you can follow and which ones you can't etc

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
three years ago: it is _imperative_ that this feature is added because otherwise the customer will _not_ sign their _very large contract_

(read receipt requested, red exclamation point added to e-mail)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
spoken like someone who clearly never tried parcel!

joking of course, webdev is terrible (in before shaggar: this includes blazor)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
or the things you're writing the utility function for aren't *that* full of commonalities after all so the function ends up with 9 parameters, some of them mutually exclusive

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Chalks posted:

[something in webdev] is a garbage implementation of a good idea

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

necrotic posted:

lol i thought they fixed that after the last fiasco with left pad.
what makes you think web developers learn from past mistakes (either in their own field or in other parts of development (or indeed anywhere))

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

theyre building an angular frontend for my python thing ive been moaning about earlier itt, good/bad?

also, a node_modules thing showed up in .gitignore, thats bad for sure
finally! you are now ready to enter the world of MODERN development using javascript instead of a bloated enterprise language like python

you will see that from now on your build pipeline will be very robust and fast, as well

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Intellij is great with it though
that rust plugin is still failing to resolve types though. if you open up something like the wgpu example it will flat-out link "cgmath::Point3::new" to some other unrelated type.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
at least it will be fearless zero-cost stupidity

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
there's rsocket

regarding blazor, there has always been gwt but that has now been replaced by j2cl I suppose

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
it's an inconvenient truth

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
it's good to see that even if people don't understand the use case or even its most basic requirements they won't hesitate to suggest solutions that may or may not address the problem

developers.txt

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

how did computers and the programming of them become so amazingly poo poo anyway
to be fair, computers nowadays are doing slightly more than the computers of 70 years ago

although i'd hoped we'd use all that increased computing power to do more than create electron-based menu bar apps

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
all this talk reminds me of the junior frontend dev at my previous company

he had done so much reading about how Real Programmers Use Vim so that's what he was determined to use too

while the rest of us were happily using intellij (even for those of us doing frontend dev, it owns for that) he was spending his days configuring his editor

and then when he wanted to show some bug in his code he'd spend at least 15 seconds trying to open the relevant file, scrolling to the right line, splitting his vim window the wrong way, having to re-enable syntax highlighting, etc etc. the sounds coming off his keyboard sounded like a chernobyl dosimeter

and yet, AND YET, he seemed to think this was A Cool Way of doing dev

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
what are people still using wince for? (genuine question)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

but the guys who wrote the original software still wanted WinCE for their own stuff even though these little linux devices were outperforming it in every way.
right, that seems to be wince.txt

i'm surprised that the people who developed it managed to make an abstraction that actually properly abstracts though :)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
also using kotlin and spring boot. works absolutely fine. upcoming spring 5.2 and spring boot 2.2 will have even more kotlin support so you can start using coroutines in your rest controllers, data classes for your configuration properties, etc

all in all very needs-suiting

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
why use Java for your application code then? kotlin isn't as bad as Scala in that regard

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

eschaton posted:

McCartney and Lennon
ftfy

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
gradle always feels like it's on the edge of becoming usable but somehow never is

for instance, they never supported importing maven boms until recently but then immediately introduced 4 subtly different ways of specifying a version override

they now also use kotlin scripts which is cool and gives you autocomplete but kinda is not completely supported by all tooling

meanwhile maven just uses xml which already has autocomplete and ide support for years

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
well the kotlin stuff at least gives you decent autocomplete

why anyone ever thought using groovy was a good idea for gradle is beyond me

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
this discussion is not very guid

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

I also wanted to mention wrt server side blazor, the user experience is incredible. its insanely fast.
i'm sure you ran this with more than 1 user and not just on your own laptop

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

This is true, but I foresee the native compilation to be the big draw instead of the polyglot JIT support.
I'm not sure. Sure, your app starts faster but since it can't do any hotspot optimizations it'll actually run worse than a JIT. maybe useful for cloud functions or command-line tools but idk

polyglot is actually quite interesting. being able to call out from java to, say, some nodejs monstrosity with that call having essentially zero overhead (it's 'just a method call' that happens to go to bytecode that was compiled from javascript) is pretty cool and potentially very useful

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Deffon posted:

Reflection normally requires metadata about classes to be accessible at runtime. GraalVM wants to avoid that as much as possible, because it's a slippery slope to require all compiled code to bundle Java specific metadata for a supposed polyglot VM.
This isn't that uncommon though. Similar to what you'd do with RTTI in C++ GraalVM also allows you to store select metadata for Java classes that require it.

In fact, you can run your application and have it write all reflective accesses to a file so you don't need to manually annotate All The Classes.

I'm not saying this is always desirable, but there's no reason Spring Boot couldn't gradually move away from annotation scanning and move towards a compile-time metadata approach. In fact, Spring Framework 5.3 will move in that direction with support for pluggable annotation metadata providers.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
mr. EATING BREAD was right

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Deffon posted:

I didn't find anything about Spring Framework 5.3
This was mentioned in the Spring IO Barcelona keynote, I suppose that's also up on YouTube somewhere by now

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

moving to compile time would be a major engineering effort for spring and major porting effort for spring users. and then why not switch to quarkus
this doesn't necessarily involve a huge porting effort for users, though? there's no reason people couldn't keep using their @Bean and @Transactional annotations except they're now generating the DI and proxies at compile-time. even micronaut has a "spring compatibility" poc where you can use the Spring annotations.

also lol if you think the only reason people are using spring over quarkus is because of the DI and proxy stuff

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

pro tip: hide shameful fixes in an "update readme" commit
just git push --force them with the original commit so as to appear never to commit any bugs

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
isn't this like the mid-tier of programming skills

like, you start out by copy/pasting and reinventing the wheel
then you think "no i must create reuseable components" and then you create very generic, bespoke metaconfiguration tooling so that you can "easily add new features"
top tier is keeping yo head down and earning dem figgies (*)

(*) side note: what does noted film director mike figgis earn?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Xarn posted:

ctps: PowerPoint can verify my licence because my PC is hosed, so I am trying this reveal.js thing everyone seems to like.

It uh works, but writing in it so far has been much more time consuming than using PowerPoint would be.
seems par for the course for js-based wheel reinventions

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

guava seems like the one thing that you should always shadow/rename no matter what
guava uses semantic versioning but apparently google's semantics are not ours

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
hello i am james nothing, why am i currently listed in your system as james null?

also please pronounce my name as 'hamess'

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
to be fair they're both not numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
good username/post combo