Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

hmmm c feels very bad after rust

it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I hear there's a new edition of A Tour of C++ by Stroustrup (the devil himself).

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

:wrong:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Progressive JPEG posted:

imo:
- don't use exceptions
- mark all destructors virtual
- templates are effectively a preprocessor stage
- use smart pointers everywhere (e.g. unique_ptr for members rather than raw pointers)
- don't bother with c++ streams just use the c printf stuff, unless theres something better in the last 5 years idk

lol how are you so wrong on every one of these points

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Also, raw pointers are fine if they are non-owning which means you shouldn't have functions that look like this:

code:
void f(const std::unique_ptr<SomeResource>& p)
{
  // Not changing ownership of whatever p points to
}
Just do this:

code:
void f(SomeResource* p)
{
  // Read/write what p points to
}
and use the get() member to retrieve the raw pointer from your smart pointer.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
gently caress that guy

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
hot take: gbs is no better than reddit

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

working through effective c++ and i rly like scott meyers. i wish someone had helped him get his hair cut at some point though. like i dont care personally i just feel bad for him but maybe he doesnt give a gently caress.

last i heard he joined the d community and started making GBS threads on c++

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

echinopsis posted:

they’re not wrong

actually they are

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Symbolic Butt posted:

inheritance is a garbage feature

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

TerraGoetia posted:

I am meeting resistance encouraging my team to upgrade from C++98.

i too have a team full of olds that have been coasting by with something that they didn't even really learn 20 years ago

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I liked c++ templates

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

pseudorandom posted:

Assuming you've got C++ experience, or are good in other languages and don't need an intro level book, I really like Effective C++; paired with Effective Modern C++ would probably be good.

Once I finally understood them, I really started to like C++ templates. I recall starting to use them for fun type-safety stuff, and traits, to satisfy my desire to be programming in Rust instead.

late reply, but i just want to point out that C++ Templates, 2nd Edition is a book but maybe that was :thejoke:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
yeah, like the op!!!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
"program into a language"

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Professional CMake is quite thorough and modern. It's written by a maintainer.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
here are also some blogs written by a fellow yosposter:
https://codingnest.com/basic-cmake/
https://codingnest.com/basic-cmake-part-2/

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Sapozhnik posted:

OOP was a godawful idea but it is particularly astonishing that it fails the hardest at the things it was specifically designed for and supposed to be best at (i.e. user interfaces and simulations)

- truly a goddamn catastrophe

its bad oop

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
the only reason my current place started doing sprints is because someone didn't work for months on end lol

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Blinkz0rz posted:

lotta folks in this thread showing how little they know about an extremely complex and not at all "one size fits all" concept

except for you!!!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i read this: https://www.cppstd17.com/index.html

seemed p good

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

DrPossum posted:

Interview code challenges, whiteboard, pairing, being observed, or otherwise are loving awful. I was toying with the idea of inverting it:

You bring a challenge of your choice in your language of choice to me, put it on some public repo (and develop and commit like you would), and we walk through your solution and decisions together and we have to keep it to 30 min

I kind of like the idea of not putting someone on the spot, seeing what they think is a sufficiently interesting and appropriate problem that can be timeboxed, getting an idea of how they thought through their solution, getting an idea of their proactive communication, and how they take feedback.

Do something trivial like fizzbuzz and you can gently caress off, do something that takes 4 hours to go through and you can gently caress off, copy paste something you can't articulate and is probably in one big commit and you can gently caress off

this will never take off because the point of interviews is to make the interviewers feel like they're smart boys

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

gentlemen! no jokes in the comedy forum!

there's a comedy forum?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Corla Plankun posted:

if you dont understand the basics of directed acyclic graphs you're gonna have a real hard time as a programmer; they crop up all over the place and they're not at all complicated to learn about

no they don't. git is the only place where i've encountered a dag. it's almost as if programming is a mish-mash of subfields and one computer toucher's regular experience has no bearing on another's.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

bob dobbs is dead posted:

youve never encountered dependencies before? or a gc or any managed memory? or a toposort? or a path algo? or any of those dataflow things, airflow, luigi, etc? or a compiler?...

no, no, no, no, no

as for the last one, lol. you don't need to know what a dag is to use a compiler.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Plorkyeran posted:

go spend five minutes brushing up on the incredibly basic thing you’ve unknowingly interacted with many times then

why should i? it'll have no impact on my work

sure, learning new things is cool and all but let's not pretend that it's always going to enrich your life

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Plorkyeran posted:

how do you know that something you've somehow never heard of will have no impact on your work? "anything i don't already know must not be useful to know" is a pretty dumb way to go through life.

i've been doing the same embedded c poo poo for like a decade now. pretty sure this field won't catch up to the rest of the world before i'm dead.

also, where'd this dumb projection about "anything" come from? we're talking about one thing that nobody besides computer touchers needs to know (and not even then)

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Xarn posted:

How have you never used dependencies?

it's me, i'm the terrible programmer

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

FlapYoJacks posted:

- Every programmer has to approve of pull requests and do code review on any merge requests.

:stare: How many programmers are there? I only have 2 reviewers at my place and I'm lucky if they even look at it inside of a week.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
how is anyone typing ahead of their editor in tyool 2023? just ask your work for a better computer

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

mystes posted:

I hear that's hard to treat good luck

sounds misrable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
pointers, never liked em