Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

postgres has json and jsonb data types

jsonb can be indexed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

circleci gitlab and azure devops all have free tier ci pipelines.

I use and like azure devops.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

I use and like azure devops.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm trying to decide if I should install a font with ligatures or if that would just drive me insane

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Powershell is a good tool for what it was designed for.

If you're trying to use it for anything other than managing Windows environments you will have a bad time.

It is not a real programming language and should not be treated as such.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

powershell isnt a programming language, its a symptom of a disease, that being managing or using windows in any capacity like a goddamned mentalist

Be careful not to spill your kumbacha on your MacBook or you'll have a $3k aluminum paperweight

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You're still talking about powershell like it's a real language when in reality is is a scriptable management environment for Windows and O365.

Seriously, we're talking about something that is structured so that it's comparison operators are actually command line arguments.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the +4 digits don't correspond to anything specific, they could be a city block, a single building, or a single high volume recipient.

USPS does have a barcode format that specifies the exact delivery point

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just register in delaware or nevada or belize or something

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Considering typescript is just Microsoft trying to make javascript be more like C#..

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

sounds like they're planning a migration!

to angular

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Slack Motherfucker posted:

in my anecdotal / second hand experience pinterest is really big with women; my wife used it to plan our wedding and she told me tons of people use for that and more generally to create visual inspiration boards for stuff like fashion or events or whatever. as a bonus, people who make boards like that tend to be pretty interested in advertising about the topic of the board or the items that are featured.

my anecdotal experience mirrors yours

Now we have two data points!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

HoboMan posted:

yep, seems like if the angular compiler throws an error visual studio ignores it and keeps on truckin', hosting a website with no content
if i want to see what the error is i have to open the command line and try to compile it from there

If it makes you feel any better, I have the same problem with React in VS Code + webpack dev server

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bloody posted:

i like developing c# because i just open the solution in visual studio and click build and thats the whole build process

I also like that my build pipeline in Azure Devops is a single stage and has like two checkboxes for configuration.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you're not using a potato, the performance is fine.

As for the other "weird quirks" I don't know, every text editor has their own, you do you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

just use the same thing I do you piece of poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

The best GUI text editor is GEdit. The best console text editor is nano.

What's it like to have brain damage?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

isn't notepad++ written by a guy that thinks code signing is a conspiracy?

e: yes - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/notepad-no-longer-code-signed-dev-wont-support-overpriced-cert-industry/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Obviously one is a Legacy Module for Operations and the other is a Module for Legacy Operations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I literally only identify people by their avatar.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i call it working from bone

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

And you can have both

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone near real mountains, I appreciate that comparison

e: gently caress that is a bad page snipe.
um.. tps: I once had a request to disable the controls on an embedded youtube video. I solved this by floating a div over the whole thing.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 26, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

i think that means you're supposed to throw it away and rewrite it in a hip new language that no one at your company has ever used before

and if anyone else happens to be familiar with the language, find a framework they haven't heard of that they must use now or be left behind by your competitors

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Never let the user control the internal ID.

If you must, make a secondary user-facing ID, and enforce uniqueness within the scope of the user/account/client/org/whatever.

necrotic posted:

i didnt read your full post before posting myself sounds like you have the right idea already

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my guids are floats

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's almost like using the appropriate tool for different tasks works better for solving your own particular use-case instead of trying to do everything in one place

Burn the witch!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Maybe try Notion

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

then they're bread

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm not even sure if powershell scripting is better than batch files tbh

python > powershell > bash > batch

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if by "easy" you mean "it loads wrong"

My favorite excel quirk is the difference in behavior depending on if you double-click a csv to open, or if you go to file->open to open your csv.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In older versions File->Open defaulted to tab delimited, while double-clicking tried to auto-detect the delimiter.

In current versions File->Open opens the text import wizard, but still defaults to tab delimited so if you just quickly hit next/finish it still doesn't open correctly.

Bloody posted:

what if you drag n drop the csv into excel

drag and drop behaves the same way as double-click

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

store all numbers in a queue of chars

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you got this

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it’s just life advice

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

necrotic posted:

It's the files for the transpiler and tooling. Most of that won't end up in the output.

React isn't for static pages either.

Counter point: React is great for static pages.

As a test I just spun up some empty scaffolding for a react project and my node_modules is 34k files

but does generate a full dev environment with a hot-loading web server

also, I am a terrible programmer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

necrotic posted:

its no longer static if you use react though

do you expect me to write html like some sort of pleb

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's turds all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm doing Advent of Code in python because I'm super rusty. I was having issues with day two part two and after 20 minutes of banging my head against it noticed this little gem.

Python code:
        if (int(results[0] == goal)):
            print('BREAK')
            break
that should have failed to run in any sane language