Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

my computer organization course was in masm and it wasn't too bad imo, but we stuck to ia-32 so maybe amd64 is worse?

Same, it wasn't so bad and I even made a space invaders game with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Kilometres Davis posted:

Terrible programmers rejoice

Now we can all be rockstar programmers

https://github.com/dylanbeattie/rockstar

code:
Tommy was a lovestruck ladykiller 
initialises Tommy with the value 100

:eyepop:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i'd like to see this thread rebooted with some mention of the rules. i'm also not really sure what the rules are anymore. personally, I want to see:

1. a cjs thread for general chit chat
2. terrible programmer safety zone: a safe space for talking about programming/programming adjacent stuff
3. a try hard thread that's for more serious discussion but still chill.

partly, i've felt kinda weird posting my functional programming stuff in here. it feels a little showoff-y, and it's made worse by the fact that i'm not really explaining what's going on or any of the process. but explaining the process is a lot of work and it feels weird to put effort into a thread that's intentionally kinda low effort. but maybe i just need to post in CoC more? i don't really for some reason.

anyhow just because i made one dumb post 5 years ago doesn't give me any right to decide the fate of this thread so what do ya'll think?

We have all the threads you want and they operate in the way you describe.

1. the CJS thread, get to know the other yosposters
2. this one, help with the newbies
3. The PL (Programming Language) thread, the try hard programming thread
+
The Picture thread for funny computer

These are the 4 main YOSPOS threads IMO that see lots of posts every day, but there are of course all the individual topic threads like Security, Android/Mac/Windows/Google, Buttcoin, Interviewing, SciFi/Fantasy Nerd poo poo, yosqueer hangout

Also it sounds like your FP post should go in the The PL thread where it would be well received by all the PL weenies.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there is also cat thread that is literally 2nd largest thread in forums, also has literal hundreds of gigabytes of homegrown cat jpegs

I'm allergic to cats :smugdog:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was kind of amazed to hear that most of our teams were manually janitoring config or doing 'oh poo poo make sure you copy the right file to prod' type stuff because all our stuff used nice neat config files that had a section per environment and a host-env mapping so your app would always read the right properties. turns out that's all off the back of an internal dll some dude wrote in 2004 that we've built off ever since, I just thought it was normal because it was all I'd ever seen :shrug:

latest versions will pull config details from a remote service that authenticates the host and calling process so you don't have any details in plaintext config and can't accidentally connect non prod to prod.

it owns tbh

Yeah that poo poo owns, I only got to see that actually work correctly while I was at Amazon. It went to so far as to define which other services could call your teams services, and let you go down to the granularity of each HTTP verb and it's endpoint.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

I know literally nothing about graphics programming and all of that poo poo amazes me.

It's linear algebra all the way down

What I don't get is how the gently caress people write graphics drivers

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

btw 3b1b just started releasing a series of videos on quaternions, it's some amazing stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0Bg

Scrub tier
https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-octonion-math-that-could-underpin-physics-20180720/

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

I watched almost all of it, around 30min he finally gets to the main point which is this:

and he isn't 100% sure if that's what's really going on, which is fine but I'm not sure why he is wrapping this query in an 1 hour long video rant

btw this is a pattern that I noticed about rust programmers before and in the end maybe he kinda has a point here but just lol at jblow

You mean smashing keys until it works doesn't leave you with a greater understanding of what's happening underneath? Hot Take!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

the db project should keep things like the viewButts proc as individual script files so you can version them like that. it also keeps history in some form so it will handle things like renames properly (in most cases). the real problem is like you said with stuff in dev that isn't ready for prod. there aren't any tools that fix this since its a process problem.

There are kind of 3 ways to handle it:
1) When you do a diff for prod with the db project diff tool it will give you a list of objects from which you can filter things for the release
2) Divide your schema into separate databases to limit the impact of parallel development
3) Create a new Dev environment and only publish current releases from dev to test so test to prod is always current changes.

They all suck for various reasons but there really isn't a good solution.

I keep telling you Shaggar to double down on tools like liquibase which can take all your changes from dev to prod in a reproducible manner. Versioning of the sprocs and tables is handled by the tool and lets you push changes form dev->test->prod along side with your application.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
That's not an issue with Liquibase because it doesn't model changes based on diffs between environments. In your example, each dev would have their respective changes to the sprocs in the changelog file. When feature A is complete you commit and merge your branch back into master which then gets applied to all the environments in the pipeline, following your normal release process. When feature B is done, it gets committed and pushed upstream at that point and there is none of the poo poo you talked about involved.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

200 means everything worked and if you disagree i hate you

yeah responding with 200 an error code is grounds for :commissar:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

vscode is a childs toy for idiots and javascript programmers (same thing)

it's a decent text editor on a Mac

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Like why are smart quotes a thing, I've never read a rational discussion about why ' and " need to have those loving ligatures for any reason

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

ah ok are you sure that you know what a ligature is

I can never talk straight when it comes to loving fonts and Unicode terms. I thought ligatures were the modifiers and poo poo you put on the basic symbols. like � is the the letter e with a right accent on top.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

look at this person who doesn't have any appreciation for the written word
If i want to quote something I just put the whole statement in between " ", not use those fancy oriented single quotation marks.

I get that they exist for a reason and have a specific use, but what business does any computer have in replace apostrophes with quotes? Did this all come about because some dipshit thought gently caress it, everyone really wants to use quotes, so I'll just helpfully replace them?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

im just glad that the spa fad died out almost everywhere, idgaf what web devs do as long as it isn't ever that again

what now?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
I wish I had spent more time figuring out how to integrate JOOQ with Spring since we use that for transaction management.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

What did you do with a postgres table before sql support?

Write your own query dsl to issue searches against it?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
lol at inviting the dbas to our daily scrum

they need to stay in their cages and feed the query planner

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

As long as the front end is always sending you data in UTC or with time zone information attached you're fine, yeah?

You don't always even need the TZ information, but it's better to have it and not need it. I've found that without it on global services reports like "what do people do at 5pm in their local time" become impossible and then you have to shoehorn it in after the fact and that sucks. See post above ^

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Store everything in UTC
Only deal with time zones at the edges of your application (input/output)
Prefer to transmit date/times in epoch milliseconds
Fall back to ISO8601 to transmit date/times as strings, don’t use your own string formatters!
Display time in users preferred locale, but do it all the way in the display part of your application!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

true that's fine for earth-centric satellites but what do you about things that have never even been to earth?

ntp works in space right?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

logstash has an issue where if you start it in a fresh docker container it can't start until it gathers enough entropy or some bullshit in practice this means a 15 min startup time

this has been happening for months and have i lifted a finger to fix it and save time? like gently caress, i like being all "pushed the button now time to stretch my legs"

SSH has this poo poo too, you have to install haveged

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i think modules (9) are a big deal, but I haven't read up on them too much yet. Seems like it has a major impact on how dependencies are resolved.

narrator: they aren't

Any pain for migrations to newer javas is the all the private APIs they removed and old as poo poo broken dependencies that relied on them.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
In theory Modules let you ship a stripped down version of the jre with your application that includes only the java.* packages needed to run your app. This was to get the entire footprint of the jre down so that it fit better with the whole container ecosystem. Also since there are less classes it speeds up the initial startup time that everyone cites as a reason for not using Java in their quick start container world.

Fixing classpath hell was never a goal for Modules, but of course that didn't stop an endless amount of hype from HN idiots about Modules being the savior of the JVM.

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 4, 2019

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pass i say, so you decouple connectivity from logic

Congrats you're a DI expert now

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

who the hell's high school had programming courses

we had C++ and Java in 04

oh yeah it was AP computer science

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
gently caress SOAP UI

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

webass

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

AggressivelyStupid posted:

ctps: SNMP :suicide:

e: I'm really hoping a simple MIB parser lib in either C or Python exists out in the wild somewhere so I don't have to handwrite one because I only slightly know what's going on here

taps thread title, gently caress SNMP

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

no, tabs are a character designed for tabulation, which is a very different thing from indentation.

I also like to huff my own farts

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

c tp s: spent some quality time chasing a ci failure today

apparently with npm it is possible that:
1) the dependency installer thing requires flat out access to git and ssh so it can clone some guys crap on github. definitely something you want running in your enterprise build system
2) apparently there is a package for compiling css stylesheets with c now.. of course this requires aforementioned git and ssh access

why does npm repository even exist if it does not contain the drat dependencies
why do css stylesheets need compiling on runtime, why does this process require c of all things

:tif:

lol that you’re just now figuring this out. why do you think we make fun of Web developers.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

re: utf16[bl]e, i worked on this app framework that was written in c++ and all their strings were handled as utf16le. i asked why that decision was made during the original design, and it was you can do "immediate character look-up by index most of the time".

i asked about "the rest of the time" and i was told that we just won't worry about the higher code points.

so you worked in java

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

midwestern protestants definitely have a level of guilt rivaling or transcending catholics'

it's just that catholic guilt is conceptually "i am inherently sinful" while midwestern guilt is more "i am inherently lazy." i'm not allowed to have fun because god is mad, vs. i'm not allowed to have fun because i need to work harder

til Catholic guilt is not a thing in Mexico

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Blinkz0rz posted:

sure but have you ever used a guid as a numeric value? i've literally never ever worked with anything but its string representation.

Postgres store it as the 128 bit value and represent it as the String

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Yeah was gonna mention Elasticsearch for full text search.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

property-based testing is unbelievably good and it just blows me away how many different bugs the same set of tests are finding in my code

in this particular case, i'm doing model-based testing of a custom collection class using a plain old c# list as the model and hoo boy all kinds of weird paths through state are turning up bugs that i would absolutely not have found in hand-written unit tests

so it’s just a fuzzing library? that’s what I gleaned from this article. https://hypothesis.works/articles/what-is-property-based-testing/
also what language is it for?
on that note does anyone have experience using something similar in Java, did it help you?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Arcsech posted:

just remember: it’s more afraid of u than u are of it

I'm pretty sure it's not, what with all the UB that lurks in the specs

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Technically you don't have to pay if you're only using it to develop software locally, but lol @ using Oracle JDK in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

dacpac is pretty much the gold standard in auto migration and it still does this

if we add a column at the end of a table, all is well. if we add it anywhere else, large deployments can look forward to >30m downtime for the migration

--

for our new projects i'm taking this strategy:

the schema is just a bunch of numbered sql files. once it's gone into prod, you don't touch it any more*. when you change something in the schema after it's gone into prod, you add a "0004. new feature.sql" file with the alter tables you need.

pro: migrations are entirely deterministic and there's no extra tooling to janitor special cases, data conversions, renaming, whatever. just sql.

con: the sql files are basically write-only and you can't figure out the current schema of a table from looking at them. to mitigate that, there's a step in the CI that runs all the script and then runs schemaspy to generate an up-to-date documentation of the current schema. i'm not sure if it will be enough.

we'll see how it goes. i hope it's an entirely different kind of mess and i learn something from it, at least

* i want to set up an automatic VC or CI rejection if you change a sql file that's gone into prod, but i'm not sure how to define them

This is basically what Liquibase does. I think it shines even more when you need to maintain migrations for multiple DBs.