Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the naming of endiannesses seems backwards to me

so we have a a system where the “big”, most significant bytes are towards the end of a stream of bytes, or higher memory, and it’s called little endian

and then if the big bytes are right at the start of a stream of bytes, or right at the first, lowest memory address, it’s called big endian

some neckbeards from 70 years ago decided that the word “end” means the start of something. maybe I should be glad my brain works the opposite way from theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

both times i was taught the concept, the prof asked if there was an "obvious" right way, to which 100% of the students raised a hand, then asked if it was big or little, and got a 50-50 split

nah, I'm not saying big or little is obviously right to me, I'm saying the names should be flipped according to how I think about it

but yah I forgot about the Gulliver's Travels part, of course it's a loving reference. at least it was decided way too early for it to be a monty python reference.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

aardvaard posted:

big endian is big end first, little endian is little end first.

the first end, also known as the "start" of something

you know, like how all stories have a first end, a middle, and an ending.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is there some sort of tool or cheat sheet for doing like a reverse syntax lookup for c++?

as in “yes this sequence of names, colons, braces, and brackets is defining a something that inherits from something and something and the overrides something and then...”

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

pros of not leaving on time: nothing

cons: all of the cons

but you’re not going to get that promotion to the next ICT level if you’re not a team player that delivers impressive results!

the best way to get it is to switch companies

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the main project at newjob is a sprawling code base consisting of a large number (more than a few dozen, not sure if it's over 100) of git repos managed by 2 different meta-repo tools. the build is done by make at the top level but that goes in to a few other build systems to build various parts of the project. several hundred thousand files of c/c++ code in total.

my instinctual desire to understand the full stack of what I'm working on may have met its end

edit: oh I forgot the best part. the structure of the meta repos is such that the git repos often have overlapping folder structures. in some cases in the git repos are set up to .gitignore each other, in some case not.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jabor posted:

your build process should not involve "scripts" of any kind, hth

your build should be entirely declarative - these files make up a single unit, it depends on these other units. converting that dependency graph into actual compiler executions is the job of the build system, which should have a standard plugin for compiling stuff in the language that you're using.

I want to live in this wonderful fantasy land

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

speaking of markov I've been using TabNine for autocomplete and kind of loving it. like it spams a lot of wacky and useless suggestions but also pretty often it suggests exactly what I want. it's amazing for boilerplate stuff because it's really good at picking up patterns that repeat with slight differences

https://tabnine.com

actual semantic autocomplete might be better but ginormous project size plus wacky build systems means that's not really an option

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Reading any library's documentation:

when the revolution comes the people who do in fact prefer to watch a video will be found and forcibly re-educated

people who would have written blog posts years ago are now making videos because they monetize 1000x times better (it's 1000x0 for most people but whatever) so there's a general trend of making knowledge content in video form instead of text

lovely middle managers see this trend and decide that it's important to follow it to stay relevant to the kids or some poo poo.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

code:
DoButtStuff(0, 0x1234567, 0x321)
While reviewing the code, I left a comment to ask if they could #define the values somewhere or something instead of calling a function with magic numbers. The next patch set looked something like

code:
DoButtStuff(/*fart=*/ 0, /*butts=*/ 0x1234567, /*foo=*/ 0x321)
I didn't want to argue so I approved it, but I don't like it.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

how concerned should I be about project that uses a version of openssl that is years out of date? it's not exposing any kind of network service afaik, I think they're just using it for some random crypto functions

asking hypothetically for a friend

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Xarn posted:

I see the mandatory google brainwashing is proceeding well.

the term "googler" doesn't sound weird to me anymore. in a while longer I'll probably start saying it myself

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Spazmo posted:

i love when embedded and kernel guys spend their whole career bragging about how their jobs are just plain harder than other kinds of engineering, webdev scrubs will never get it, you just have to hire a better class of programmer--until it comes to testing, then suddenly everything is impossible and not worth the effort

i will probably not unit test until forced to do so

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yeah PCBs have lots of design tools to help but once poo poo gets real with emissions compliance/aggressors it quickly devolves into "bob soldered on some random caps and bits of copper tape and we improved by about 2.8dB"

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/memory-safety

quote:

Memory safety
The Chromium project finds that around 70% of our serious security bugs are memory safety problems. Our next major project is to prevent such bugs at source.

The problem
Around 70% of our high severity security bugs are memory unsafety problems (that is, mistakes with C/C++ pointers). Half of those are use-after-free bugs.

quote:

What we’re trying
We’re tackling the memory unsafety problem — fixing classes of bugs at scale, rather than merely containing them — by any and all means necessary, including:
Custom C++ libraries
- //base is already getting into shape for spatial memory safety.
- std and Abseil assume correct callers ‘for speed’, but can be modified to do basic checking with implementation changes (Abseil) and compile-time flags (LLVM libcxx).
- Generalizing Blink’s C++ garbage collector, and using it more widely (starting with PDFium).
Hardware mitigations, e.g. MTE.
- Custom C++ dialect(s)
-Defined and enforced by LLVM plugins and presubmit checks. In particular, we feel it may be necessary to ban raw pointers from C++.
Using safer languages anywhere applicable
-Java and Kotlin
-JavaScript
-Rust
-Swift
-Others…?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Private Speech posted:

JS and Java/Kotlin is pretty lmbo

now you can have not just the server written in JS, but the rendering engine too!

it's possible I'm reading wrong because I'm a muppet and that's insane, but it doesn't sound like it to me

i can't totally picture how c++ with garbage collection would look in practice. I guess it would be a new kind of wrapper class around pointers like std::unqiue_ptr is?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pokeyman posted:

shared_ptr everywhere is basically garbage collection

shared_ptr everywhere sounds like the opposite of a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

i don't think you 'get' software licensing and contracts

maybe OP can scrounge up enough money to take the decision makers to a better steakhouse/strip club than the oracle people did, but I doubt it