Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
you: no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
shaggar monitor status: still not on

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JawnV6 posted:

every so often its obvious when someone comes thru and hasn't clicked back through 8 dead/haunted OP's to figure out what's cool for this thread and what should probably be posted elsewhere

i literally had to look up at the tab to check the thread title when i read this

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

eschaton posted:

try doing this

get yourself off vi

quoting from way back, but learning vi is pretty much the equivalent to picking up smoking.
i've tried quitting vi off and on for like 15 years and i always keep coming back.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

gonadic io posted:

after a few years i have upgraded my repertoire to include dd which deletes the whole line and saves me holding down backspace for 10 mins at a time

watch it, that's how it gets you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corla Plankun posted:

i did it after i posted about it i just wanted to talk about terrible programming in the terrible programming thread tef, gosh

this dataset is literally going to fall into the except clause 60,000 times a day so it feels really bad to rely on catches here. i probably should just count brackets on any string that's max length but its not really worth the trouble, I was just wondering and honestly kinda surprised that json.loads doesn't have some kind of default argument like dict.get does

make a with block out of it so a) you don't have to look at it and b) the next poor bastard that has to look at it will have no loving clue what is going on

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Schadenboner posted:

I've literally never programmed anything more than pasting together powershell poo poo from stack exchange. :(

Mind you, I don't especially want to be a programmer but I'd like to at least be able to go :hmmyes: and fake it like I sort of can with processors.

Is there like an equivalent of this but for software?

just Google "software interviews"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

why even bother to commit them locally? if they're worth committing they're worth keeping.

i like being able to make transitory commits when i'm trying out new ideas because if an idea isn't working out i can just git stash to put myself back at the last point where things were working ok with a clear slate.
this along with the free branching makes git a really useful development tool regardless of its function as source control, which i suspect is part of its appeal.

i agree with you about not liking this whole notion of excessively curated commit logs, and force pushing to remote is functionality which should not exist.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

akadajet posted:

code or do anything meaningful

:thunk:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

redleader posted:

nice imaginary use case. no one has ever done this

ikr, why would i want somebody else's bad ideas when i've got so many of my own?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Beamed posted:

no they're correct, it's mutually exclusive

yeah, it was just seeing them alongside each other like that was kind of jarring

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Schadenboner posted:

And yet you're still permitted an "Edit" button.

which i would encourage you to use, along with the delete key!

*edit*
this is a safespace and the above post is in no way related to your programming and is only intended as an exercise in shitposting

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
n/m i didn't read the question properly

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

brand engager posted:

How do you update your branch if the master gets new commits before your branch gets merged if you don't have rebase?

you get merge conflicts which need to be resolved before the merge goes through, same as if you rebased no?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah, I usually just pull from master before opening a PR and leave a merge commit for that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

jit bull transpile posted:

mostly agree, though I will often leave a useful comment on wip commits that complete some logical unit of the work and use rebase -i to fix up down to just the 3 or 4 useful commits from the dozens unusually have in a branch.

that's about what i end up with as well.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

redleader posted:

fair. it just seems like rolling your own lisp is the sort of thing that would be better served by using something off the shelf

you do realize who you're talking to, right?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the data structure in the db is a completely flat, single table that represents multiple types of thing

i think i spotted your problem op

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Django is very rad

if you mean the guitarist or the movie character i agree, the web framework is just a web framework

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

kinda thinking about getting into ios dev.

pros:
1. maybe more interesting than web dev:
- more constraints (battery, etc). i'd like more experience with caring about performance beyond io.
- i get to reason about a single runtime. i've only had to think about the runtime of a webserver and that gets boring after a while.

2. lots of crossover with my current skillset, since designing a backend for a native client is really not all that different from an http/js client.

3. pay seems good.

4. swift is rad.

cons:

1. i'm really not a heavy or advanced user of mobile devices.

2. i don't care about apps.

3. ???

thoughts?

i transitioned from doing web backend in python to iOS a couple years ago, and i've been very happy with the switch.
by far the biggest learning curve for me was the uikit api and autolayout, the networking and storage stuff has been wonderful to work on especially since the Codable protocols came out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
We use rabbitmq at work and it's been solid af.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

eschaton there is no reasonable way to get vim-mode in my xcode. i hold you personally responsible, as an emacs fan you should appreciate the importance of extensibility.

it took me a couple months but i don't really miss it too much anymore

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
basically you can either suck it up and do it apple's way or suffer

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ctps: girlfriend wants to learn to program and i really hope it sticks because i think we'd be a good programming team

that quote about wherever your relationship is going it will get there faster on a tandem bicycle except programming

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

yeah it's refactoring that's the problem. not just renaming but also changing signatures. like if you realise a method needs to take two parameters instead of one, in java you add the parameter to the method and then the compiler immediately tells you every other place you need to change to match it. in python you just don't have that because most static analysis tools aren't smart enough to do much beyond "here's a place where a method of the same name was called with one parameter", it can't be sure if it's actually the same method or not so it's up to you to figure out what needs to change.

duck typing also brings pain to undisciplined programmers because nothing forces you to record what assumptions your code is making. in languages like java you have to say explicitly what your interfaces are and what calls them and what implements them, and the compiler yells at you if you deviate from that. in python you can just write code that uses an implicit interface and pass it objects that implicitly match that interface and it all just magically works, which is great because you can write all the code instead of wasting time pacifying the compiler, and you feel super-productive. and then you forget the details or accidentally make things inconsistent, and now your code is an unmaintainable mess and you don't have a clue how all the parts fit together. or at least that's my experience as a terrible programmer.

and sure, tests can help - but the problem with tests is that they're optional and so idiots don't always bother writing them, and sod's law dictates that the test that doesn't get written is the one that would have caught the bug you're trying to fix. static typing may only be able to prevent a tiny subset of the bugs proper testing can catch, but the fact that it's not optional means it's automatically a million times more useful to me.

I'm impressed, this and the one before were really good posts.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, this made me realize that Go is a billion times better than python. Just don't get me started on the error handling and those loving channels that are supposed to simplify concurrency. I learned this last sprint I would've been better off skipping the channels and just using locks/semaphores/etc. Would've saved me some headaches, and the code would've been a lot easier to maintain/follow, I think.

I also learned CTO is terrible at writing maintainable code and whoa big surprise he's a hardcore python dev. After code reviewing some of my Go code he decided to spend pretty much the entire sprint rewriting/refactoring his own Go project to make it more readable. Well, I guess that's something

Well ok, maybe they weren't so good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

No there are just very high quality open source serialization libraries and everyone uses those instead of the built in

Not in Swift! The Codable protocol is loving tits and the Swift team has every right to be exceptionally proud of it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VikingofRock posted:

I guess my more general problem is what do I do if I start working on feature B, and then I realize that it depends on feature A which is unimplemented and in the same file? Is it possible to submit the two features as two separate changelists, without throwing away my work on feature B?

Sorry if I'm getting some of the terminology wrong or overlooking something obvious; I've only been working with perforce for about a week.

Best advice I can give is get used to throwing work away, and consider it ammunition for meetings to come.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Krankenstyle posted:

but then they cant look over your shoulder and see you browsing yospos all day

just require everyone to use vnc, easy.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

open offices should be more like open relationships, imo

the office should dissolve into fistfights and screaming matches on a weekly basis

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokeyman posted:

saw a code change go by the other day that turned

if foo.isEmpty { return }

into

guard !foo.isEmpty else { return }

and the semantics of guard didn't seem worth adding a lil easy-to-miss ! in there

i always do these as

guard let unwrappedFoo = foo else

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
oh that's cute

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a magical secret of the modern software company: you can expect literacy from the software touchers like half the time, from lower management a quarter of the time, and from upper managment never

none of your upper management can read?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Private Speech posted:

being fair seven thousand lines of assembly doesn't make a particularly large program

not that it would be error free either

the one on the left had two years to write and test it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corla Plankun posted:

type and category theory seem like they eliminate many of the most annoying categories of common bugs and i always thought that's all there was to it w/r/t haskell programmers and liking haskell

yeah it's this innit

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokeyman posted:

best use of the goofy-rear end linq syntax that I've ever seen, ship it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokeyman posted:

if it's impossible for me to gently caress myself when assembling a query with a parameter that may have quotation marks in its value, I'm happy

after that, either go in a radically different direction (like core data) or stop layering crap on top

i've never really understood the coredata hate, it's always done me right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"this code was generated by a tool" lol you got that right visual studio