Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Voting C, although D's not too bad either.

Top of the page means a new face:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
((Infantry wins! No changes in stats or equipment, though we need to spend our last freebie points, and I opt to do that on Eagle Eyed (increases likelihood of Search and Observe actions suceeding) and Battle Rifle (Melee), which allows us to actually hit something if stuck in close quarters. ))

Hello Vietnam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byaPHvBzD7A

It's finally happening.

You've taken the oath, and have finished your training. Long months of training for a variety of combat situations and learning everything from cleaning kit to the code of conduct by rote are now done, and, buffed out from basic training, you suddenly adjusted to a series of quick changes. Your unit, the 196th Infantry Brigade, was originally scheduled to go to the Dominican Republic after being re-activated in '65, but with the war heating up, you're getting your wish, and after a long trek by boat, you're on a C-130 landing in Duong Ming Chao, to assemble at the Tây Ninh combat base.

A double slow-burning artillery match on your shoulder, the unit insignia of the 196th

Part of the shock of this country, apart from the smells, exotic people and sights, is the weather. With temperatures easily exceeding 30*C and constant and heavy rainfall, you're finding yourself wondering how you (and the Viet Cong for that matter) are going to fight in such conditions.

You get off the ramp, and look around. 4000 men in your brigade surround you, carrying gear and rucks to their designated place. You wouldn't know what american exceptionalism is yet, but your lungs swell with pride in the technological and spiritual superiority of your countrymen. Half of the brigade are draftees, and to be honest, have a kind of lovely attitude about being here. Finding your ruck and your rifle, the dependable if slow-firing M14, you make your way to the base.

A week later.

Turns out you're going to live and work in III Corps Tactical Zone.

this place!

..which is the area surrounding the south Vietnamese capital of Saigon. It is named after the third corps of the Vietnamese army, whom you are supposed to support as they pacify and rebuild the region. As of now, you've arrived in Tây Ninh province, and have gotten rolled up into 3rd Batallion, 1st Infantry Regiment, and you're starting to get a grip on who you'll be fighting with and how. Fighting in the 2nd Platoon, you're led by 1st Lt. Williams, a tough but amicable lifer who they others say have fought in Korea. Your fireteam has Pig, your M60 gunner, and his loader Marion, as well as a rifleman, a black kid named Delroy. Along with four others, you're 2nd squad, led by Staff Sgt. LaCroix.

Now in your place in the grand scheme of things, you are finally going to go on your first mission. Spreading out into the barren plains of Tây Ninh, you're going to look for signs of Viet Cong and confirm or deny suspicions that NVA regulars have arrived to support them. Your primary objective is to Locate the Viet Cong, with the optional objective of Win a Battle. SSgt LaCroix explains:

"At one point, Viet Cong infiltrators, backed up main force thugs, controlled over two thirds of these areas. We got them licked, but they're dug in extremely well still. What the brass wants us to do is find them and destroy them, see? That means look out for anything out of the ordinary: guys who look like they don't know the other villagers, people looking scared, or disturbed terrain that point a their weapons and food caches.

Anything feels off, you get gas, anything, you report back to me. We got paratroopers and cav as backup, but if we isolate a VC group, we destroy it."

((Here's our first bit of game system! Objectives are, as the name implies, the win conditions for a mission, and give a number of Victory Points, which determine the XP a given mission yields - after a mission you get 3 XP + the difference between the Victory Points you get for achieved objectives and the Fatigue your character has. Essentially, the more smart and valorous your character is and the less he suffered to get there, the better the XP reward. Our first objective gives 5 VP and the optional one 2 VP, in this case.))

Later, near the village of Tây Ninh 5

You've been sat down by helicopter. Gee willikers, those things are neat! Combined with your C-rats, kool-aid packets and the few bombings you've seen, you're getting the feel of being a space age soldier. The village is sat on the plains (in fact, there's really nothing but plains in Tây Ninh as far as you've seen), and a couple of villagers mill about, giving you a wide berth. A regular heat wave is on, and the fireteam is groaning under the strain.

Behind you, Marion surprises everybody by rattling off a number of things that have happened in Vietnam up until now, like President Diems oppression of buddhists in SV, and how the massive U.S.-led Operation Crimp aimed at securing the provinces you now operate in around Saigon failed to locate the VC headquarters, but Delroy quickly asks him to shove his politics where the sun don't shine. You grudgingly approve, you all need a clear head right now.

You're told to walk point, so you do. A myriad of novel smells and sights fill your vision, but you don't think anything is out of the ordinary. How would you know, though?

For your first turn, you opt to..

A) ..Play the hunter. The terrain is flat and it's not like anyone can get the drop on you this far out, so you try to look for tracks around Village 5 instead.

B) ..Suggest to LaCroix that your squad approach the villagers and ask them about the Vietcong. They speak French in both indochina and the bayou, right?

C) ..Lead your squad into the Village and search it.

((RULES TALK: don't read on if you don't care about the system and just want to read:

A round of game time in Patrol is 30 minutes. This is one of the things that make it the odd man out, and it meant to represent that the war is also tedium, waiting and worrying. There is a "roundel" attached to the game of 12x30minutes, and certain of these areas automatically cause fatigue related to sleep deprivation, thirst or hunger. During said 30min turn, you can perform a regular action like Search, Spot Enemy or Build Fortification, as well as two minor actions (move a short distance, pick something up) and any number of free actions (manage equipment, activate claymore).

Interestingly, the game doesn't care what went by in the 30 minutes, so if you've had four actions of intense firefight, you still move it four turns or 2 hours equivalent, representing how intense actions can wear out soldiers.))

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 25, 2018

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
B

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Way to alienate American readers with your Celsius measurements :v:

I vote C

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B

:D HELLO FRIENDLY NEIGHBORS DO YOU HAVE ANYBODY NEARBY YOU WOULD LIKE US TO MURDER :D

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A, we're the pointman tracker, let's play to our strengths.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A

I'm pretty sure we don't know how to speak Vietnamese, outside of our terrible army phrasebook. Maybe someone else in the squad has better linguistic skills, but I doubt it.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tias posted:

For your first turn, you opt to..

Vote: B) ..Suggest to LaCroix that your squad approach the villagers and ask them about the Vietcong.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
A

Tias
May 25, 2008

((A wins! Trying to hash out a rule question, update tonight))

Tias
May 25, 2008

On the Prowl

You get permission to wander off the track, then swing the fireteam in an arc around the village for the better part of 20 minutes, when suddenly your brain kind of itches. You stop up, freeze and realize that you're looking at human tracks! They're off the fields and beaten walkpaths, and what's more, this is a heavy load, brother. At least a squad or more walked here, carrying heavy loads, because the tracks are pressed in and you what appears to be scuffing when something was sat down for a break.

You hightail it back to LaCroix, who commends you. "Solid work, private. We bring the platoon around, and check this out. Lead the way!"

You swell with pride. This is what you set out to do. You spend another thirty minutes lugging, when the trail leads into a single-canopy forest of broad, leafy trees. You lag, unpleasantly aware of how silent this place is.

LaCroix materializes behind you, his imposing southernness dwarfing your own. "Advance, son. We outgun these sons of bitches, but we have to wake them."

You grudgingly oblige, entering the forest.

The green-on-green renders you dazzled after a fashion, with it all turning a weak gray colour. You sweat, realizing that your colour vision is going off, and take 2, as much to close your eyes as deal with the massive heat. As you do, you seem to hear a kind of.. rustling, that sounds out of place.

Do you..

A) Infiltrate, moving closer to the noise without making a sound.

B) Initiate fire. Better safe than sorry.

C) Exfiltrate, getting back to your squad and claim you have contact?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

My heart leans towards recon-by-fire, but also by continuing-CYOA-by-survival, so... A.

After all, we all want to be a good pointman, and even if we die, we'll have done out job via recon-by-death.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A, we must be sure not to open fire on a non-combatant or friendlies!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tevery Best posted:

A, we must be sure not to open fire on a non-combatant or friendlies!

ThAt does sound like something an idealist would do.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tias posted:

On the Prowl

Do you..

Vote: A) Infiltrate, moving closer to the noise without making a sound.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A, agreed. If we open up too early without somewhat confirmed contact, the targets may get away.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CourValant posted:

Vote: A) Infiltrate, moving closer to the noise without making a sound.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Vote: A) Infiltrate

Maybe we can get thing thing rolling by whacking some unsuspecting goomba in the thigh with the business bit of our machete

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ghosting

You move with incredible care across the wet twigs, leaves and trunks, what blunders you make masked by an encroaching rain squall from the neighbouring province. Soon, you hear voices chattering in Vietnamese! Creeping forward, you come to a small clearing, in which you clearly see three men wearing peasant hats and black tunics and pants. What's much more interesting is the green flight case next to them, and the shiny Kalashnikov assault rifle in the right-most ones hand!

You have sighted Victor Charlie, distance about 200 metres. You are subject to offensive Rules of Engagement, meaning that you have to see a weapon or hostile intent, and eyes-on or solid testimonials to call support weapons. You have that.

Two options reveal themselves at this point.

A) Get the hell back, getting the platoon in fighting order. They're not far behind you, and with due warning you can win the day.

B) Take the shot. At this distance, you wouldn't miss a squirrel, and maybe you can get a second. Thus already mauled, the enemy squad will be too weak to win.

C) Something else..?

((We've made all our Infiltration actions, rolling against Fortitude and putting +3 Stealth rating on ourselves in the process. This means the enemy will have to do good Observe actions to see us at this point! Next round will give us one point of Thirst fatigue, which doesn't harm us at all, but is a drop in a bucket that can give us a bunch of penalties, especially when we also incur hunger, doubt, injury etc. ))

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 1, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I chose option B-52) Call In Arc-Light

Tias
May 25, 2008

I doubt an Arc Light will be permitted for a squad+ engagement :)

In any circumstance, Dale needs to get to his units RTO to call in support.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

I doubt an Arc Light will be permitted for a squad+ engagement :)

In any circumstance, Dale needs to get to his units RTO to call in support.

:(

A) it is

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Definitely A) , going it alone sounds like a good way to get yourself killed or captured. There's probably three times as many VC out there as Bobby can see right now.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A
GTFO

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tias posted:

Two options reveal themselves at this point.

Vote: A) Get the hell back, getting the platoon in fighting order. They're not far behind you, and with due warning you can win the day.

JcDent posted:

I chose option B-52) Call In Arc-Light

We're going full LineBacker I, II, III, IV, V, etc., on this thing, aren't we?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How did I miss this one?

A

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
As much as I want to have our boy drop to his belly and zap some fools, the only sensible action is A. Head back, organise the boyos. John Wick wouldn't last a minute in this stupid jungle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A. We have confirmed that Charlie's in the bushes, now go get the boys to rustle him out.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A

Tias
May 25, 2008

Crunch Time

You backtrack swiftly, guts churning, nearly bumping into Delroy and throwing up the stop and cover hand signals. Delroy sinks into the undergrowth, his eyes wide.

You whisper your sighting and explains to him that he needs to keep quiet, as you catch up with Pig and Marion, who set up a firing position while you you get hold of the other fireteam.

LaCroix bristles as he hears the news. "Bitchin', private. Now listen here, our mortars squad are riflemen today, on account of us travelin' light. I'll get 105 mil on 'em, but you gots to be ready to fight.

He places your 9-man group in an L-shaped staggered formation, and you wait for the steel rain to come.

Suddenly, the PRC-25 radio comes to life. "Uhh, Charger 2-11, be adviced we had to jerk the howitzer to the side quick because of an incoming casualty slick. The last round may possibly walk to your location, take cover immediately."

gently caress.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

You come to, flat on your stomach. A sizable crater has appeared, and two trees near it have been thrown about like rags, threads and flakes of almost sawdust-consistency clouding the area. The air reeks of explosive and turned earth.

The squad is shaken from a near-miss, but no one is hurt. LaCroix spits on the ground, then yells for you to advance. They may have hosed up, but the VC should be hit as well. Your first contact, and you get smacked by your own side. You can't shake the feeling that you've got some bad luck.

Weighed down by your gear, the oppressive heat and the general hoagy feeling of having a pressure wave zoom close by your head, you walk forward. When at the position of the VC, you spot little else than bomb craters and Delroy notices a little blood on the shrubs and ground.

The order is given to advance. You spot a little trail between the trees looking like an animal trail, but can't tell if it's disturbed.

Do you..

A) ..Follow the trail. It's not ideal for cover, but doesn't look like a human trail either.

B) Try to cut your way through the shrubs. They're relatively thin and wont' be too hard to sneak through, although you will make noise.

C) Stop in the throes of analysis paralysis, waiting for a friendly to come to your side and advice.

((Sorry for the wait, still trying to work out how the rules work. Using LaCroixs FO skill, the 105mm gunner made his proficiency roll. Checks are made with [attributexD6], and all 6s are successes, 5 as well if you have the relevant skill, like we have Eagle Eye for Search and Observe actions. Unfortunately, the gunner also rolled more 1s than successes, leading to a FUBAR result. FUBARs are regular successes, but something really unfortunate happens along with them (more or less like a botch in WoD or glitch in Shadowrun). In this case, a round targeted the spotters position, and we got whacked.

No injury, but we have one point of Supression, which means we move as if we were one category more encumbered and have -1 Proficiency till it clears up. Dale also incurs a point of Doubt fatigue, as being bombed by his friends doesn't fit his Idealistic alignment towards the war.

Also, we have gotten the hidden achievement Danger Close, worth 1 additional victory point!
))

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 6, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What are we, not a Pointman? Go A) and show them what they taught us in... Pointman Institute for Pointing Men or something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

JcDent posted:

What are we, not a Pointman? Go A) and show them what they taught us in... Pointman Institute for Pointing Men or something.

D There's blood, where's the blood trail?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

D There's blood, where's the blood trail?

Presumably the wound has been dressed, there's no spots leading away from the bomb damage.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JcDent posted:

Yup

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

JcDent posted:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tias posted:

Presumably the wound has been dressed, there's no spots leading away from the bomb damage.

Oh. Needs more. Bombs.

A

Tias
May 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

Oh. Needs more. Bombs.

A

Odds are poor you'll get more support unless you actually smoke out a sizable enemy force, but your unit does carry stuff like machine guns and M79s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tias posted:

Do you..

Vote: A) ..Follow the trail. It's not ideal for cover, but doesn't look like a human trail either.

• Locked thread