Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
A is the only choice a sexy young man like myself could support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In the zone

You slip down the trail, staying low. It's one of the many trails made and used by the VC in the area, though you had no way of knowing this. Suddenly, all hell breaks loose! A high amount of AK-47 fire opens up, to the point where the operation of the guns flow together into a loud, tearing noise.

You feel a sudden blow, as evading probably made you hit a branch or something. As you get your bearings, you notice that you might want to take cover. You get behind a tree trunk, level your M14, and start taking shots at the elusive enemy, when you suddenly black out.

Darkness..

You were hit and incapacitated during the initial exchange, but didn't even notice the wound. When it hit, you keeled over in shock. Now all is black..

((Well, that sucked! I will roll up the rest of the encounter, and update on Dales fate tonight!))

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Immediately dying an hour into our very first patrol ever is a strangely fitting end

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

At least he managed to get some XP for our next, more cautious character.

Patrol RPG posted:

Your replacement character receives all the XP your previous character had accrued, including what they would have gotten for the mission they died on. If your buddies bring your body home, you get +5 bonus XP--if all they can recover are your dog tags, you get +3 XP instead.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is this one of those CYOA's where the Dm tries to rack up player kills and players are playing their own game of highest death count wins?

Tias
May 25, 2008

FRrrrk

You come to. Bullets are still whizzing over you, but the platoon medic, Doc Gratton, has put something in your face that woke you right up. Your shoulder hurts like poo poo, but seems to be in working order apart from all the blood that came out of it earlier.

"You're... going.. be fine."

You're stiff with fear, but apparently fine, having experienced your first shock-induced fugue state. The fire down the trail has slackened somewhat, but at least two guys are pouring fire your way, as evidenced by two green tracer rounds occasionally stitching the terrain around you. Are they keeping you tied for a counter-attack? Just in the wrong place at the wrong time? You're not sure.

Now..

A) ..You ask to be evacuated. You're hurt, clearly you can't fight!

B) ..Give those Cong assholes what for!

((..nothing so serious! Dale now has 2 "Injury" fatigue and another level of suppression, but is otherwise fine. When you fight, you attack units, after which hits are assigned randomly. You rolled.. poorly.))

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Vote: B) ..Give those Cong assholes what for!

How else are we gonna get PTSD enough to start taking ears?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B, obviously

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Did... did we get shot in the back? While on point? Uh...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Outrail posted:

Did... did we get shot in the back? While on point? Uh...

We got shot in the shoulder in the initial exchange, but blacked out later.

I vote B!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh, well time for that later!

Blam Blam thank you ma'am.

We're an idealist so this is the right move.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

B. Our buddies are in the poo poo, so we ain't got time to bleed.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

B! Our naive hero doesn't know the meaning of fear.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
B. We didn't sign up to run home at the first real action.

Tias
May 25, 2008

((at a festival, update on Tuesday!))

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tias posted:

((at a festival, update on Tuesday!))

:wave: Have a good time!

Tias
May 25, 2008

((I had a good time, but also acquired gastroenteritis, of which I'm still recovering :vomarine: Sorry for the wait, we'll try to get things rolling again!))

In the poo poo

You flop onto a couple of thick roots, trying to determine where the enemy is as you work the action of the M14. You can hear LaCroix bellowing something, but the noise is too thick to tell it out. Firing a couple of rounds at the muzzle fires ahead, backed up by the firepower of your squad, eventually things quiet to a halt. The order to cease firing is given, and you dig in as the platoon gathers.

LaCroix looks you over. "A fine hit, but didn't go through nuthin' important. You're right as a pig in poo poo" he comments, before going to the RTO to give in a sitrep. When he's done talking to the nobles, his expression darkens.

"They want us to go dig 'em out. I said there might be more ahead and they just says we got gunships on tap."

He shakes his head.

"Ah well, nuthin' to it but t'do it. MOVE OUT"

You begin to shake, post-adrenaline jitters setting in, but know in your heart that there is no escape.

ten minutes later..

Bursting through a clearing, you find everything eerily silent.. except a sudden childish laughter. In front of you stands a Vietnamese youth, asking you something in his native language.

You..

A) Have no time for this poo poo. You grab him and apply force while asking him where the VC are.

B) Follow protocol, and turn him in to the platoon S-2. You doubt it will yield anything useful, but sinking to the VCs level is unacceptable.

C) Realizing you can't communicate with him outside of your issued phrasebook, you advance past him and let Platoon decide what to do with him.

((Hurting the kid is a Small Violence action, it will relieve doubt fatigue, which we now have a growing amount of, and which will soon impair us. However, it is also against our alignment. This kind of dilemma is common in the game, and it may be better to commit small atrocities than lapse into larger one later on. Still, a completely clean run can be attempted, and it can also succeed, odds are just pretty grim.))

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.

Time to teach children what's going on in America's jungle. The lesson is fiiiissstsssss.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

B we are an idealist and getting in one battle won't change that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

While I'm pro punching weird children who are laughing in the jungle for no reason, I'm not fond of the trope of torturing someone for info when neither you nor the target understand each other.

So B. :(

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

B.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
B. We follow the rules of war.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
See, this is why we lost Vietnam. Not Cronkite, but our unwillingness to fight children that have no way of communicating with us.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This is an amazing game, thanks for running it Tias!

B

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tias posted:

((I had a good time, but also acquired gastroenteritis, of which I'm still recovering :vomarine: Sorry for the wait, we'll try to get things rolling again!))

:wave: feel better!

Vote: B) Follow protocol, and turn him in to the platoon S-2. You doubt it will yield anything useful, but sinking to the VCs level is unacceptable.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

B)

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
B

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
B

Tias
May 25, 2008

((Update tonight, hopefully. Personal life is hectic.))

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:woop:

Between work, sleep and meals I have about 2 hr of personal time a day these days. Cyoa updates are the bright spark in an otherwise routine existence.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Down the line, kid

You gently but resolutely keep the kid in place till Pvt1c. King arrives. King's 11F - platoon intelligence, and he sits the boy down, offers him some sweets and talks to him in faltering Vietnamese. As the conversation develops, King seems agitated. You crouch, pointing your rifle at the ground, and enquire what is wrong.

"He says the V.C. are dug in around here. If he's not bullshitting, the amount of bunkers and guns says Main Force, the pro gooks. poo poo."

You rankle at the overt derision in Kings voice, as he tars all vietnamese with the same brush. You may be a son of the south, but you don't feel as if all asians merit their race spat out as epithet between the teeth, the way King does it with 'gooks'. Last night he called elephants 'gook trucks'. For real. Some folks just ain't brought up right.

A squad leader, Cpl. Aguillon, saunters up to you. "If he knows where they are, I say we radio for backup."

Your platoon leader, Lt. Williams, comes out of the trees, puffing with exertion for a while, before laying down the law.

"We can't just dust any area that gives you the vapours, Jose. People live there."

He quickly gathers the intel from King, and then rises into a walk, seemingly taking a decision only two heartbeats later.

"We're going to bring up a gunship, I can feel 'em dug in somewhere around here."

The RTO scrambles after him, setting up the "prick-ten". Corporal Aguillon smiles toothily, clearly excited to get a bird backing you up.

They set up their long antennae, and apparently get the helicopter going towards your platoon, ready to rain death on Victor Charlie any minute now!

You wish your unit would..

A) Creep forward through the forest pathways in the general direction of the enemy . While you are scared and your adrenaline is still kicking, your experience today reaffirms the value of infiltration tactics.

B) Stay put and let indirect fire support goad the opposition into your field of fire. You've started enough fights for today.

C) Be relieved. You're sweating bullets, and still have a literal bullet or fragment in your shoulder.

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 7, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A Being a good guy means getting hurt.

Can we change our worldview or are they stuck in after character creation?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
C

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Infiltration tactics? Time to show Charlie that we're better at charlie-ing than he is

A

Tias
May 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

A Being a good guy means getting hurt.

Can we change our worldview or are they stuck in after character creation?

It's perfectly possible, actually, as long as narrative permits.

Usually, the change is tree is :sherman: , that is, idealist -> pragmatic -> egotist, sometimes skipping pragmatic on the way, but righteous -> pragmatic/egotist was common as well, and some people rose to the occasion, switching from egotist to pragmatic or even idealist. Rarely do egotists go righteous, however.

E: I guess an idealist could become righteous as well, but that's delving a bit too alt-right for my taste.

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 3, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: A) Creep forward through the forest pathways in the general direction of the enemy.

• Locked thread