Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’ll be the same wrestlers who likely knew a lot of these dirty open secrets and did gently caress all about it at the time then?

If #speakingout taught us anything about the business it’s that kayfabe wasn’t dead, it just changed into being about noncing instead of wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Skarsnik posted:

She was pretty central to it at the time. If her judgement of the company isn't enough, I'll take all the wrestlers for the next show over randoms on twitter too

Maybe she just needs the money? It's at least a more logical defense than your weird projecting.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Benne posted:

Maybe she just needs the money? It's at least a more logical defense than your weird projecting.

I picked Millie as a good example as she's just been signed to NXT. She clearly doesn't

I'm not sure how taking the judgement of a group of women who were actually there over random twitter users is projecting but okay.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Skarsnik posted:

I picked Millie as a good example as she's just been signed to NXT. She clearly doesn't

I'm not sure how taking the judgement of a group of women who were actually there over random twitter users is projecting but okay.

Considering that Progress are now on the WWE Network her presence could be a contractual obligation. That's not me saying it is, just me saying that her presence isn't a checkmate.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lamuella posted:

Considering that Progress are now on the WWE Network her presence could be a contractual obligation. That's not me saying it is, just me saying that her presence isn't a checkmate.

True

Either way, finding reasons why the opinions of the women who were there isn't actually important really isn't a great look

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

True

Either way, finding reasons why the opinions of the women who were there isn't actually important really isn't a great look

Neither is dismissing the concerns of anyone else who might want assurance that things actually are better now because you desperately want to believe that everything is kosher.

You can enjoy the product all you want, nobody is telling you to stop watching it, but your stance of “this one specific person is there so everything must be fine” is one of those things that let things get to where they were in the first place.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I’ve just gotta have my Kid Lykos II matches

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Neither is dismissing the concerns of anyone else who might want assurance that things actually are better now because you desperately want to believe that everything is kosher.

You can enjoy the product all you want, nobody is telling you to stop watching it, but your stance of “this one specific person is there so everything must be fine” is one of those things that let things get to where they were in the first place.

I'm going to trust the judgement of the many women wrestlers who are involved with these shows and the judgement of wrestlers like Cara and Dan who were extremely vocal during the speaking out movement over twitter users who have all jumped on a rumour, its as simple as that

My motivation for wanting this to work is entirely irrelevant, but if you must know it's because I want wrestlers to start getting paid again. Outside of the NXT lot they've had their livelihood taken away due to no fault of their own. Its a good thing they can start earning a living again

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Before Speaking Out, there were people who seem like really good people working on shows with people who weren't. After Speaking Out, it's almost certain that there will be people who seem like really good people working on shows with people who aren't.

I'm not saying anything specific about Progress now, Progress then, anywhere else, or anyone else. Nor am I telling anyone what they should or shouldn't watch or, more importantly, what they should or shouldn't financially support. I'm just saying that the presence of someone respectable is not necessarily a guarantee of the lack of presence of someone not respectable. Anywhere.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

collocation posted:

Before Speaking Out, there were people who seem like really good people working on shows with people who weren't. After Speaking Out, it's almost certain that there will be people who seem like really good people working on shows with people who aren't.

I'm not saying anything specific about Progress now, Progress then, anywhere else, or anyone else. Nor am I telling anyone what they should or shouldn't watch or, more importantly, what they should or shouldn't financially support. I'm just saying that the presence of someone respectable is not necessarily a guarantee of the lack of presence of someone not respectable. Anywhere.

Absolutely, I agree, but at some point someone is going to have to be trusted. Why not start with the women who actually lived through it?

Its all very easy to say burn it all to the ground, kill off britwres, never trust anyone who worked during that time again but its clearly not that simple

We're talking about people's livelihoods, the way they pay the bills, and the thing they've spent a huge part of their lives training for

Let's never run a show again because @jeffcobbs1983 got angry on twitter?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1363879247966732289

It was true, what a loving mess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well that's pretty poo poo huh

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012

"To reiterate our statement from 20th February, all talent were aware who would be working backstage on the show, and no issues were raised"

These wrestlers haven't worked for months. They gave up their time to follow quarantine procedures to work the show. Who's going to go through all that and feel like they can back out? They have zero power and zero choice in that situation. And Progress have the nerve to pretend that's OK.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShitWres stays poo poo.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm actually curious how many people watched the thing: everything I've seen has been about Robinson and behind the scenes stuff and none about the actual show.

Based on the numbers we have from RevPro though I suspect the answer is 'not many' especially since perhaps with the exception of Lykos returning those RevPro shows were perhaps slightly better? RevPro's first shows were Fite PPVs that clearly didn't do that well (despite certain people claiming that the total silence on social media was because people were scared to talk about RevPro so they did it privately) since they pivoted to Youtube/Twitch and they totalled 250 live views for the last British Title match they did (Ospreay/RKJ: keep in mind that Ospreay is meant to be a big UK star) and sub-200 for the last show they did. Those numbers are a little bit below what an average ChocoPro show does live I think and their bigger ones smoke that; YMZ's first YouTube show smashed them as well. Probably not a good sign for overall fan interest if your (admittedly terribly promoted) live free Youtube show is doing less viewers than a pair of Japanese promotions that probably could be described as microindies: especially YMZ which is almost as niche as you can get for a promotion that regularly airs stuff. If nothing else; its an indication at the sheer lack of interest in British wrestling at the moment: even when its on Youtube for free with a New Japan wrestler in the main event no one cares.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

IceAgeComing posted:

I'm actually curious how many people watched the thing: everything I've seen has been about Robinson and behind the scenes stuff and none about the actual show.

Based on the numbers we have from RevPro though I suspect the answer is 'not many' especially since perhaps with the exception of Lykos returning those RevPro shows were perhaps slightly better? RevPro's first shows were Fite PPVs that clearly didn't do that well (despite certain people claiming that the total silence on social media was because people were scared to talk about RevPro so they did it privately) since they pivoted to Youtube/Twitch and they totalled 250 live views for the last British Title match they did (Ospreay/RKJ: keep in mind that Ospreay is meant to be a big UK star) and sub-200 for the last show they did. Those numbers are a little bit below what an average ChocoPro show does live I think and their bigger ones smoke that; YMZ's first YouTube show smashed them as well. Probably not a good sign for overall fan interest if your (admittedly terribly promoted) live free Youtube show is doing less viewers than a pair of Japanese promotions that probably could be described as microindies: especially YMZ which is almost as niche as you can get for a promotion that regularly airs stuff. If nothing else; its an indication at the sheer lack of interest in British wrestling at the moment: even when its on Youtube for free with a New Japan wrestler in the main event no one cares.

The poorly promoted part is going to come into it. As is the fact that at some point Rev Pro seems to have got rid of their youtube channel and started from scratch. Which means that while they have 36k followers on Twitter and 15k on Instagram they have less than a thousand subscribers on Youtube. To put that in context in terms of reach, Makai (the weird wrestling theatre thing that Hikaru Shida does) has 4.5k followers. Hell, Southside (an indie that Rev Pro bought out in 2019) still has 10k followers.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

IceAgeComing posted:

I actually watched it! Progress was my favourite promotion for a few years, so I decided to check out how their return went. It was... watchable? After getting used to clap crowds and enhanced audio, watching an empty arena show took a while getting used to. Also they had a lot of production issues: camerawork was extremely bad, the hard cam didn't even capture the entire ring and the audio mixing was woeful at points.

The first round of the tournament was nothing special, no one really stood out like some of the top prospects in previous iterations. The #1 contender's four way was fun for what it was, Lykos' return was pretty good and the main event with Cara Noir and Dan Moloney was borderline great. It's just... with the WWE connection there really is nothing I'm excited about looking forward.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

BTF posted:

The first round of the tournament was nothing special, no one really stood out like some of the top prospects in previous iterations. The #1 contender's four way was fun for what it was, Lykos' return was pretty good and the main event with Cara Noir and Dan Moloney was borderline great. It's just... with the WWE connection there really is nothing I'm excited about looking forward.

This is where I'm at too. I will be super excited to see Riptide's first show post-COVID, probably featuring a lot of these same talents, but I've just soured on PROGRESS so thoroughly. I don't begrudge anyone on these shows from getting a payday but their management is 100% toxic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

This is where I'm at too. I will be super excited to see Riptide's first show post-COVID, probably featuring a lot of these same talents, but I've just soured on PROGRESS so thoroughly. I don't begrudge anyone on these shows from getting a payday but their management is 100% toxic.

Kind of same. My interests in British wrestling post covid lie either with people doing weird and creative things (Riptide, Resurgence, etc) or people local enough that I can actually get to shows once shows happen again. Like, if Spike Trivet brings Pro Wrestling Ambush back in Ely, or Pro Wrestling East ever run a second show, I will be happy to go along.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Lumbermouth posted:

I don't know if they will be back to be honest. They filed a request to get the company struck off from Companies House early last year (which would dissolve the company), then withdrew that application to instead rename the company to something unrelated to wrestling (new name is about Video Production) and then moving the company to a London address. Their 2019 accounts show that in August 2019 they had debts of over £17k while only having £300 of assets - while these things can be fudged slightly I don't think that's a sign that the company is particularly healthy. They may well come back and the name change is an attempt to diversify: but I would think that it might be more likely that they just don't come back especially since they used a lot of people that were implicated in Speaking Out or are now signed by WWE.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

I don't know if they will be back to be honest. They filed a request to get the company struck off from Companies House early last year (which would dissolve the company), then withdrew that application to instead rename the company to something unrelated to wrestling (new name is about Video Production) and then moving the company to a London address. Their 2019 accounts show that in August 2019 they had debts of over £17k while only having £300 of assets - while these things can be fudged slightly I don't think that's a sign that the company is particularly healthy. They may well come back and the name change is an attempt to diversify: but I would think that it might be more likely that they just don't come back especially since they used a lot of people that were implicated in Speaking Out or are now signed by WWE.

Are you talking about RIPTIDE with this? They're still selling merch and talking about various things, but yeah I can see them having to close shop as a promotion (which is heartbreaking)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm sure the reason is the cost involved, but Riptide would have seemed like the most likely UK promotion to still be producing during the pandemic if they could find a way to do it safely. The cinematic style would reduce the need for crowds, and the IWTV deal would ensure distribution.

But then again production costs would be much higher, so that probably puts paid to that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

shoot, really hoping this isn’t the end.

https://twitter.com/riptidewres/status/1365000755283824642?s=21

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I hope it isn’t either, but I’m kind of glad they did this. A lot of their narrative and title history is intertwined with SpeakingOut so a fresh reboot when it’s safe would be for the best.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1365011681407950848

Also PROGRESS put out another statement. It is just as bad. They really need to be paying someone to do their socials.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lumbermouth posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1365011681407950848

Also PROGRESS put out another statement. It is just as bad. They really need to be paying someone to do their socials.

Maybe sometimes something is so obviously rotten that it does you a service by just being itself

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

BritWres: Nothing of honour is contained here.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

This is the only sensible post I’ve seen from a promotion, I’ve seen so many advertising shows and/or Roster additions which if you ask me is a bit to keen there’s no guarantee they will happen plus slot of the talent is going to be far from ring shape.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/dougwilliamsuk/status/1371421192817623043?s=21

Finally! Some slightly positive news about BritWres

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is cool. Despite being rusty, I really enjoyed getting to see him on the NOAH 4th & 5th January 2020 shows, both teaming with Chris Ridgeway against Minoru Tanaka & Marufuji & teaming with STINGER against Ratel's & Keiji Mutoh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlcalaihIY

OTT lives (allegedly)
I wonder who'll be left when/if they come back

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wonder who'll be left when/if they come back

https://twitter.com/hannahpearson0/status/1407458232738713600

Apparently it's everyone.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is BritWres still dead

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

Is BritWres still dead

WWE raiding it put it on a iron lung, SpeakingOut finished the job.

For the record, it deserved it, just stating fact.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Benne posted:

Is BritWres still dead

Hopefully

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Kill BritWres again just to be sure!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I think COVID has at least tried on that front

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jfc can't you find like 20 Mad Kurts to round out your card instead of dudes that got banned from pop punk shows due to the increase of unplanned pregnancies?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not really.

Virtually everyone worth a poo poo turned out to be a nonce or they’re in the NXT UK/Progress WWE extended universe bubble and still working alongside some of the previously mentioned nonces there.

I know people who were training at a school run by a couple of people who ended up in NXT UK and it sounds like the school is done, it shut down at the start of COVID and there doesn’t seem to be any hope of it coming back. They were one of the bigger schools in the south west and turning out quite a lot of decent talent and the pipeline just seems to have been shut off completely. That’s probably being repeated up and down the country if a school that “big” has had to close up shop.

Britwres is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Let's see.

You have can still use:
Chris Brookes
Mad Kurt
and maybe Jamie Hayter?